Yamaha pre out

gwh
gwh Posts: 1,451
Before I pop the hood I thought I would check here first to see if anyone here has had a similar issue. Model # RX-A3070 had it about a year bought it off an individual new factory sealed. Center pre out signal is very low I have to max out the gain then go into positive territory on the overall volume just to hear it. It's not in the interconnect or any other wiring I've swapped it all around. Left & right pre out work fine.

Thoughts?

Thank you.
HT:
Martin Logan Motion 40
Martin Logan Motion 50XT
Emotiva Airmotiv E2
SVS SB16 Ultra
Def Tech Reference Sub
Yamaha RX-A3070

Signal Cable speaker wires & interconnects.

Comments

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited May 2018
    I would re run the auto eq. Notice at that time if the chirps are as loud too.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • gwh
    I would re run the auto eq. Notice at that time if the chirps are as loud too.

I tried that it did not put out enough volume to be recognized.
    Thanks
    HT:
    Martin Logan Motion 40
    Martin Logan Motion 50XT
    Emotiva Airmotiv E2
    SVS SB16 Ultra
    Def Tech Reference Sub
    Yamaha RX-A3070

• jeremymarcinko
    Have you swapped out the amp or channel on the amp to be sure the issue is consistent with the center channel and not the amp?
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • jeremymarcinko
  • gwh
    edited May 2018
    Yes I've moved everything around without any luck. When I get time I'm going to open it up and look for anything obvious after that I guess I'll send it in. :(
    HT:
    Martin Logan Motion 40
    Martin Logan Motion 50XT
    Emotiva Airmotiv E2
    SVS SB16 Ultra
    Def Tech Reference Sub
    Yamaha RX-A3070

• jeremymarcinko
    Don’t open it. If the reset doesn’t fix just send it in. The warranty could be void if you tamper with it.
  • gwh
    No warranty and I tried to reset with no luck a while back.
    HT:
    Martin Logan Motion 40
    Martin Logan Motion 50XT
    Emotiva Airmotiv E2
    SVS SB16 Ultra
    Def Tech Reference Sub
    Yamaha RX-A3070

• GospelTruth
    GospelTruth Posts: 403
    I don't know about this model specifically, but I bought a RX-V1 from a guy about 8 years ago that had the left channel a lot lower than the right when the balance was set to the middle position. Probably why I got such a good deal on it.

Needless to say, it was bothersome for me. I looked all over the internet and found something about some "toggle" in the pre-out that may have been in the wrong position. I was not using an external amplifier in my given situation. So I put jumpers on the main pre-out and in for both the left and right channels.

From what I read, you can try the following:
    • Unplug the receiver and remove all connections.
    • Use a metal coat hanger or solid copper wire that will fit into the pre-out hole.
    • Insert the wire into the hole to "toggle" the switch. You may have to move this around a little.

I think when I inserted the jumpers, this in essence flipped the toggle. I don't know if that will work for your situation, but it may be worth a try. It worked for me on my older Yamaha. It sounds stupid, I know. But it did work.

Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • jeremymarcinko
    Out of curiosity is the center channel volume okay when letting the 3070 do the amplifying?
  • gwh
    Out of curiosity is the center channel volume okay when letting the 3070 do the amplifying?

Yes it's fine running it off the receiver.
    HT:
    Martin Logan Motion 40
    Martin Logan Motion 50XT
    Emotiva Airmotiv E2
    SVS SB16 Ultra
    Def Tech Reference Sub
    Yamaha RX-A3070

• gwh
    I don't know about this model specifically, but I bought a RX-V1 from a guy about 8 years ago that had the left channel a lot lower than the right when the balance was set to the middle position. Probably why I got such a good deal on it.

Needless to say, it was bothersome for me. I looked all over the internet and found something about some "toggle" in the pre-out that may have been in the wrong position. I was not using an external amplifier in my given situation. So I put jumpers on the main pre-out and in for both the left and right channels.

From what I read, you can try the following:
    • Unplug the receiver and remove all connections.
    • Use a metal coat hanger or solid copper wire that will fit into the pre-out hole.
    • Insert the wire into the hole to "toggle" the switch. You may have to move this around a little.

I think when I inserted the jumpers, this in essence flipped the toggle. I don't know if that will work for your situation, but it may be worth a try. It worked for me on my older Yamaha. It sounds stupid, I know. But it did work.

Hey thanks I'll check that out!
    HT:
    Martin Logan Motion 40
    Martin Logan Motion 50XT
    Emotiva Airmotiv E2
    SVS SB16 Ultra
    Def Tech Reference Sub
    Yamaha RX-A3070