Cooling fans work/ help?

Kingkwas
Kingkwas Posts: 92
edited May 2018 in Electronics
Do cooling fans help increase performance?

https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-Top-Exhaust-Receivers-Components/dp/B01LW1Q4X9

Played Fury tonight on a 4k disc. Swear that by the end it didn’t sound as good. Less punch. Afterwards when taking out the DVD, the Marantz was hot to touch.

Thoughts?
AVR: Marantz SR 5011
L/ R: Polk Audio 703 LSiM (Bi Amp'd)
C: Polk Audio 255c - LS
R: Def Tech
Sub: PSW 505 (12 inch)
DVD: Oppo UDP 203
TV: 2016 Sony XBR 75X850D

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited May 2018
    Excess heat is the enemy of electronics. I doubt if the fan will hurt, and might help. The issue I have with cooling fans is my hearing is pretty good, and the fan noise between songs, or in quiet passages really annoyed me.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited May 2018
    I have two of these, both S8s. One on top my Denon X4100, the other on top my B&K. I am thinking about one for my Xbox One to help as well

These run super quiet and you can program them to be one speed, or increase as the temp rises.

All with a couple button clicks.

dhp93dwl1874.jpeg
    ddbqd9hk35vg.jpeg
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Many component cooling fans now have adjustable voltages to minimize fan noise. I ran mine at 6.5volts and could not hear it, even when right on top of it; and it kept my HCA-1500 bacon fryer cool.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • EndersShadow
    edited May 2018
    @steveinaz I liked the way yours looked too, and it can hold more weight than these. I think your not supposed to put something more than 30lbs on it, which in my case means my AVR barely would work on top it (if it would actually fit in the unit like that).

In this case, the little button with a fan logo on it (right side) actually indicates if the fans are running, and if so at what speed. You can set it to just let them run 24/7 at a given speed, or let it go to automatic where it will ramp up as the temp ramps up (which is what I have it set to).

At top speed they are VERY LOUD. Mine tend to stay at whisper quiet though if I'm getting ready to run my Audyseey XT32 calibration (during which I kill breakers to the fridge, AC, fans, etc) then I can hear it, but thats a very rare thing.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Wish I could remember the brand....hmmm...yes the build quality was nice, and the paint finish looked just like my amplifier texture/color. I sat mine on top to draw hot air up and out (through the internal heat sinks).
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • EndersShadow
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Wish I could remember the brand....hmmm...yes the build quality was nice, and the paint finish looked just like my amplifier texture/color. I sat mine on top to draw hot air up and out (through the internal heat sinks).

Cool components :smile:

Here is your review thread on it (read it a few times perhaps :wink:)
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    edited May 2018
    The fan looks to have been designed for Marantz. I suggest active cooling to help with longevity. Mine used to get very hot, I bought one and I’ve set the fan auto temp to turn on and adjust speed based on heat output of the receiver. The fan always turns on after a few minutes but never gets out of the lowest speed. It’s also a great match style wise.

kuusgbgx28c3.jpeg
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • zeppage2
    zeppage2 Posts: 196
    edited May 2018
    Thanks to this thread, I picked one up (AIRCOM T8) through Amazon.
    I am interested to see if it will survive atop a Rogue Atlas Magnum ll with a tube cage/cover.
  • EndersShadow
    Even if it does it will still likely run very high and possibly loud, but it can’t hurt to try...
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    I have one of the Aircom on top of my bedroom SR5010. The TV stand it's in doesn't have very good ventilation so I added one. Before I added i after 30 minutes of light use it was hot enough to cook an egg, now nice and cool.

I set the fan to auto, I can't hear it till it's over 3/4 and then it's not very noticeable
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • jimbo1421
    jimbo1421 Posts: 772
    I just set up a pair of AC Infinity Aircom S8's. I find that the half speed setting is just audible at 8' during quiet passages. I am still tinkering to see if it needs to go to 3/4 speed to stay below 88 degrees.
    5.1 System:
    TCL R613 55" 4K
    Front: SRS-3.1TL
    Center: CS400i
    Surround: Monitor 10B
    PSW10 subwoofer
    Onkyo PR-SC886P Pre/Pro
    NAD T955 5 channel power amplifier
    Technics SL-1710 MK2 turntable
    Audio-Technica AT14Sa cartridge
    Parasound P3 pre-amp
    Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray
    2014 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz

2.0 Office System:
    Monitor 10A (Peerless)
    Outlaw 1050 receiver
    Parasound HCA-1000A power amp
    MacPro
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    a06s6afod7vb.jpg
    I paid $30 for 2 little usb powered fans that pulls the heat up and pushes the heat out. I can watch movies at reference levels for hours and the old Onkyo AVR stays cool as a cucumber.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • EndersShadow
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    a06s6afod7vb.jpg
    I paid $30 for 2 little usb powered fans that pulls the heat up and pushes the heat out. I can watch movies at reference levels for hours and the old Onkyo AVR stays cool as a cucumber.

I started with doing that, but these coolers work better and are nicer because they are fully automatic.

Double the price of what you paid, but IMHO worth it. I'm even tempted to get one for my XBox One
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited June 2018

No doubt the one you got is a good one,, the next one I get will be one of those. I have a Denon that I could move my old ones to, the Denon not used that much, but can get pretty warm when it's been running a while.

Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)