Landscapers - I need to pick your brain....

Options
treitz3
treitz3 Posts: 18,313
Hello all and Happy Memorial Day weekend to you!

I recently saw a commercial for some kind of "precision" Roundup to target individual weeds/plants that are mixed in with ornamental grasses/flowers that you do not want to kill. Went to Lowe's today and they have this gel that comes in a 5oz deodorant bottle. Yeah, that ain't gonna work with what I got.

Here's what I'm looking at. I have around 300lf of monkey grass that borders the front of the house and various gardens throughout the property. On some of these areas, the crabgrass has infiltrated into the monkey grass and I'm quite tired of trying every week or so trying to pick it all out, only having to do the same thing a week or so later......and the end result may look better but there is no way I can possibly get everything. That would become a full time job.

So, short of digging it all up and planting all of the bulbs again in the areas that have been infiltrated, what suggestions do you have that will do the following;

1 - Kill the crabgrass or what I call farmgrass
2 - NOT kill the monkey grass

I must have spent an hour or so reading all of the labels and directions and I did not run across any product that could do both. What options do I have here?

Tom
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• treitz3
    Options
    Here is what the crabgrass looks like...

12621-004-AC05529D.jpg

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Garden torch; add a little heat to those unwanted grasses and they’ll die of in a few days
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,554
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Crabgrass killer affect the monkey grass?
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    Agree all the chemical kills are pretty much either kill everything or not enough. Using them on a windy day leads to overspray. Get yourself one of these bad boys and have some fun.

Doesn't take much @100K BTU's to kill a weed.

I have used Roundup Pro with the addition of a product called Crossbow which will take down anything. Which includes EVERYTHING . I have even used it to kill bamboo which many say is impossible to kill.

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Dragon-VT-2-23-000-BTU/dp/B00004Z2FP/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1527435406&sr=8-1&keywords=weed+killer+torch
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • treitz3
    Options
    Since I had my own business, I have many commercial accounts. One of them is with Site One, which is where all the professional landscapers go to get their products. They have something I bought in concentrate for like $80 some odd dollars. 2 ounces per gallon and everything I spray is dead within 24 hours with the exception of trees at about a 4 foot height. Those take a couple of days to kill but they are dead after being sprayed with this stuff. I'm covered there and probably have a 2-3 year supply of the stuff, even though I use it regularly all over the 1.3 acres I have.

Hadn't thought about the torch idea but I will definitely entertain it. I have one out in the shop, I'll just have to dig it out and give her a whirl. Thanks for that idea Jeremy and Mikey.

Ivan, the last time I used crabgrass killer on a spot where the crabgrass invaded a section of the monkey grass is now a dead spot and I need to dig up bulbs from other areas to patch it. That was my test spot and the test failed, miserably as I now have a 10" spot with nothing but dirt. Lesson learned. DOH!

Tom
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Options
    Yeahp the weed killer options are pretty much grasses and broad leaf. Any application to kill crabgrass is going to kill all grass.

Pre-emergent is really your only defense for crab grass. Once it’s established it’s going to be there’s for the season. Fortunately it dies off in the fall.
    Unfortunately it’s seeds can be dormant in the soil for years. So a couple applications of crab grass preventer/preemergent early and late spring is all you can do outside of killing everything, digging it up or burning it out.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    WWCSD?
    cr6qdp5ab8cs.png

What Would Carl Spackler Do?

I once bought ladybugs to get rid of scale on my Crotons...Maybe you should get a specialized goat to eat the unwanted weeds?

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    Naaaaahhhhhh

• Mikey081057
    Options
    A mixture of

1% Glyphosate
    .08% Imazapic
    .04% Diquat
    Triclopyr (Crossbow) app 1.5 oz / gal

This makes you a deadly weed killer (Glyphosate/Triclopyr) that acts quickly (diquat) that will prevent anything from growing (Imazipac) for about a season.

• treitz3
    Options
    Found this elsewhere....
    You could use a handheld sprayer (pump) with long handle and place the nozzle directly on the offending plant and spritz it directly. Another way might be to mix the weed killer with something like aloe gel or make a paste of corn starch and water, then use a small paint brush to dab the offending plant.

Tom
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    Feel free to come try out any of these processes on my yard... ;)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    Options
    I would suggest that you explain the issues with experienced people that work at a large nursery and listen to their suggestions. I would also bring samples of the vegetation to the nursery. Visit on a weekday and buy what they suggest and follow instructions. There is usually no quick or easy solution, sorry. Have fun.