Audio Fidelity is closing down

Comments

• Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited May 2018
    cfrizz wrote: »
    I would like more rock titles released, The Eagles, Beach Boys, Michael Jackson, Carly Simon, James Taylor, the list is endless.

But then they would charge 30-50.00 per disc, and I'm not about to pay that when I already have good cd's that cost me 15.00 to 20.00 brand new!

I guess no one order from importcds.com. Currently, Carly Simon and James Taylor titles on MoFi SACD starts at under $13.00

https://www.importcds.com/search?mod=AP&ft=SACD&lb=Mobile Fidelity#!?pagenum=1&sortby=PriceLowHigh

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    I purchased a bunch of Audio Fidelity SACDs over the years, but did not pay $29 for them. More like $18 to $22. Especially appreciated the Eric Clapton material.

Just an observation here. The label has tended to put out obscure or largely forgotten back catalog items on SACD that could also be found on CD for $5. Weather Report's Heavy Weather, while a great album, can be bought along with four other CDs for $18 as part of the Original Album Classics sets:

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Album-Classics-WEATHER-REPORT/dp/B0062EKY0O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1526920202&sr=8-2&keywords=weather+report+box+set

For most people who still buy music, that's more than adequate. Much of the Audio Fidelity material could also be purchased as high resolution downloads for a bit less than their SACDs cost. I have stopped buying SACDs in favor of high resolution downloads.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,781
    edited May 2018
    I find ironic that one reason people preferred vinyl over CD/SACD was because of the larger artwork and print info. Now many of those people are downloading their music and saying how convenient it is........shakes head.

AF's Eric Clapton - Behind the Sun SACD just arrived and MoFi's Super Tramp - Breakfast in America SACD arrives tomorrow. I love physical media because I can hold it, look at it, own it, trade it, sell it and it sounds so good. B)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    I found their Behind the Sun remaster was a huge improvement over the original CD or vinyl.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,548
    I'm surprised you didn't go for the SHM SACD of Supertramp Jesse...
  • F1nut
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I'm surprised you didn't go for the SHM SACD of Supertramp Jesse...

Ha, I forgot about that one.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    F1nut wrote: »
    I find ironic that one reason people preferred vinyl over CD/SACD was because of the larger artwork and print info. Now many of those people are downloading their music and saying how convenient it is........shakes head.

AF's Eric Clapton - Behind the Sun SACD just arrived and MoFi's Super Tramp - Breakfast in America SACD arrives tomorrow. I love physical media because I can hold it, look at it, own it, trade it, sell it and it sounds so good. B)

Super great album. Can't stop listening.

Just Another Nervous Wreck , crank it up!

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,889
    The best thing about vinyl is everyone is putting their music on vinyl..

How many different copies of brothers in arms, dark side of the moon, moving pictures, etc can one keep buying??

I can buy Chris Stapleton on CD, and Vinyl..

Like I said my biggest grip is there isn’t enough music being put on SACD/DVD-A/Gold CD’s, and its mostly classical or classic rock, I was shocked they did Rage Against The Machine.

Let’s see more of the 90’s Rock Acts..

Tool
    NIN
    Pearl Jam
    Blind Melon
    Alice In Chains ( ok there is a greatest hits)

There is a ton of 90’s rock bands I would purchase..

Oh and going back to classic rock, all of Zeppelin and Floyd should have been done years ago..
  • pitdogg2
    I agree with you Larry. There needs to be more from the better bands from the 90's and 2000's. I can't believe there has been no Zeppelin at all except one DVD-A. There's a TON of stuff I'd like to see on SACD from the 70's all the way to now...

Why it is all not recorded in DSD and put out as a hybrid is beyond me.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    The best thing about vinyl is everyone is putting their music on vinyl..

How many different copies of brothers in arms, dark side of the moon, moving pictures, etc can one keep buying??

I can buy Chris Stapleton on CD, and Vinyl..

Like I said my biggest grip is there isn’t enough music being put on SACD/DVD-A/Gold CD’s, and its mostly classical or classic rock, I was shocked they did Rage Against The Machine.

Let’s see more of the 90’s Rock Acts..

Tool
    NIN
    Pearl Jam
    Blind Melon
    Alice In Chains ( ok there is a greatest hits)

There is a ton of 90’s rock bands I would purchase..

Oh and going back to classic rock, all of Zeppelin and Floyd should have been done years ago..

MoFi did Judas Priest albums. Screaming For Vengeance, I was kind of surprised. I'd have thought they'd go for only the earlier stuff.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    FYI on the Blind Melon
    The originals need some real work. I'm a big fan but most of their music doesn't sound very good on revealing systems....I call it the "Journey" syndrome

Another FYI, Journey's SACD suxx, best recordings are on vinyl
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,089
    I still far prefer the sound of analog to digital, but the problem for me is with a very young little boy running around, I never have time to listen to it. I am even looking into solid state amplification at this time because my son is tall enough to grab onto the power tubes of my monoblocks
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Anyway to put a plexi cover over the mono's John?
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,020
    I still far prefer the sound of analog to digital, but the problem for me is with a very young little boy running around, I never have time to listen to it. I am even looking into solid state amplification at this time because my son is tall enough to grab onto the power tubes of my monoblocks

There need be no shame in the soiled state.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    I would of bought that Super Tramp a couple of days ago as I was about to buy it, I decided to listen to the pristine A&M Vinyl copy I got, and after listening to it I decided I did not need the SACD, the vinyl sounded just fine to these ears.

I did get a Lowell Fulson SACD instead as I did not need the Breakfast In America after giving the Vinyl a listen, also got a Terry Evans SACD also.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • pitdogg2

He'll only do it once if it's on and up to temp.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,013

Don't forget about smells. That woosh of air from the new album sleeve coming out of its cover. new ink on the covers also. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    The people who were into vinyl with their Crosley players that touted how they actually liked the snaps and crackles who then gave up and moved to streaming are what is known as hipsters. The rest of us still prefer vinyl at home, downloads and streaming in the car. It probably cost Honda 25 cents a piece for the speakers in my car, making the source irrelevant.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,013
    edited May 2018
    I just re-read this thread and like me, some of us have never heard of Audio Fidelity. I don't buy SACD's and High-Quality records because my income level was limited and I have this speaker thing, like a few also have. :p

But did I miss their advertising in Stereophile, or Sound and Visions, the 2 mags. I get every month or so?

Maybe , since I didn't SEARCH on the web for SACD'd or HQ vinyl, I missed out that they had Quality RECORDINGS for the people who care about GREAT SOUND reproduction products.

I really feel bad that Audio Fidelity "came and went" and I didn't even take notice that he was here. :(

I'm getting more INCOME now and can splurge here and there, so maybe I'll pay MORE attention to those ads in the back of my Mags. Oh yea, I get Music Direct also. And I have perused the Album section many, many times thinking how nice it would be to own some 180 gram versions of those records I already have that were made by that mail-order record club.

Any opinions from you guys and gals on those mail order records I received compared to say an original regular record pressing?

I would think a 180 gram. would be way above the other two in sound quality. Are they that much better?

I've never done a comparison here.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • F1nut
    I'm pleased to report the MoFi SACD of Breakfast In America is excellent.

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2

Cool nice to know.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,306
    But then they would charge 30-50.00 per disc, and I'm not about to pay that when I already have good cd's that cost me 15.00 to 20.00 brand new!

$30 to $50 is the going rate right now. I have no problem paying those prices because the music sounds WAY better than those $15 to $20 versions.
    Those that know and have a system to where the differences aren't "minimal" know. Those that don't know they don't know are blessed that they don't know they don't know. You know?

I do and so does Jesse.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    The price of SACD's is why I pursued vinyl instead. I feel that an LP, properly transferred to digital is at least equal to SACD in quality, if not better and vinyl playback for just listening is as good as it gets.

MoFi Brothers In Arms

SACD $29.99
    180g vinyl $34.99

Buy the SACD and save $5.00.
    Buy the vinyl and be prepared to be immersed even more so than the SACD.....

Just sayin'....

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    treitz3 wrote: »

$30 to $50 is the going rate right now. I have no problem paying those prices because the music sounds WAY better than those $15 to $20 versions.
    Those that know and have a system to where the differences aren't "minimal" know. Those that don't know they don't know are blessed that they don't know they don't know. You know?

I do and so does Jesse.

Tom

I do know and appreciate the difference. But when one's job disappears but manages to transition into a much lower paying job to keep working but with a lot less disposable income, there are far more important expenses/purchases to make and it isn't SACDs.

I love my system and my music, but I let my common sense guide me, not my latest want.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • treitz3
    Cfrizz, you know I love's ya' girl but what does that have to do with paying for quality audio and this thread? Those who are fortunate to pay for such service does so. Those that fall behind for whatever reason (and I have been there myself) catch up later on....usually at a higher price.

This does not change anything with quality of the recording itself. Those that can? Will. Those that can't? Perhaps but get second hand, same quality recordings, albeit at a higher cost......unless one gets lucky.

Tom
  • Derm
    Derm Posts: 95
    edited May 2018

MoFi Brothers In Arms

Buy the SACD and save $5.00.

I have these 2 ^^ as well as Fleetwood Mac Rumors.
    I have started buying one SACD each month which will help me build a collection while relatively unnoticeable on finances.
    I am putting together a must have list for the SACD collection.
    I do need to assemble a separate “musical” system sometime in the near future though to really enjoy these more as the HT system just doesn’t cut it.
    Not into vinyl at all but appreciate that others are.
    Speakers
    Front - LsiM707, Front presence - LsiM703, Future ATMOS - VS 700LS
    Center - LsiM706c, Rear surrounds - 80 F/X LS, VS 900LS. Sub - (pair) Klipsch R-12SW
    AVR - Yamaha RX-A3010
    AMP - NAD C275BEE
    Main HT - LG 4K 75”, Sony UBXP800M2
    Bedroom HT - LG 55" 4K, Philips BDP7501 4K UHD player , Yamaha SRT-1500 sound projector, Spare room HT LG 50” plasma, Yamaha BD-671
    Office - Pioneer X-CM56, Bose iPod dock
    In Storage - 4 - RTiA9, RtiA3, CSiA6, FXiA4, Blackstone TL1

The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,589
    Jesse what are you using as a SACD player these days since you sold your Marantz?

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Cfrizz, you know I love's ya' girl but what does that have to do with paying for quality audio and this thread? Those who are fortunate to pay for such service does so. Those that fall behind for whatever reason (and I have been there myself) catch up later on....usually at a higher price.

This does not change anything with quality of the recording itself. Those that can? Will. Those that can't? Perhaps but get second hand, same quality recordings, albeit at a higher cost......unless one gets lucky.

Tom

Your statement implied that only a select few were in the know and every one else were clueless, which simply isn't true. I know and appreciate the difference in sound quality, and if I can find a good deal, I will get it. But the plain truth of the matter is that the pickings unless you are into classical music is very small, and every new good selection that comes out rarely is simply too expensive for a good many people.

I don't begrudge anyone who has the funds the ability to buy the higher quality recordings, but don't put the rest of us down if we DO know the difference if we can't afford it or simply don't think it's worth the cost.

Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,089
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Jesse what are you using as a SACD player these days since you sold your Marantz?

Jesse does not actually listen to music, he just interprets the smoke signals. His cave has yet to be approved for electricity.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    cfrizz wrote: »

Tom

Your statement implied that only a select few were in the know and every one else were clueless, which simply isn't true.
    I will stop the discussion right there between you and I. What I may have implied and what I meant got read the wrong way. You are right and I am wrong. Please everybody, disregard as I do not wish to debate.

It's Memorial Day weekend and all I'd like to do is relax. Thanks to those who have sacrificed for our country to do what is is I am doing now.....relaxing. Under freedom.

My hat is off to all that have served.

Out for tonight. May God bless.....

Tom