Stainable Wood Filler

Options
kevhed72
kevhed72 Posts: 4,958
I am staining our deck and already tried 2 type of wood fillers for screw holes and imperfections. Both trys yielded a much lighter color of filler than the stain itself....what am I missing here???

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Filler never takes color the same, mainly because it's not wood. Using wood plugs with the grain going in the same direction would get you closer, but what a PITA.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• kevhed72
    Options
    PITA should be printed on the can of wood filler. I know someone who claimed there is a special filler to be stained over but I cant find it!
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    Just use pieces of old underwear.... That seems to hold stains
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • F1nut
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    PITA should be printed on the can of wood filler. I know someone who claimed there is a special filler to be stained over but I cant find it!

There isn't a filler made that will take stain exactly the same as wood. Even different boards of the same wood species take stain differently.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    even if you countersink the screws 1/2 way down and use a dowel it will stain different. I've tried many different fillers from Elmer's to some stuff that cost $30 for a small can, all were about the same.

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    Just take a chain, a hammer, some gravel and other odds and ends, and, distress it. Then no need for filler :)
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    Options
    Stain the wood first then match the wood filler to the stained wood.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,649
    Options
    Not sure why you'd want to fill the screw holes. It'll be a beotch when/if you need to replace any boards... JMHO
  • kevhed72
    Options
    Thats a great point....but too late!!
    I tried hitting the filled spotts will drops of stain and let it sit a bit before brushing it in. Then went back and stained the entire board. It worked better but not great. I went overkill with filler and stain on the stairs since this area will take the brunt of traffic and the sun. Ill post pics tomorrow but I must get this done before the dog days of a SW Georgia summer.
  • kevhed72
    Options
    bikezappa wrote: »
    Stain the wood first then match the wood filler to the stained wood.
    Home Deblow recommended mixing stain with this stuff to color the filler....I poured alot of stain in here but it was still way too light. jh1b885ohzon.jpg

• F1nut
    Options
    Key word on that can, PLASTIC.

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Just use pieces of old underwear.... That seems to hold stains

LOL. Best advice yet.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • kevhed72
    Options
    Yesterday we had perfect weather and then it rain overnight. I’m moving on to the rest of the deck this morning and will go back to hit the lighter areas when it drys out here. That can of wood filler is getting returned.
    h7wxoxy9id3t.jpeg
  • F1nut
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I wouldn't use Gorilla glue on anything, terrible product.

Mixing saw dust with wood glue is pointless because in the end it's still glue without the grain or pores of real wood and therefore will take the stain differently.

There are ways to match the color and the appearance of grain in real wood, but it requires specialized materials and a lot of practice.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Maybe in your world it looks ok, but in mine it looks like someone didn’t know what they were doing. No offense to you.

Gorilla glue is polyurethane based and requires moisture to cure. Because of that as it cures it foams creating air bubbles. Air bubbles in glue create a weak bond. Therefore, it is a terrible product.

President of Club Polk

• Mikey081057
    Options
    I wouldn't sniff no gorilla glue..

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    Aren't you a deck wit!

• Mikey081057
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I think you have drank too much deck juice....

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options

You will find Liquid Wood right next to the black paint... I understand it can also be found in those stores that sell toys for bedroom use.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options

You will find Liquid Wood right next to the black paint... I understand it can also be found in those stores that sell toys for bedroom use.

Amazon has all that, and more. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Yep2 wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    Maybe in your world it looks ok, but in mine it looks like someone didn’t know what they were doing. No offense to you.

Gorrila glue is polyurethane based and requires moisture to cure. Because of that as it cures it foams creating air bubbles. Air bubbles in glue create a weak bond. Therefore, it is a terrible product.

Its a deck.
    I mentioned the sawdust/glue as an option.
    Glue is secondary, and again, a personal preference.

Bad advice is still bad advice and yours is bad advice.

President of Club Polk