Oppo UDP-205 Update

pongshi
pongshi Posts: 376
FYI,
For those of you who signed up for the Oppo UDP-205 last run, the projected availability date has changed from June 2018 to August 2018. Hopefully, they really are going to do this.
https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/lastbatch.aspx
Living Room
Parasound Model 2250v2 amplifier
Parasound P5 preamp
Turntable 1 - Technics SL-1210Mk2 turntable with Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
Turntable 2 - Dual 1229 turntable, Dual AS-12 45 RPM stacker, Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
Schiit Mani Phono Preamp for Turntable 2
Oppo UDP-205 CD/SACD USB and FLAC duties
Technics RS-1500US reel to reel
Polk SDA SRS (2nd Gen) fully modded

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Thanks.

I now wonder... with these Disney disc surround sound sucking, can a OPPO pull out the info to make it better? Or did you guys have an OPPO and it still sounded flat and unexciting or impactful?

What would be the reason to upgrade to this higher model if only the other Companies are going to embed the correct info for awesome soundtracks? I like my Cds now and I heard these players are great for music.

So maybe this Upgrade would be worth it for the Music side and for movies that are embedded with great soundtracks.

I'm going to have to push this purchase in front of my wife since I'll be using a credit card and she does the bills now. :#

I HATED hearing about those sound issues! Maybe it IS a defect in manufacturing and Disney will make good on all of them. Otherwise, I might dig in unless OPPO players are fantastic CD players too.

I do have quite a few normal Blu-rays so I could be set for life and just buy other confirmed GOOD discs from other movie Companies and without buying any new Disney Discs. I would just go to the theaters to see Disney releases.

And I know, we mentioned checking the web for any future reviews and issues about these and future Disney Disc releases.

One more thing, are these defective discs JUST the 4K versions?

I'm doing yard work and came in a bit to cool down and I'm going back out as soon as I finish typing this.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    You cannot pull out what is not there.
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    When I found out about them ceasing production, after I signed up for the limited potential run I put one on Layaway. I have it now and this thing BLOWS AWAY my BDP-103. I have since sold it to a fellow Polkie. That HDMI jitter reduction circuit does wonders!!! Now not only am I not experiencing listener fatigue when streaming music over my network. The CD’s sound the same as the ripped versions. Also when I play them on my Pioneer Elite DVL-91 Laserdisc player I can now hear a difference between it and the Oppo and the favor has shifted to the Oppo. I had a non audiophile friend over and he heard the difference between the two (*full disclosure- he doesn’t get what the hype is about all of this stuff and he had never done a listening comparison between components before*) He heard a difference right away, but since he isn’t an audiophile he had trouble trying to describe what it was he was hearing. After we played the same songs back and forth between the two players (taking into account the fact that human aural memory is really short. I would only play about a minute to two minutes max of each song and then put the disc into the other player) He began to describe in his own way the extra information that he was hearing from the Oppo that he wasn’t hearing from the Pioneer. He basically said the Pioneer did a good job of making it sound good at the expense of hearing more information. He said he could hear more with the Oppo.

Since I was hearing exactly the same thing I told him he hit the nail right on the head.

Video-wise I feel it also gives me more information than I was getting with my BDP-103 with Blu-rays. I do not yet have a 4K display so I will have to reserve judgment on that part for now.

I also for the first time heard a difference-albeit slight-between two different HDMI cables. One a generic and one a Wireworld cable that has some EMI/RFI shielding done by the Upgrade Company. Up until now I had not been able to hear a difference. The shielded Wireworld cable held the small advantage.

Overall is this player worth the extra money???

OH YESSSSSS
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    taking into account the fact that human aural memory is really short

Not true. In fact, human aural memory is excellent.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    edited May 2018
    Tony M wrote: »
    Thanks.

I now wonder... with these Disney disc surround sound sucking, can a OPPO pull out the info to make it better? Or did you guys have an OPPO and it still sounded flat and unexciting or impactful?

What would be the reason to upgrade to this higher model if only the other Companies are going to embed the correct info for awesome soundtracks? I like my Cds now and I heard these players are great for music.

So maybe this Upgrade would be worth it for the Music side and for movies that are embedded with great soundtracks.

I'm going to have to push this purchase in front of my wife since I'll be using a credit card and she does the bills now. :#

I HATED hearing about those sound issues! Maybe it IS a defect in manufacturing and Disney will make good on all of them. Otherwise, I might dig in unless OPPO players are fantastic CD players too.

I do have quite a few normal Blu-rays so I could be set for life and just buy other confirmed GOOD discs from other movie Companies and without buying any new Disney Discs. I would just go to the theaters to see Disney releases.

And I know, we mentioned checking the web for any future reviews and issues about these and future Disney Disc releases.

One more thing, are these defective discs JUST the 4K versions?

I'm doing yard work and came in a bit to cool down and I'm going back out as soon as I finish typing this.

I am using a Oppo 203 and it probably does the best the disc has to offer but Pitdogg2 is right you can’t get what’s not there.
    Disney is just putting out Trash.
    The 4K version comes with a BD and a Digital copy on on the discs that stink. The picture is better on the 4K version but the audio is about the same on all of them.
    I will be reading reviews on all my future purchases. They are to much money to just be disappointed.

The 205 is going to be the best player for multiple sources I think.
    Single sources you can still get better but for more money. The 205 is hard to pass up.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • Tony M
    edited May 2018
    F1nut wrote: »
    taking into account the fact that human aural memory is really short

Not true. In fact, human aural memory is excellent.

My wife and I have arguments quite often over the memory issue.

She swears I don't remember much and I say she doesn't remember anything.
    :D:#
  • honestaquarian
    I just did another comparo between the two players. What the magazine reviewers have said about this player is spot on. It gives you a very detailed and kind of analytical presentation that is neither warm nor cold. It's a just the facts please kind of rendering. The Pioneer gives a more "pleasing and warm" presentation and is fun to listen to, but is not as detailed-especially on the top end. However it tends to be more pleasing to listen to musically.

That Legato Link D/A conversion has it's merits.

The bass is where the Pioneer one ups the Oppo, but the difference ain't huge.
    The player IS two decades old though having been manufactured in the year 2000.
  • Tony M
    Thank you VERY MUCH for those insights and comparing them again for us! B):)
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    Awesome, August works well for me... I will order ASAP..
  • dolbyd
    I just did another comparo between the two players. What the magazine reviewers have said about this player is spot on. It gives you a very detailed and kind of analytical presentation that is neither warm nor cold. It's a just the facts please kind of rendering. The Pioneer gives a more "pleasing and warm" presentation and is fun to listen to, but is not as detailed-especially on the top end. However it tends to be more pleasing to listen to musically.

Good thoughts for sure.
    I still have a Pioneer Elite PD-65 CD player and a 919 laserdisc player. Legato Link still holds up well.
    Pioneer was awesome in those days for sure.
    The 205 is a good upgrade today. I love the Marantz Reference today but the price makes the 205 a great buy.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    The Oppo 203 and 205 are the same for video. The 205 has a better analog section for two channel music. Don’t know if the 203 and 205 use the same DAC.

Since I don’t use my Oppo for music I bought the 83, 93, 103, and 203 for video, and saved money over the ‘5’ version. I now have two 203s, one for each 4K UHD TV, and love them. Will watch The Matrix 4K UHD disk tonight.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Cool, maybe the bills will be dry by then.
  • honestaquarian
    dolbyd wrote: »

Good thoughts for sure.
    I still have a Pioneer Elite PD-65 CD player and a 919 laserdisc player. Legato Link still holds up well.
    The 205 is a good upgrade today. I love the Marantz Reference today but the price makes the 205 a great buy.

@dolbyd I used to own a DVL-919 for over a decade. I wanted a DVL-91, but could not afford it at twice the price of the 919. I always used to wonder what the differences were between the two players. Well once I got my hands on a 91 boy did I see the difference!
    It's kinda the same with the 103 versus the 205. In this case boy do I hear the difference!
  • dolbyd

Good thoughts for sure.

@dolbyd I used to own a DVL-919 for over a decade. I wanted a DVL-91, but could not afford it at twice the price of the 919. I always used to wonder what the differences were between the two players. Well once I got my hands on a 91 boy did I see the difference!
    It's kinda the same with the 103 versus the 205. In this case boy do I hear the difference!

That 91 was a nice machine. I had 3 LD players over the years. Still have my 919. The price on that 91 was a pause moment.
    I still like the rosewood side panels of those days. I had an Elite 29TX and the 65 CD player in my rack back then. The 91 would have really made a cool stack.

When it comes to my LD collection Star Wars was released in a Box set once Dolby Digital(AC3) came out. This is Still my favorite way to watch it. No lucas changes and still awesome sound.
    I also miss all the info we got with a larger format.

wi3vnbnsa4de.jpeg
    bh6xba4kwo6e.jpeg
    xr8ezrwtizup.jpeg

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    ^I have a Pioneer LD-S1 and a CDL-99 and thatbsame set!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • dolbyd
    edited May 2018
    ^I have a Pioneer LD-S1 and a CDL-99 and thatbsame set!

Both great units. I always thought the rosewood models were cool. Almost like an art piece.
    The build quality was awesome.

I need to find an outboard AC3 RF demodulator for my 919.
    It would be nice to get the DD back without hooking up an old pioneer receiver.

• honestaquarian
    That’s the 91 above the Oppo. I also have Meridian’s AC-3 RF demodulator. The best one ever made as it has a reclocking circuit just like the Oppo. Look at my Laserdisc thread to see which one I’m talking about.
  • honestaquarian

Good thoughts for sure.

That 91 was a nice machine. I had 3 LD players over the years. Still have my 919. The price on that 91 was a pause moment.
    I still like the rosewood side panels of those days. I had an Elite 29TX and the 65 CD player in my rack back then. The 91 would have really made a cool stack.

When it comes to my LD collection Star Wars was released in a Box set once Dolby Digital(AC3) came out. This is Still my favorite way to watch it. No lucas changes and still awesome sound.
    I also miss all the info we got with a larger format.

wi3vnbnsa4de.jpeg
    bh6xba4kwo6e.jpeg
    xr8ezrwtizup.jpeg
    I have both Star Wars box sets. This one and the one that was done before they remastered it for Dolby Digital. This one is clearly superior.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    This thread is about OPPO products.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    You should give the 205 more breathing room. It does tend to run hot without good clearance. Several on AVS have reported theirs shutting down from excessive heat.
  • honestaquarian
    pslxfdedktug.jpeg
    DaveHo wrote: »
    You should give the 205 more breathing room. It does tend to run hot without good clearance. Several on AVS have reported theirs shutting down from excessive heat.

Thanks, however you were seeing a parallax in the other pic. Taken from an upward angle it looks like there is no space between the player and the shelf above it. You can see here there is actually plenty of breathing room on that shelf.
  • BlueFox
    “Plenty” is a relative term. To me it still looks constricted. If you place your hand on top of the Oppo is it warm, hot, or room temperature?

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • honestaquarian
    BlueFox wrote: »
    “Plenty” is a relative term. To me it still looks constricted. If you place your hand on top of the Oppo is it warm, hot, or room temperature?

Awwwwwww
    I'm sorry you think it's still constricted there in my shelf
    It's room temperature right now.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    BlueFox wrote: »

Awwwwwww
    I'm sorry you think it's still constricted there in my shelf
    It's room temperature right now.
    Is it "ON"?

Had to ask!

• BlueFox
    Good. Oh wait. Is it in use, or turned off? :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • honestaquarian
    It's been on since I turned it on and took that pic (see timestamp on that post) It's not in use right now though.
  • BlueFox
    LOL. Just kidding. I see from the picture it is on. I just went and checked my 203s, and they are cool. Plus they have been on since Thursday night. I noticed the 205 has vents on the top, while the 203 has a solid top. I guess it does get hot, at least from the analog part.

Three 20 amp circuits.