Another new component??

mlistens03
mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
Yesterday my friend gave me his old CD player he doesn’t use anymore (he has moved to streaming), a Technics SL-PC20. It seems like a decent, well built player, and I don’t think it compresses the files as they are sent to the receiver, so it’ll probably replace the Sony. Just thought I would ask for your opinions, thoughts, comments, etc.

Comments

• Sounds like a good plan!!! I would definitely use that instead of the Sony. (By the way this is Jace)XD
    2 Channel:
    Jbl Lx44
    Optonica Sa 5105
    Blue Jean 12 gauge cable
    Audioquest evergreen 3.5mm to rca cable
    Technics Sl BD22 TT
    Randomness:
    Klh model 26's
    Peavey Pr15's
    Gls cables for peaveys
    Numark DM1175 Preamp mixer
    Random cables
    Bic f12
    Svs soundpath subwoofer cable
    Lafayette Lr-200a amplifier
  • mlistens03
    Sounds like a good plan!!! I would definitely use that instead of the Sony.

Thanks!
    (By the way this is Jace)XD
    Oh come on... why must it be you?? :wink:
  • :D:'(:p
    2 Channel:
    Jbl Lx44
    Optonica Sa 5105
    Blue Jean 12 gauge cable
    Technics Sl BD22 TT
    Randomness:
    Klh model 26's
    Peavey Pr15's
    Gls cables for peaveys
    Random cables
    Bic f12
  • mlistens03
    Guys, this is my friend Jace, who is the same guy who has the Denon and LX44s and the same guy who gave me this CD player, AND the same guy who was borrowing the Missions from me a few months back. Welcome Jace!
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Welcome, Jace. B)

Friends give friends stereo stuff for sure. Check out Vr3's subwoofers for his surround sound set up. I think you'll love them! ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mlistens03
    Tony M wrote: »
    Welcome, Jace. B)

Friends give friends stereo stuff for sure. Check out Vr3's subwoofers for his surround sound set up. I think you'll love them! ;)

Lol yes he would! He’s a right and proper basshead. He wants to get himself a Ford excursion so he can fill it with subwoofers. Ain’t that right Jace @bassfreak101?
  • yep :D
    2 Channel:
    Jbl Lx44
    Optonica Sa 5105
    Blue Jean 12 gauge cable
    Technics Sl BD22 TT
    Randomness:
    Klh model 26's
    Peavey Pr15's
    Gls cables for peaveys
    Random cables
    Bic f12
  • Tony M
    edited May 2018

Is this man your father?
    7uhu91r3fkef.png
    And is this your car?
    k5nbvnopzgaa.png

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Yesterday my friend gave me his old CD player he doesn’t use anymore (he has moved to streaming), a Technics SL-PC20. It seems like a decent, well built player, and I don’t think it compresses the files as they are sent to the receiver, so it’ll probably replace the Sony. Just thought I would ask for your opinions, thoughts, comments, etc.

I have never heard of a CD player that compresses files. Not saying they don’t exist, but if they do they are pretty rare. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mlistens03
    BlueFox wrote: »

I have never heard of a CD player that compresses files. Not saying they don’t exist, but if they do they are pretty rare. :)

My old Sony 5 CD changer compressed down to poor MP3 files, and a I found a Denon player that had MP3 compression listed as a “feature”.
    Is this man your father?
    7uhu91r3fkef.png
    And is this your car?
    k5nbvnopzgaa.png

Not his dad, but that will be his car, although he’s no ricer. He doesn’t make his car look dumb and sound like a lawnmower :tongue:
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Interesting. There should be a museum of failed audio ideas. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mlistens03
    edited May 2018
    Interesting. There should be a museum of failed audio ideas. :)

Definitely. Here is the list I’ve come up with so far:
    CD players that compress files to MP3
    Bose 802
    Bose 902
    Similar speakers to the above, know there are more, just can’t think of them
    Bose’s price tags
    Beats headphones
    Apple removing the headphone jack ( not directly correlating to audio, but I can’t bring myself to buy new Apple products because of it forcing me to add another component in my setup if my pre doesn’t have a digital input)
    Any other suggestions?
    :tongue:

Now, back to the original topic of the thread, any of you heard this Technics? I assume it’s nothing too special, but it seems like it was at least decent in its day. Built well for sure.
  • Tony M
    The specs look Great! Back on topic for you. :)
    https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/technics/sl-p200.shtml
  • mlistens03
    edited May 2018
    Oh man that does look great! But I’ve got an SL-PC20. Here is a pic:
    n3q8226kuiec.jpeg
    (pic from Internet )
    It is a very cool design IMO, a 5 disc changer but it has a dust cover like a TT instead of the traditional slide out tray. This means you can change a disc while another one is playing. I won’t be able to listen to it until Monday or Tuesday, so I can’t give my opinions on it yet.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited May 2018
    The specs look Great! Back on topic for you. :)
    https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/technics/sl-p200.shtml

Compare those specs to this one, https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/technics/sl-p2000.shtml

Note the signal to noise ratios and weight differences.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut

Me either. I'd like to see proof.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mlistens03
    F1nut wrote: »

Me either. I'd like to see proof.

I can’t remember what model my old Sony was, and I mentioned the Denon in the “I was at goodwill today” or something like that thread. I will figure out what model the Sony was when I get home from vacation.
  • F1nut

Comparing specs alone, the Sony specs better. Of course, that doesn't mean it sounds better.

President of Club Polk

• Tony M
    n3q8226kuiec.jpeg
    (pic from Internet )
    It is a very cool design IMO, a 5 disc changer but it has a dust cover like a TT instead of the traditional slide out tray. This means you can change a disc while another one is playing. I won’t be able to listen to it until Monday or Tuesday, so I can’t give my opinions on it yet.

I'm sorry about that. My computer has been changing numbers on me since I upgraded the windows 10 a few days ago. I might have something to do with wrong number remembering but I mostly copy and paste. It happened with Def. Tech. search tonight too. I ended up with a picture of a PM350 instead of a PM700. Crazy.

Anyway, I don't think changers are better than single disc models but I'm sure there are some respectable ones somewhere. I own a few. Pioneer Elite, Onkyo Integra etc..

Like others have said, listen to your gifted one and see if you hear great music. I hope you do. That's what it's all about, right? Check out the specs on that player @F1nut posted. But like he said, listen for yourself if you can. I think Sony invented the CD... so think about that.
    https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/technics/sl-p2000.shtml
  • Tony M
    edited May 2018
    I just checked..
    Who invented the CD player?
    James T Russell invented the CD, recorder and player in the 1960s with patents filed in 1971. Licenses issued to Phillips and Sony for development and production. The first CD player was released by sony cdp-101 in 1982. The compact disc was invented by a collaboration of individuals.

Here you go, again. 329.00 player. ;)
    https://vintagetechnics.audio/showitem.php?id=YToyOntpOjA7czo3OiJzbC1wYzIwIjtpOjE7czoxNDoiY2RfbXVsdGlwbGF5ZXIiO30=
  • mlistens03
    n3q8226kuiec.jpeg
    (pic from Internet )

I'm sorry about that. My computer has been changing numbers on me since I upgraded the windows 10 a few days ago. I might have something to do with wrong number remembering but I mostly copy and paste. It happened with Def. Tech. search tonight too. I ended up with a picture of a PM350 instead of a PM700. Crazy.

Anyway, I don't think changers are better than single disc models but I'm sure there are some respectable ones somewhere. I own a few. Pioneer Elite, Onkyo Integra etc..

Like others have said, listen to your gifted one and see if you hear great music. I hope you do. That's what it's all about, right? Check out the specs on that player @F1nut posted. But like he said, listen for yourself if you can. I think Sony invented the CD... so think about that.
    https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/technics/sl-p2000.shtml

I most definitely will give it a good listen, but we are on vacation right now. The little beat of listening I did at Jace’s house sounded pretty good.
    Don’t worry about the typo, Windows can be so strange some times I get it. My laptop wouldn’t even start for the past 2 days, finally managed to get it to start tonight, I have no idea what was wrong with it. Working fine last I checked, I think this is a software issue rather than a hardware issue because it was getting buggy before it crashed and wouldn’t come back.
    I just checked..
    Who invented the CD player?
    James T Russell invented the CD, recorder and player in the 1960s with patents filed in 1971. Licenses issued to Phillips and Sony for development and production. The first CD player was released by sony cdp-101 in 1982. The compact disc was invented by a collaboration of individuals.

Here you go, again. 329.00 player. ;)
    https://vintagetechnics.audio/showitem.php?id=YToyOntpOjA7czo3OiJzbC1wYzIwIjtpOjE7czoxNDoiY2RfbXVsdGlwbGF5ZXIiO30=

Wait, the CDP-101 was their first player?? There was one at goodwill 2 days ago for $20! Ugh!
    Hmm, seems decent, wonder how it’ll compare to the Sony.
    Thanks again!
    Micah
  • F1nut
    Save the $20.00.

President of Club Polk

• mlistens03
    Save the $20.00.

I assumed I would want to but I just think it would be cool to have the first CD player ever. Maybe $20 cool.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Save the $20.00.

I assumed I would want to but I just think it would be cool to have the first CD player ever. Maybe $20 cool.

Buggy whips and door stops are cool too, but I wouldn't waste a 20 on either. Save your coin, buy something of substance.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mlistens03
    tonyb wrote: »
    Save the $20.00.

Buggy whips and door stops are cool too, but I wouldn't waste a 20 on either. Save your coin, buy something of substance.

I probably wouldn’t have bought it, I just wished I had looked at it and given it a second of my time. I don’t have enough money to throw around 20 dollar bills and still expect to have enough money to get the LSIMs when the sale comes around.

The sticker did say “verified working” but that was all the looking I did. I don’t know if it would have kept working, butting was at least working when I wasn’t there supposedly.
  • Tony M
    I like historic speakers and electronics. I might 've bought it for the cool factor too. ;)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    I like historic speakers and electronics. I might 've bought it for the cool factor too. ;)

me, too. ;)

I have a few early-ish CDPs (FWIW).
    10439534934_cebf00108a_b.jpgSony old CDP by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

10439523565_14246b7f5c_b.jpgTechnics old CDP by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

30123363084_4508d4d7a2_b.jpgDSC_6315_zps1998048c by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    (that latter one, sadly, was a brick)

I do not have any of the first generation players (Sony or Magnavox/Philips), though. As implied above, they're collectors' items (of a sort), but not really great to listen to.

• mlistens03
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

me, too. ;)

I have a few early-ish CDPs (FWIW).
    10439534934_cebf00108a_b.jpgSony old CDP by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

10439523565_14246b7f5c_b.jpgTechnics old CDP by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

30123363084_4508d4d7a2_b.jpgDSC_6315_zps1998048c by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    (that latter one, sadly, was a brick)

I do not have any of the first generation players (Sony or Magnavox/Philips), though. As implied above, they're collectors' items (of a sort), but not really great to listen to.

Ooh, nice players! Do they sound good?
  • mlistens03
    Here is the Denon I was talking about with the compression feature:
    m3g96zazuk2n.jpeg
    As you can see, “compression feature” is listed in the features section. This may be referring to video, but I don’t believe it is.
    There are a few more examples I can post probably on Tuesday, but I’ll have to dig them out of the closet and find the models numbers.