AVR -> Preamp -> Amp ?

Options
So, I’m not very happy with using my Yamaha RX-A3070 as my preamp/DAC and I’m considering getting a DAC for all my 2 channel content, including MQA.

My question is whether putting a proper DAC in the signal flow is okay for my surround sound by way of connecting my AVR’s front speaker outputs to the SE input on the DAC. Is there any reason this wouldn’t work well or I might not like the results?

Comments

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Because the Yamaha DAC is still in the signal chain doing it that way.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • alucididea
    alucididea Posts: 113
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Because the Yamaha DAC is still in the signal chain doing it that way.
    The idea here is that the Yamaha outputs analog to the DAC which in turn just passes it along to the amp. For two channel audio, nothing goes through the Yamaha.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    ??? Digital goes to the DAC...Analog from DAC goes to input of pre amp
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • alucididea
    Options
    ??? Digital goes to the DAC...Analog from DAC goes to input of pre amp
    I should have been a little more clear.

All surround processing goes through the Yamaha. Analog front channel output goes preamp/DAC via a SE input.

All 2 channel content goes only through the preamp/DAC.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    The only DACs available with HT bypass (which is what you are talking about) are ones like the Benchmark DAC3(?), Wadia 321, Wyred 4 Sound's DAC 2v2, etc.
    It is not a common feature on most DACs. It is a more common feature on better 2 channel pre-amps (and some with built in DACs.

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • alucididea
    edited May 2018
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    The only DACs available with HT bypass (which is what you are talking about) are ones like the Benchmark DAC3(?), Wadia 321, Wyred 4 Sound's DAC 2v2, etc.
    It is not a common feature on most DACs. It is a more common feature on better 2 channel pre-amps (and some with built in DACs.

Thats not actually what I was talking about. Though I have thought about going that route. Here is a flow chart of what I was thinking:

rt5cyicctjn8.jpg
  • alucididea
    edited May 2018
    Options
    :)
    Post edited by alucididea on
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    That'll work, did it myself for a long time but the wife got super confused when trying to watch a movie or just play music. Audio nerds like ourselves, no problem, anyone else and they look at it like deer in the headlights.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • alucididea
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    That'll work, did it myself for a long time but the wife got super confused when trying to watch a movie or just play music. Audio nerds like ourselves, no problem, anyone else and they look at it like deer in the headlights.
    That’s funny. I suppose adding a universal remote like the Logitech Harmony will make it easier. Though it always takes way less time to pick up the second remote then it does to search the Harmony for the right command. Is what it is, I suppose...
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 478
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Yes you can do it. I have your setup in my family room. The family also does not get confused as the AVR trigger 12v overrides the 2ch Integrated Amp into HT bypass for SE L/R in surround or Atmos. With the AVR off the L/R can be controlled independently using the integrated’s inputs including onboard DAC.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100 | 150” Elite Screen Acoustic Pro UHD
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte | Roku TV
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | Fire TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • alucididea
    Options
    mpitogo wrote: »
    Yes you can do it. I have your setup in my family room. The family also does not get confused as the AVR trigger 12v overrides the 2ch Integrated Amp into HT bypass for SE L/R in surround or Atmos. With the AVR off the L/R can be controlled independently using the integrated’s inputs including onboard DAC.
    That’s exactly why I basically need to get a preamp/DAC with a trigger input. Honestly it might have helped me decide to go with the NAD 12 over the Mytek Brooklyn DAC+
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 478
    edited May 2018
    Options
    alucididea wrote: »
    I suppose adding a universal remote like the Logitech Harmony will make it easier.

I swear by the harmony remote. I’ve had many generations and the latest iteration with a base two IR emitters and WiFi connection is incredible. It also includes integration with IFTTT so I can trigger room actions ia voice for very little cost vs custom integration with product like crestron or control4 and the like. Eg “ OK google watch TV” triggers watch TV action on the harmony, closes the shades and dims the lights if they are open or on. For the other room actions I use a Wink hub to control the smart home. Again these are things which you can DIY for very little $ vs custom install. The smart shades besides the HT gear would be the a little more money than manual shades.

Control and configure via remote or via iOS app. Wife and kid friendly for one button (or voice command) operation a complex sequence of startup options.

Post edited by mpitogo on
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100 | 150” Elite Screen Acoustic Pro UHD
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte | Roku TV
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | Fire TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • alucididea
    edited May 2018
    Options
    mpitogo wrote: »
    alucididea wrote: »
    I suppose adding a universal remote like the Logitech Harmony will make it easier.

I swear by the harmony remote. I’ve had many generations and the latest iteration with a base two IR emitters and WiFi connection is incredible. It also includes integration with IFTTT so I can trigger room actions ia voice for very little cost vs custom integration with product like crestron or control4 and the like. Eg “ OK google watch TV” triggers watch TV action on the harmony, closes the shades and dims the lights if they are open or on. For the other room actions I use a Wink hub to control the smart home. Again these are things which you can DIY for very little $ vs custom install. The smart shades besides the HT gear would be the a little more money than manual shades.

Control and configure via remote or via iOS app. Wife and kid friendly for one button (or voice command) operation a complex sequence of startup options.
    I’ve had one for a few years and have enjoyed it for the most part. I’ve never had any other smart products until recently. I only just got some Hue bulbs. Eventually I do want to create some smart buttons for them. I haven’t integrated the Harmony into my full setup yet. It’s controlling my bedroom setup ATM, But once I pick (and acquire) my DAC I’ll probably do the damn thing.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    Speaking of Harmony remotes....dunno if you saw that their was a security update needed for those with wired/wireless network connection.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |