Yard sale ad pictures that don't show much but tell a lot.

Options

Comments

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Fantastic, Tony, congratulations on the opportunity B)

They don't smell like old people, do they?

My room smells old excuse me, vintage. :tongue:
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    mlistens03 wrote: »

Like those 2 week old socks stuck under the bed, vintage?
  • mlistens03
    edited May 2018
    Options
    FestYboy wrote: »

Like those 2 week old socks stuck under the bed, vintage?

I don’t waste the space under my bed, there are 2 giant drawers full of cables! :tongue:
    I would actually say I’m a very clean teenager, it can get a little chaotic sometimes but there are rarely any clothes on the floor. Now, I can’t vouch for random speakers sitting around here and there, but clothes, no. :lol:
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    The old pick up your clothes request most of us have heard, but with a twist..

Son..get in there and pick up your speakers! They're a mess. All sitting mismatched and all. And one's on it's side. Straighten it upright for heavens sake. What am I going to do with you? :D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,045
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »

Son..get in there and pick up your speakers! They're a mess. All sitting mismatched and all. And one's on it's side. Straighten it upright for heavens sake. What am I going to do with you? :D

I could imagine someone saying that here; thus do I have my own mancave gentleman's grotto.
  • mlistens03
    Options

Lol pretty much! :lol:
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,688
    Options

And while you're at it...GET A HAIRCUT!!! :p

65n2c3o16mi5.jpg
  • mlistens03
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »

And while you're at it...GET A HAIRCUT!!! :p

65n2c3o16mi5.jpg

HAHAHA I’ve managed to escape that one thus far... :lol:
  • coolsax
    coolsax Posts: 1,824
    Options
    congrats the new speakers... Definitely could tell they were Goldenears in the pic since i just got some 2+ recently myself.. nice score!
    Main 2ch -
    BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
    TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
    Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,606
    Options
    Congrats Tony on the nice score, and good eye for noticing that the base of that speaker was a Golden Ear design. Looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts on how they sound.
  • Tony M
    Options
    Thanks again, Drew! ;)

They're going to displace my LS90's because that's a place I don't have to remove any shelves to accommodate their hiegth. But I have a lot of re-arranging to do. A lot! It might take a week or more! I'm thinking of starting in an hour. I'm going to take the socks down and check the passives for damage first. Some more pictures are coming too. ;) Well not where the LS90's are. I'll move the RT3000P's next to the TV and put the Tritons further apart for a wider sound field. I just went out to check the location of the LS90's to make sure their next to the TV like in this picture below, and they are, and I looked at the Tritons again :o and man are they BIG BEAUTIFUL speakers!!! :D:p
    God smiled down on me again!
    fwy7wb73wifg.jpg
  • Tony M
    Options
    Second thought... What do you guys and gals think about these big towers going next to the TV?

I'll be listening to music through them for a while, I'm sure. Those RT3000P's are my surround sound speakers ( w/surrounds and center and 2 subs of course ) for now.

When I walk in the door to this cottage, There is a receiver on a rack just to the left of the door that I turn on for radio mainly lately. It plays through the LS90's. The LS90's put out alot of full spread-out sound in this big room. Maybe the Tritons will do the same. But the Tritons will come up to the middle of the TV I think.

Any opinions on that appearance for a year or more?

It would be kind of like a pyramid of black cloth framing the bottom and 1/2 of the sides of the TV.

• Clipdat
    Options
  • Tony M
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Thanks!
    I haven't seen that. ;)B)

That guy suggested the further apart, the better... ;)B)
  • Tony M
    Options
    Well, I just checked out the Triton One's again, this time facing me, but still cramped into the front aisle on the left of the door. :s

The Polk LS90's sounded pretty darn NICE again today. Darn NICE!!

I listened to them as usual, as I do things and test other gear and speakers. But of course I turn them down to zero to hear the things I'm testing when it's time.

I hooked the Tritons back up to the 555II like I did Sat. I think. I used the Adcom tuner Pre-amp again. My favorite station was playing a cool rock song, I forget right now, but the LS90's were sounding mighty fine!! I turned the dial on the adcom to bring the Tritons alive and sure enough, they blended in with the LS90's. I then turned the dial back on the LS90's and listened for something special.

Well, the sound wasn't as nice and mellow as the LS90's. The One's were brighter. The 90's bass was POWERFUL today! Very impressive too. So I thought I've got a pair bright speakers with bass equal to the 90's. I was a little bummed..THEN;

I switched to a CD. David Arkenstone something...Tapped play and, HOLY S**T!

I watched a video review from a guy who said he hadn't been Godsmaked with a set of speakers sound like he was when he heard the Ones for like 30 years. Well, I have to join the GS club now too. It might be the BEST sound I have EVER heard here at home. And these speakers are cramped as you can see in the pictures I took.

I sped through the Arkenstone song list just listening to portions of each song. Amazing clarity of sound came out of the Ones. I then switched to Amerca's greatest hits CD. Horse with no name, song one...HOLY MOLEY!!! I've never heard it so clear and lively. It was like the band was in this aisle live and had front row seat. CLAR and it sounded right!.
    Here's some pics real quick. I've got to get ready to go out to dinner at a burger joint.
    ak8qqgu4w07v.jpg
    6r8fyx2s6fog.jpg
    aqdpaax4rnuc.jpg
    leieiosbts1m.jpg
    dirls3e8y1pe.jpg
    r4d8sd80u6dq.jpg
    mhhai8zxzd8s.jpg
    c2cr59p6gv6t.jpg
    a3rf3eolzm9q.jpg
    a9crx1dzftyz.jpg

These beat out the SDA-SRS2's and they're just in the aisle and that my friends is me SAYING A LOT!

I am blown away by my luck to have spotted that little bit ob GE base plate. And now they're in my cottage! B)o:):'(
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Hi. My name is Tony. And I'm a hoarder.

"Hi Tony!"
  • Clipdat
    Options
    You can still see the carpet/floor and there are clear walking paths, so he's not quite at the hoarder level yet. Just extreme collector.
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Hi. My name is Tony. And I'm a hoarder.

"Hi Tony!"

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Thanks for the pics Tony! I feel better now! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Tony M
    Options
    Yep. Hoarders walk ON their hoard. I'll NEVER walk on one of my speakers. So I'm just a collector for now. :):p
  • Tony M
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Well, I went out today to get started on trying to organize my "collection" to get ready to try and sell off to make room for the Tritons path to their future locations. I can't believe how much I have! :o:o:o

Well, while I was organizing, I had the Tritons playing and I swear I heard detail in songs I've heard many times before. It's not an illusion of , yea, I read about this and that, NO, the music seems more LIVE. The SRS2's brought me the closest to that feeling I believe. Maybe the Newform Researchs also. But even being cramped in that aisle still, The bass and detail are evident in spades.

I enjoyed my time out there today and need to get my butt in gear and regain SPACE. B)

PS. Steely Dan's Aja Gold master CD sounded the best I've ever heard it. I think the first song, Black Cow, had a cymbal tap that decayed for 20 seconds and I heard it clearly like it was in the room! That's just one instance of many. Porcupine Tree's Dark Wing sounded different. More forcefull and more definition between the many sounds Wilson puts into his songs and compositions.

I guess the smaller models will sound as good with an extra sub maybe. Maybe the 2's are just as good also.

My 555II did heat up though.

I'll have to take the member's advice that told me to raise the shelving to let them breath some more. I've never had a 555II heat up like it did today. But I was rocking in there at times. And.. :p
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options

You just had to go there didn't you. I get to spend my Saturday painting a room trying to get that smell out.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Tony M
    Options
    mrloren wrote: »

You just had to go there didn't you. I get to spend my Saturday painting a room trying to get that smell out.

I've remodeled enough homes and been to enough sales to know what you're facing. Get an Ionizer and it will kill the smell for a while. Your lips will tingle but it passes. :D

I think old shag carpet is the worst. And Smokers' things that have been in the same room for decades. My wife and I got GAGED carrying home a pair of Realistc Mach Ones from a chain smokers house. The receiver and speakers were coated seriously in nicotine oil.

But your comment reminded me I didn't answer that first question. No the whole house was clean smelling without the first hint of odor af any kind. These speakers did have some stain on the side of one for some reason. Weird....but there is NO odor at all. I was LUCKY and BLESSED to get these.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Wonder who the member was...
  • Tony M
    Options
    You... :D I would have to say now. Thank you. You are a wise man!
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    Gee I miss them good yard sales, not much in the good ole used gear in San Diego.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Tony M
    edited May 2018
    Options
    That's a shame.

I think it comes in spurts here in Wilm. NC.

It seems our neighborhood yard sales from around our City, happen on the same two weekends. I can't hit them all! :s:/ I've had a ton of luck driving around the multi home sales. Even at 11:00am one Sat., I roll up in the 3rd neighborhood or what ever but it was getting late for sales. But I rolled up to one and saw JBL L5's sitting beside the driveway in the grass. I've owned them before and also the L3's too. I ask the guy how much? 5.00.

5 a piece? no...5 for both. Here , take a 10. And they worked fine too. great cond. too. I love neighborhood sales. Many opportunities in a short time. Fundraisor sales are GREAT. And my favorite of all..Church bazzars. Elderly people getting rid of stuff and the younger members not caring about audio material things. :#:D

But now I don't have much space for anything new anyway so why go. I still look once in a while though. I'm glad i looked that one night, last week and even emailed them, very rare for me!, and they answered! It just fell into place like a 5 piece puzzle. :DB)
  • Clipdat
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I enjoyed reading about some of your listening impressions Tony! I'm eager for you to get them set up in their optimized spots for good stereo imaging. Just think, they're going to sound even better than they did today!

I always see the full page Golden Ear advertisement in Stereophile and wonder how good they really are. Reading about your first hand experiences with them, it's clear that they are quite nice! Congrats again on the great deal you got!
    Well, I went out today to get started on trying to organize my "collection" to get ready to try and sell off to make room for the Tritons path to their future locations. I can't believe how much I have! :o:o:o

Well, while I was organizing, I had the Tritons playing and I swear I heard detail in songs I've heard many times before. It's not an illusion of , yea, I read about this and that, NO, the music seems more LIVE. The SRS2's brought me the closest to that feeling I believe. Maybe the Newform Researchs also. But even being cramped in that aisle still, The bass and detail are evident in spades.

I enjoyed my time out there today and need to get my butt in gear and regain SPACE. B)

PS. Steely Dan's Aja Gold master CD sounded the best I've ever heard it. I think the first song, Black Cow, had a cymbal tap that decayed for 20 seconds and I heard it clearly like it was in the room! That's just one instance of many. Porcupine Tree's Dark Wing sounded different. More forcefull and more definition between the many sounds Wilson puts into his songs and compositions.

I guess the smaller models will sound as good with an extra sub maybe. Maybe the 2's are just as good also.

My 555II did heat up though.

I'll have to take the member's advice that told me to raise the shelving to let them breath some more. I've never had a 555II heat up like it did today. But I was rocking in there at times. And.. :p

• Tony M
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I wish you could go somewhere and here any of the GoldenEar line-up.

Like I've said before, The LSiM Polks probably sound as nice too. From your remarks, I need to hear them sometime too. ;)
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    Nice find.

Cool room. Yes Sir, lots of goodies stacked up, even got towels between stuff.

I like rooms like that a lot....
  • Tony M
    Options
    oldrocker wrote: »
    Nice find.

Cool room. Yes Sir, lots of goodies stacked up, even got towels between stuff.

I like rooms like that a lot....

Come on over when you can. Have a look around. The back room is almost as interesting. This "collection" and I will probably still be here fighting each other. :p