Braided wire sleeves

I'll start off by saying I'm fairly cheap. I fully well understand and accept the fact that higher quality cabling makes a difference. I just can't bring myself to spend hundreds to thousands of $$$ on interconnect & speaker cables. I use Blue Jean Cable RCA's because I can hear the difference and still afford the quality. Furez cable splitters & copper banana connectors from Douglas Connections. But when it comes to speaker cabling I buy Belden 5T00UP 10 AWG in a 500' box and use it for in-wall & external speaker connections and make my own cables to the lengths I want. What I'd like to find is a good, flexible, colored, braided sleeve that I can put the 10 AWG speaker cables in for a more finished & professional look and more WAF, which has become an issue recently. I would probably finish the ends off with some shrink sleeve. Who out there in Polk Land is doing this and has a good lead on braided sleeve? Thanks
Carver M4.0t, M1.0t, M200t, TX2, C1, C2, Marantz 2230, 2010, 4070, 1030, APPJ 2013, Rega Brio, Marantz Imperial 7's, Klipsch Heresy III, Quartets, KG4's, KG1's, 'The Sixes', R-12SW, Polk SDA 2a's, Monitor 7cTL's, SDA CRS's, 4a's, Zu Audio Dirty Weekends, Pro-ject Acryl TT, Cambridge 851N, 351C, Panamax 5300PM

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    It's called Techflex and is available all over the net.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Yeah, there's a guy on Ebay named furryletters who has all kinds. That's where I ordered any extra I needed in the fancy colors.

https://www.ebay.com/str/furryletters
    I disabled signatures.
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    msg wrote: »
    Yeah, there's a guy on Ebay named furryletters who has all kinds. That's where I ordered any extra I needed in the fancy colors.

https://www.ebay.com/str/furryletters

I've bought from him also. Good seller,fast shipping.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • RobbyKY
    RobbyKY Posts: 117
    Techflex is the answer. I get mine from PartsExpress.
    I like AQ Rocket 88 speaker cables but used the same Belden 10awg for my IC between speakers and dreadnought. AQ sells the raw 88 cable but so far have only found 164' spools of it. At $25/foot, the TechFlex-covered Belden IC is doing fine for now.
    Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
    Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
    Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
    Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    So this is why nice cables cost so much.

It must depend on the denomination used in the creation of the inner sleeves. :o
    a6iizhd8yzgi.png
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    If you really want to get blingy

https://www.takefiveaudio.com/products/1465-viablue-big-cable-sleeve/

I use these on my diy power cords.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    Tony M,
    Those are only used on "George" grade cables, one step above lamp cord.
    They have to be the "Salmon P." grade to be of any significance !!!!!!!! :):):)
    27ukjwgz0f6q.jpg
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • Tony M
    Wow, A guy who wasn't President is on one of our bills? I think.know Lincoln blew out any chance he had when he ran.

Interesting read! Thanks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmon_P._Chase
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Tony M wrote: »
    Wow, A guy who wasn't President is on one of our bills? I think.know Lincoln blew out any chance he had when he ran.

Interesting read! Thanks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmon_P._Chase

ummm... President Hamilton?

wvv3pc6pogwu.png
  • Tony M
    edited May 2018
    I hated History is school. I thought Hamilton was one...Alexander.. Hamilton, the **rd/th President does have a ring to it doesn't it? :D

You know, I might not be the only one who thought that. :#

I was looking forward during those years. ;)
  • mhardy6647
    You just knew he was fated to become a big Broadway star...
  • Tony M
    edited May 2018
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    You just knew he was fated to become a big Broadway star...

At least I knew it didn't ring the bells so I checked my history brain with the web within 1 minute and I was right. I was wrong and I fixed it fast.

But not fast enough to get by without more criticism from you. :s

Just proves my point.. historic figures ment nothing to me.

Spelling wasn't a favorite of mine either. Wednesday...Come on!! I didn't get and still don't!

When was I going to get new clothes or shoes to wear seemed to be taking up a lot of my thoughts I guess.

So did you ACE History classes and memorize all Presidents and the Vice Pres.s too?

• mhardy6647
    sorry :blush:

For the record, I try not to bust folks' chops for spelling -- or even punctuation.

History -- yeah -- I'm a scientist. 'nuff said ;)
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Scientist is a good job. Lots of benefits. :)

lgl7smnpukrj.jpeg
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Tony M
    edited May 2018

For the record, I try not to bust folks' chops for spelling -- or even punctuation.

No problem. :)B)
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    3ldc8b8ou8yb.jpg

I used Furez from Douglas Connection.

bj5570jgpd24.jpg

Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    ThomasD wrote: »
    I'll start off by saying I'm fairly cheap. I fully well understand and accept the fact that higher quality cabling makes a difference. I just can't bring myself to spend hundreds to thousands of $$$ on interconnect & speaker cables. I use Blue Jean Cable RCA's because I can hear the difference and still afford the quality. Furez cable splitters & copper banana connectors from Douglas Connections. But when it comes to speaker cabling I buy Belden 5T00UP 10 AWG in a 500' box and use it for in-wall & external speaker connections and make my own cables to the lengths I want. What I'd like to find is a good, flexible, colored, braided sleeve that I can put the 10 AWG speaker cables in for a more finished & professional look and more WAF, which has become an issue recently. I would probably finish the ends off with some shrink sleeve. Who out there in Polk Land is doing this and has a good lead on braided sleeve? Thanks

You're not spending thousands, but looks like you're doing ok on the cable front. Blue Jean, Doug's, and the Belden are all very good stuff IMO. You could do better, but you could do a lot worse.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Tony M
    edited May 2018
    If I saw that behind a stereo rack in a house, I'd ask where the shovel is.

That's a cool snake-like design. Good job! B)
  • ThomasD
    ThomasD Posts: 260

machone wrote: »
    3ldc8b8ou8yb.jpg

I used Furez from Douglas Connection.

bj5570jgpd24.jpg

Yep, I've got the Furez TSTWP38NP Bare Copper Banana Connectors. Love them. I just figure if the 10 gauge Belden wire in the walls is good enough for the audio signal, no sense spending a fortune from the jack to the speaker terminal. I do realize most audiophiles probably don't have their speakers very far from their equipment. My equipment sits on one side of the room, speakers on the other. @machone, is that power cord a Douglas Kit or pre-made?
    Carver M4.0t, M1.0t, M200t, TX2, C1, C2, Marantz 2230, 2010, 4070, 1030, APPJ 2013, Rega Brio, Marantz Imperial 7's, Klipsch Heresy III, Quartets, KG4's, KG1's, 'The Sixes', R-12SW, Polk SDA 2a's, Monitor 7cTL's, SDA CRS's, 4a's, Zu Audio Dirty Weekends, Pro-ject Acryl TT, Cambridge 851N, 351C, Panamax 5300PM
  • F1nut
    Compare those with these. Which one do you think is better?

a8l4gep47m9e.jpg

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ThomasD
    ThomasD Posts: 260

The Furez TST-WP38Ag series Tensioned Split Tube Banana Plug Speaker connectors provide optimized contact pressure with maximized contact area utilizing a patent pending design that truly uses high conductivity copper. Traditional banana plug design relies on the inherent spring force of the copper alloy to provide the required contact pressure to make the banana plug connection. Unfortunately, the copper alloys that have sufficient inherent spring tension also suffer from poor conductivity. Materials like C36000 Brass, C54400 Phosphor Bronze, C17500 Beryllium Copper are the typically used copper alloys and all have low conductivity in the range of 19% to 40% IACS. The simple and effective design approach of the Tensioned Split Tube (TST) Banana allows the connector to be constructed of C14500 Tellurium 93% IACS Copper.
    The Furez Tensioned Split Tube Banana (TST) is designed to provide optimized contact pressure by using a solid elastomeric tensioning element. This tensioning element provides the spring force required to enable the use of softer high conductivity copper. The user does have the ability to reduce or increase the contact pressure by removing and modifying the tensioning element. Cutting the tensioning element shorter will reduce contact pressure.

Granted this is the Manufactures' Propaganda. I'm not saying these are better than those, just a different technology. My ears noticed an improvement in sound over previous connectors and I found them affordable.
  • F1nut
    They assume only the springs are making contact and on cheap banana plugs that would pretty much be true. The ones from MIT that I posted use 6 long springs for maximum contact as opposed to cheap bananas with 4 short ones. In addition, the rounded end bottoms out inside of the binding post making full contact. That rounded end is connected to a solid metal shaft for maximum conductivity. The fit is extremely tight, inserting or removing takes some effort.

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    edited May 2018
    Yep2 wrote: »

"Allegedly a Scientist".
    Im still not convinced. Lol :p

https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=2osr8c0AAAAJ&hl=en&oi=ao

B)

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Wow, A guy who wasn't President is on one of our bills?
    Ummmmm.....I think you're forgetting one. :p

Ben Franklin was a founding father but never an American president.

yuo8scekdprl.jpg

• Tony M
    edited May 2018
    NICE!

I once met a doctor, and upon researching him, I found a similar list of accolades where he did research and design for skeletal joint repair and reconstuction techniques. He fixed my badly broken heel pretty darn well I have to say. :)

So... :o , did you do research to help diabetics ( type 2) like myself?

I did recognize a few words in the Titles of your publications. A few... :)

You've sure spent some time in the laboratory, haven't you? ;)B)
  • mhardy6647
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Wow, A guy who wasn't President is on one of our bills?
    Ummmmm.....I think you're forgetting one. :p

Ben Franklin was a founding father but never an American president.

yuo8scekdprl.jpg

derp. Yeah, him, too. :p

If he'd been POTUS, maybe the turkey would have really been our national symbol instead of those white-headed scavengers ;)

33271716403_4813344cfa_b.jpgDSC_7548 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

33973802586_7bcb60e5c2_b.jpgDSC_7513 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • mhardy6647
    NICE!

I once met a doctor, and upon researching him, I found a similar list of accolades where he did research and design for skeletal joint repair and reconstuction techniques. He fixed my badly broken heel pretty darn well I have to say. :)

So... :o , did you do research to help diabetics ( type 2) like myself?

I did recognize a few words in the Titles of your publications. A few... :)

You've sure spent some time in the laboratory, haven't you? ;)B)

Nope, never worked on diabetes myself -- though I know many folks who did (or do).
    Most of my RFT career was devoted to therapeutics for Type A and Type B hemophilias.
  • Tony M
    Thank you for your research and efforts to help others! ;)
  • Tony M
    Ben Franklin wasn't a president either?? :o

God, I'm in presidential knowledge DEEP trouble! :s:#