Is this a stupid idea or what ??

Some of you know my H/T and assorted gear are in the same rack as all my 2chl gear as well. The way I have it wired is for i-net radio, f.m., t.v. and my i-pod. I go from computer in AVR audio out to my preamp tuner in. This way I do get all the functions of my AVR as well as my Adcom and the other 2chl stuff. The other day I was listening and it was thundering like I never heard it ever before. I have modded 2Bs, the Yamaha AVR pushing an 8" powered Klipsch sub and the Klipsch smalls. Have any of you guys ever run your dual systems at the same time and besides the actual controlling (balancing) the volume is there any problem doing this ? Balancing the the AVR is not all that difficult to do and to be sure I do not do this as a practice. None of my 2chl pre amps have ever had sub outs so no joy there.
I do have a small Monster Cable Y-splitter but I don't think it's worth the effort.
2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Were your speakers thundering?

I don't quite get what you're saying?

You have a Yamaha AVR AND an Adcom amp hooked up to your speakers at the same time?

Be a little more descriptive in detail for me, please. I'm a little up in age... :#
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    OK, the Yamaha RX-V665 came 1st w/ the Klipsch set of speakers and the powered sub. After I aired out the system the Yamaha clipped ,went into protecto mode and came back but was not happy. It was not the speakers after calling Klipsch they said that set can handle 100watts , I said like real McIntosh watts or divided bs avr watts. No real 100 watts so it was the Yamaha that clipped. I came into some cash and learned here btw that my unit had preouts and did that w/ the Adcom for a while. Liking what I heard and then started collecting speakers I went full 2 chl. I can separate systems and usually almost always do. This one,two times I had them both going my 2Bs and the Klipsch smalls and what brought this on the Klipsch powered sub. I can't be more specific than that. Oh, to be clear nothing was over amping or close to walls coming down, just the bass was much better w/ the sub.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I need Joey's input on this one. :#
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.