Need advice. Looking at RTA 15TL's or SDA SRS2

rxonmymind
rxonmymind Posts: 19
edited May 2018 in Vintage Speakers
Yup. Finally might be a Polk owner. Listed for $200 and will be going for a listen Saturday. Anything I should look out for? I'll mainly have these for two channel HT duties.
OTOH....
There are a pair of SDA SRS 2's for $500.
I understand they are two different "beasts" lol.
Any opinions on which would be better for HT is appreciated.
Oh downstream I'll only have a Denon 3803 receiver to power them. Not looking at going deaf levels of sound. My wife and I actually listen to HT pretty low.
Thanks.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    What center channel do you plan on using?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rxonmymind
    I wasn't planning on one....
  • F1nut
    It's the most important speaker for HT.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    The SRS 2 are very fussy in a smaller room. At least mine are. There is a minimal distance between them and to the side walls that needs to be considered. I think it was 4 ft between them and at least 3 ft to the outer walls. And since they are about 2 ft wide you are looking at about a 15 ft wall to place them up against.

Make sure you get the cable that goes between them.
  • CH46E
    No center channel? Sounds like stereo movies not HT.
  • CH46E
    edited May 2018
    After looking at the manual, yes the numbers i quoted you are the min recommended. If you cant beat that by a fair margine i would not do the SRS2.
  • rxonmymind
    CH46E wrote: »
    The SRS 2 are very fussy in a smaller room. At least mine are. There is a minimal distance between them and to the side walls that needs to be considered. I think it was 4 ft between them and at least 3 ft to the outer walls. And since they are about 2 ft wide you are looking at about a 15 ft wall to place them up against.

Excellent. I have the room. You mentioned the cables that go between them? Could you elaborate on this? Thanks.
  • rxonmymind
    F1nut wrote: »
    It's the most important speaker for HT.

Got it, thanks. Will add to the list.
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    rxonmymind wrote: »
    CH46E wrote: »

Excellent. I have the room. You mentioned the cables that go between them? Could you elaborate on this? Thanks.

The Polk SDA (*Stereo Dimensional Array*) loudspeakers have a crossfeed cable which connects them to each other. This cable has signals that pass back and forth between each speaker to give you the "Dimensional effect". That being the wider soundstange and depth and height compared to regular stereo loudspeakers. Some like it and some don't. It CAN be rather addictive once you get a taste of it (or not)
    However there is a list of musts that comes with these loudspeakers:
    You MUST have that crossfeed cable
    You MUST set your room up to accommodate the speakers(and NOT the other way around. So if you have an intolerant wifey, then this ain't gonna work)
    You MUST use an amplifier which has a common ground between the channels(most do, but there are enough exceptions out there that Polk Audio felt the need to put a warning on the back of the loudspeakers)or you could damage either the speakers or your amp or both.

The RTA-15TL's are EXCELLENT loudspeakers as well on their own. I used to own a pair and LOVED them, but had to sell them when my financial and housing situation went south.
    They do not require as much "dedication" as the SDA's do.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I've owned both and still own the SRS2's.

You can always use "Fantom mode" in your receiver for the missing center. I know a guy who loved his Center Fantom mode.

But I always felt it's needed for voices mainly. JMHO. I've always had one!

I think the SRS2's are AWESOME but they are HUGE. The 15TL's are BIG.

I think you should save your money from the SRS2's, get the 15TL's and then later, get the SRS2's when you want to hear music like you've never heard it before. The SRS2's put out some of the BEST sounds your ears will ever hear from a set of home speakers. ;)

I've never used my SRS2's for HT so maybe somebody else on the forum has or is still using them for movies too.

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited May 2018
    IIRC the crossover in the RTA15TL's allows the tweeters to play frequencies a little lower than they probably should making it easier to kill them. Combine that with running them off an AVR and you really should keep the volume down like you said. There's a mod for it on the forum here, I can't remember what it's called though. Degato or decato something?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nut
    I wouldn't run either model off an AVR because you'll be disappointed with the results, not to mention there really isn't a matching center channel. It's important to have the front 3 timbre matched.

Consider the new Signature series from Polk instead.

President of Club Polk

• rxonmymind
    You guys are awesome. Will a vintage receiver with 250 watts per channel work?
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 434
    edited May 2018
    I'm running SRS2's in my 5.1.4 HT setup and I’m quite happy with them. Running L/R pre out from the AVR to a 185wpc B&K - I do need (want) a little more juice for those special times... :) someday... I’ve tried them watching movies with and without the interconnect and the SDA effect is not distracting to me (others have said they didn’t like it for HT). Great for putting the AVR in stereo mode for 2ch listening too. Apple TV streaming Pandora, Tidal, and Apple Music is plenty decent for my non-audiophile ears. I’m running a sealed RBH center channel with two 6.5” woofers and a 1” Vifa silk dome tweeter which sounds IMO very “Polk-like”. I even loaded it with a couple of Polk MW's when I was refoaming the OEM drivers and it didn’t sound too bad that way either.

I’ve been tempted by RTA15's because the RTA12C's I have are probably my favorites. But I have no more room. I’ve talked with a fellow that has RTA15's with the Decato mod and he swears they’re the best speaks he's ever had. Good luck choosing!!
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    I listen to cable TV using stereo and it is awesome. No center needed.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050
    The Polk LSiM 706 blends very well with vintage Polks. To my ear it has a very natural vocal reproduction and doesn't stand out as being out of place regardless of volume level.

Go with SDA's if you plan to listen to any music.
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • rxonmymind
    edited May 2018
    Well folks with regret I have to inform Polk country I won't be able to join you yet. Sadly in the midst of my research BOTH speakers were sold.
    Yes my Vintage Marantz 2500 has a common ground and with 250 watts would be able to push the SDA SRS2 Polk's. Now I know.
    An opportunity missed for sure. Twice. :s
    Thank you all for your help and quick responses. Great forum.
  • CH46E
    Where are you located. I might be able to help you with your delima!
  • Tony M
    Me too.. :s:pB)
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited May 2018
    You guys are vultures. Reverse vultures? I've got a pair of Dynaudio bookies if you're looking.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Tony M
    I was just trying to be funny. Kind-of. :);)

I was thinking about regurgitation after reading that" Reverse Vultures" statement. :p
  • rxonmymind
    You guys have jokes. :D
  • honestaquarian
    Both of those are local pickup only and in two different parts of the country. The second pair is not in the best shape.
    The first pair are the one you would definitely want!
  • honestaquarian
    edited May 2018
    OR you could have a look at these puppys. Not as big as the SRS 2's.
    Also local pickup only (which is typical for speakers this big)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-Audiophile-Polk-Audio-SRS-3-1TL-Speakers/142811029414?hash=item2140335fa6:g:s8MAAOSwrjZbCttO
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited May 2018
    My opinion, neither set up would have been ideal.

Honestly, if you are mostly doing Home theatre, a center and smallish Left and right speakers with a decent mid sized sub will perform better and be far more flexible and able to be adjusted to suit the room better.

The Lsic as a center combined with Lsi9's as left and rights, with a sub is hard to beat.
  • F1nut
    K_M wrote: »
    My opinion, neither set up would have been ideal.

Honestly, if you are mostly doing Home theatre, a center and smallish Left and right speakers with a decent mid sized sub will perform better and be far more flexible and able to be adjusted to suit the room better.

The Lsic as a center combined with Lsi9's as left and rights, with a sub is hard to beat.

Damn, another thing we can agree on.

President of Club Polk