I was thinking...

Comments

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    I think mdaudioguy and Jstas both have some diy threads on stands.
  • Hermitism
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Micah

How old are you? Are you in school and saving up for a 703?

I am 14. I’m planning on selling the LSis and the Infinities and I will then use the money to put towards the LSiMs.
    I wish I had joined here when I was 14. Everything I thought I knew about audio was wrong before joining here. I was a late bloomer.

• Hermitism
    Hermitism wrote: »
    Micah

I am 14. I’m planning on selling the LSis and the Infinities and I will then use the money to put towards the LSiMs.
    I wish I had joined here when I was 14. Everything I thought I knew about audio was wrong before joining here. I was a late bloomer.

I have learned so much since last Christmas when I joined, and not even all about audio! I’ve learned about ball lightning, volcanos, diseases and how they are treated, just to name a few.
    Yeah, unfortunately way too many threads are devoted to STD treatment around here.

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Micah

I have learned so much since last Christmas when I joined, and not even all about audio! I’ve learned about ball lightning, volcanos, diseases and how they are treated, just to name a few.
    Yeah, unfortunately way too many threads are devoted to STD treatment around here.

Not necessarily what I was thinking about, but yes.
    I was thinking about the modern medicine thread.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Good on you Micah! A young buck looking into audiophilia.

I started looking into audio when I was 22, that was 13 years ago.

Actually 14 because today’s my day.

But yes, your system is way better than mine was at 14!
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • mlistens03
    Good on you Micah! A young buck looking into audiophilia.

I started looking into audio when I was 22, that was 13 years ago.

Actually 14 because today’s my day.

But yes, your system is way better than mine was at 14!

Happy birthday!
    Good will is the house of deals! My system is better than all my friends setups. That’s not saying much because I have one friend who is into audio, the rest think we are just lunatics who are throwing our money down the toilet :tongue:
    My other friend has JBL LX44s and a older Denon AVR. He also just ordered a Bic America sub, which he is looking forward to using. I have never heard this system, but he claims it sounds incredible (he got the JBLs at a garage sale a week ago)
    This is the same friend who is a basshead, but he is kinda strange in that he is a basshead and a HiFi enthusiast at the same time. He lurks on this forum from time to time, so if your reading this friend of mine... you know who you are :tongue:
    Micah
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited May 2018
    tonyb wrote: »
    A public school kid ? Surprised he even knew what Math was. If he used the common core method, he neither came up with the right answer and it probably took him a day and a half to come up with one.

Don't kids in Public Schools just have multiple choice answers now? A.B.C.D. ?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mlistens03
    Tony M wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    A public school kid ? Surprised he even knew what Math was. If he used the common core method, he neither came up with the right answer and it probably took him a day and a half to come up with one.

Don't kids just have multiple choice answers now? A.B.C.D. ?

I don’t. I almost wish I did, but then I wouldn’t learn anything, huh?
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Back to the stands, harmonics and resonance are the enemy. Those 4 dowls are gonna vibrate, period. Also, a 3 point system will be the most stable. Just something to consider.
  • Tony M
    edited May 2018
    Man, If a lot of us started at your age, we wouldn't own half the things we do now that AREN't audio related. We might all own McIntosh Amps and Pre-amps, Wires like Joey has and maxed out credit cards too.

Thank God I made a living and bought a house and vehicles before I went down the "Rabbit Hole" a little way.

Then I found out also how GREAT our local Goodwill stores are, thanks to a friend and neigbor who wanted me to get up and start walking on my healing broken heel that was operated on about 3 months earlier. Bose had just started promoting their surround sound little cubes and then the tabletop radios. Man, did people donate some awesome stereo gear to downsize during those years. And I was there a lot to scoop them up. My first trip that day with my friend was when I found those MINT POLK Monitor 10's out in front of the door in their boxes. When I heard them back at home, I was leaning over the "Rabbit Hole" and didn't even know it! :#:D

Now I was into stereo sound since I was 10 or 12. I had an older brother who lead the way. He told me a hundred times about what to listen to. Cream, Blood Sweat and Tears and you name it, if it was a hit on WPGC in Washington DC, my brother knew it and passed it on to me to hear. He was a HUGE influance on my musical taste. When he was super excited to show me how good "Steely Dan" was, I knew I was in for a real treat!

Your friends JBL LX44's are some Darn great speakers. I've owned them and they are SPECIAL! You need to hear them.
    y0c8gx0b4p1q.png

He has them paired with a good receiver too I believe. The older reg. Denon receivers sound a little warmer I believe. Maybe someone else with a later model AVR can weigh in on their sound signature.

When it comes to learning, I found out in 10th grade I think, that GREAT TEACHERS help make a great student! I LOVED math. Straight A+'s on every test. Then came Algebra...The teacher SUCKED. He was a boring non-engaged POS. He didn't interact with one student in my class. The math book tutorials were like a foriegn languge to me. I never understood Algebra from trying to read that book. SAD. So that was that.

I'm GLAD you found this Forum at such a young age. But hold on to your wallet and earnings like you're doing and I think you'll be just fine! ;)B)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    "I was thinking..."

Stop doing that, it will only get you in trouble and empty your wallet. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Tony M
    edited May 2018

tonyb Posts: 28,919
    1:17PM
    "I was thinking..."

Stop doing that, it will only get you in trouble and empty your wallet.

Ain't that the truest statement of the year. ;):D

I was thinking about going to that yard sale last Sat. to see what model GoldenEar speakers those were from that little image. So I went.

I came home with a lot less money than I thought I was going to have. :s
  • mlistens03
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Back to the stands, harmonics and resonance are the enemy. Those 4 dowls are gonna vibrate, period. Also, a 3 point system will be the most stable. Just something to consider.

The only reason I want the dowel rods is because to be honest I don’t trust the PVC pipe in the middle. I want something to help it stay balanced, ya know?
    Man, If a lot of us started at your age, we wouldn't own half the things we do now that AREN't audio related. We might all own McIntosh Amps and Pre-amps, Wires like Joey has and maxed out credit cards too.

Thank God I made a living and bought a house and vehicles before I went down the "Rabbit Hole" a little way.

Now I was into stereo sound since I was 10 or 12. I had an older brother who lead the way. He told me a hundred times about what to listen to. Cream, Blood Sweat and Tears and you name it, if it was a hit on WPGC in Washington DC, my brother knew it and passed it on to me to hear. He was a HUGE influance on my musical taste. When he was super excited to show me how good "Steely Dan" was, I knew I was in for a real treat!

Your friends JBL LX44's are some Darn great speakers. I've owned them and they are SPECIAL! You need to hear them.
    y0c8gx0b4p1q.png

He has them paired with a good receiver too I believe. The older reg. Denon receivers sound a little warmer I believe. Maybe someone else with a later model AVR can weigh in on their sound signature.

When it comes to learning, I found out in 10th grade I think, that GREAT TEACHERS help make a great student! I LOVED math. Straight A+'s on every test. Then came Algebra...The teacher SUCKED. He was a boring non-engaged POS. He didn't interact with one student in my class. The math book tutorials were like a foriegn languge to me. I never understood Algebra from trying to read that book. SAD. So that was that.

I'm GLAD you found this Forum at such a young age. But hold on to your wallet and earnings like you're doing and I think you'll be just fine! ;)B)

McIntosh amps and preamps? I’m ready! I’ll just ignore that whole credit card thing :tongue:
    I heard them briefly on the Crown when we brought them home, but they had foam rot and we only wanted to make sure they worked, so we didn’t risk using them for more than a second. He loves them, says that the sound stage is awesome. His Denon is a higher model, but I don’t remember what, I do know it was a $1200 model in the late 90s/early 2000s. He of course doesn’t have the remote for it, so he has not hope of ever doing any kind of change to the settings.
    My math stinks. You basically watch a video on how to do something, and then do 25 problems of the same type of equation. It works, and I am learning, but it’s boring to no end :weary:
    I am also glad that I found this forum so soon. I’ve enjoyed it, and learned a lot along the way. Looking forward to many more years and thousands of posts in the future! :lol:
    Micah
  • mlistens03
    Oh about the stands again, I was thinking maybe an aluminum pipe would work better than the PVC? It would ring, but that’s why I would fill it with sand/lead shot.
  • Tony M
    Here you go Micah.

Simple and Solid as can be. You could spike them too. Paint them or stain them too.

I'd screw them together though.
    1b5qx4s82abg.png
  • mlistens03
    Here you go Micah.

Simple and Solid as can be. You could spike them too. Paint them or stain them too.

I'd screw them together though.
    1b5qx4s82abg.png

That’s looks great!
    I’m working on another design, if it doesn’t work out then I will find another one that has already been made. I want my stands to be unique! :wink:
  • Tony M
    Good for you.

I hope you have success in your personal design.

There's nothing like CREATING your own anything. I know! ;)B)
  • mlistens03
    Ok, in the past few minutes I’ve come up with this. It has the same baseplate and top plate, but instead of 1 four inch PVC pipe, there are three pipes and no dowl rods. The pipe in the front is slightly leaned back, and meets with the top plate just in front of the other two. The other two pipes will either be straight upright, or leaned slightly to the middle.
    8c2nav98lo7z.jpeg
    h77od2vpqtdq.jpeg
    dlaossl1x6hq.jpeg
    ewdolnarvlwo.jpeg
    I don’t know if this idea is any better, if it’s not I will officially give up and make one that’s already been made by someone else :wink:
    All the pipes will be filled with sand by the way.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Well Happy Birthday @Joey_V !

And, way to be progressive with designing your own one of a kind speaker stands Micah!
  • mlistens03
    scubalab wrote: »
    Well Happy Birthday @Joey_V !

And, way to be progressive with designing your own one of a kind speaker stands Micah!

Thanks! :smiley:
  • Tony M
    Here you go Micah.

The Original Eagle Band Members.

You might enjoy this read if you can open the link.

https://www.reference.com/art-literature/were-original-eagles-band-members-e770c53437a6b3a0

• mlistens03
    Here you go Micah.

The Original Eagle Band Members.

You might enjoy this read if you can open the link.

https://www.reference.com/art-literature/were-original-eagles-band-members-e770c53437a6b3a0

I could open it, very interesting read! I didn’t realize how many different people came and went from the band. Thanks for posting that!
    Micah
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited May 2018
    @mlistens03

After combing through the thread, I honestly believe you’d be better off with the Signature Series but in a floorstanding speaker. S50, S55, or S60. IMHO, a bookie an top of a stand occupies the same footprint as a floorstanding speaker so there’s little advantage in going that route solely to save space.

The main reason I’m saying this is due to the downward firing power port featured on the Sigs. This makes placement in a small room, like yours, much easier. I do believe that the Sigs reveal a lot of details in your music without being bright or harsh. If you go to the TOTL S60, the mid bass driver is different than in any of the other Sig Series speakers so the sound is enhanced more so than any other speaker in the line. I’ve got some decent electronics behind mine and they respond well to the “upgrades.”

Lastly, you can try the sig series in your room with little to no risk. Pick up a set at your local Best Buy, take them home, and try them out in your room to see how they sound in your environment and on your gear. That’s going to tell you exactly what they bring to the table. If you play around with placement and get them dialed in within th return window, you’ll know for sure whether or not their sound signature is what you’re after.

Good luck in your search!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mlistens03
    I don’t think the rear firing port will be an issue. I put my Infinities where the Polks would be (the Infinities can be incredibly bass heavy with the wrong placement) and they actually sounded almost hollow. I don’t know, I’ll have to think about it.
    Tony, I’m going to my friends house tonight, so I’ll give you my impressions on the LX44s. Can’t bring any electronics over though because I’m not home now, and I’m gonna go straight there. :confused:
    I’ll think about it tonight, thanks for the suggestions!
    Micah
  • Joey_V
    On the other hand, if this were a desktop unit or a computer speaker then I think 703 is the way to go for close proximity listening
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    What’s an Lx44?
  • Tony M
    See the picture up above. ^^^^^ They sounded really nice to me!
  • mlistens03
    What’s an Lx44?

90s JBL speakers