Record Club vinyl compared to reg. Label Pressings. INTERESTING read! Who would've thought the Club

Tony M
Tony M Posts: 11,009
When I was commenting about the Audio Fidelity closing his doors, I thought about the quality of vinyl pressing. Sooo I put a question in to the web. This little thread was the first one I read and WOW, the Led Zepplin copy from the Club sounded better than an original? Come on...Really?

It might be the UK version or something but the thread was interesting to say the least. I'm sure there's more info, I just was SHOCKED from I just read in those few minutes that I had to try and let you guys and gals know about this ( maybe underground movement) old club vinyl interest that seemed to be popping up last year.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/record-values-original-vs-record-club-editions.636436/page-2
Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    That is pretty surprising, Tony. I would have thought the club presses to be inferior. It seems to depend on what you're looking that, apparently.

How long were those record clubs around? I only remember them from the 80s. I think it was Columbia House and BMG at the time. I'd switched over to tapes by the time I was old enough to buy my own music, and remember many of them would arrive in cheap white plastic tape cases without full inserts/liner notes. It would have the outer album art, and that's it. Some of the record store copies I'd see would be in the nicer gray/transparent tape cases with full liner notes. Wouldn't know about the quality at the time. No basis for comparison, and was only using my Sony Sports Walkman and Soundesign all-in-wonder :)
    I disabled signatures.
  • Tony M
    You nailed it. Around the turn of late 70's into the 80's. Records/ I think I joined colubia House back then.

I remember getting VHS by the ton. I had a great yamaha surround receiver and set up to enjoy the then new Dolby surround format. :D
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Tony M wrote: »
    You nailed it. Around the turn of late 70's into the 80's. Records/ I think I joined colubia House back then.

I remember getting VHS by the ton. I had a great yamaha surround receiver and set up to enjoy the then new Dolby surround format. :D

Pron came in dolby??
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    For some of the 180g re-releases, they've done them the disservice of "remastering" them. And what that means is they have brick walled everything so it "sounds good" against today's music. Thanks loudness wars.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    Record clubs have been around since the 1950's.
    f3r9hfkxvh5z.jpg
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    I was a member of RCOA...Record Club Of America..Got quite a few releases months before they hit the market...Allman Brothers debut..Nazz..John Mayall to name a few...All with the RCOA sticker on the back jacket somewhat like a promo..Sounded fine then..sound fine now!...
  • Tony M
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    Record clubs have been around since the 1950's.
    f3r9hfkxvh5z.jpg

Holy Moly...1955??? WOW.

EXCUSE ME. :s

I was into getting stereo review every month and filling out that advertisers request card in them every month if a new manufacturer came out with something new. I kept a lot of their flyers those Co. sent back to me. I loved it. I thought if they offering deals back then in the begging, I would've taken notice. But I guess I didn't. :(:#

But I sure missed the Columbia House ads for record memberships in my first magazines or I didn't make enough money or something to be able to join. The money issue and a stable address and a checking account is coming into my memory now. Come to think about it, I didn't get my first magazine until 1976 I think.

I wonder how many of our other members were getting records in 65 or so on up to the 70's and until they closed or decided to get records from record stores instead.