Using preamp 2 outputs for 2 pairs of speakers

Options
I have a thread in "electronics" that perhaps I should have posted here. I think the normal use of the 2 outputs on a preamp are for biamping? Can they also be used to run 2 pairs of speakers(1 pair would be indoor and 1 pair outdoor) with 2 amps? If I wanted to only run say the outdoor speakers, I just would not turn on the "indoor amp"? Would this cause any damage?
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    muncybob wrote: »
    I have a thread in "electronics" that perhaps I should have posted here. I think the normal use of the 2 outputs on a preamp are for biamping? Can they also be used to run 2 pairs of speakers(1 pair would be indoor and 1 pair outdoor) with 2 amps? If I wanted to only run say the outdoor speakers, I just would not turn on the "indoor amp"? Would this cause any damage?

It would make no difference to the preamp, it is designed to use both outputs. I don’t know if it would cause damage to the amp or pre to have the pre plugged in and running into the amp, which is turned off. It could cause damage, or it could do nothing. I don’t know, and I’m looking forward to the answers of others (a question I’ve wondered about myself :wink: )
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited May 2018
    Options
    You'd be fine.....as long as you can manually switch between the 2 different outputs and are running two amps I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

Some pre amps have dual outputs for running subs with and both are active all the time. If your able to switch between outputs on the front of the pre, you should be peachy.

Of course, the other option is....just use a speaker selector switch.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Of course, the other option is....just use a speaker selector switch.
    Yes, but that’s no fun.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,326
    Options
    No issue whatsoever.

Gain matching would be the only possible wrinkle. I would assume if you pick up another Parasound amp, the gains would be similar (though TBH I don’t have a lot of experience with the brand). That would only leave speaker efficiency as the determining factor for equal sound output between the two, assuming that’s a concern.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,972
    Options
    So it makes no difference if the pre is tubed? I don't have a switch to choose the output so I'm relying on not turning on the amp to not engage a pair of speakers.

A speaker switch would be my route to take normally but I want to upgrade my "indoor" amp from the HCA1000 and use the latter for the outdoor speakers. I could just get a Parasound 2250 and sell the 1000 but it may be cheaper and less hassle to just buy another amp such as the HCA1500? Looking for more current to the indoor speakers at less than $800.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    No difference. The only keep (which you identified) is that the signal will be going to both amps 24/7, so you'd need to turn OFF the amp you DONT want on.

Also there "might" be differences in how LOUD each set it due to difference in sensitivity of the speakers as I'm assuming you'd be using different brand speakers in each room.

If the amps you have provide a gain knob, then you could adjust till the levels are even and be fine (if you even care)
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited May 2018
    Options
    muncybob wrote: »
    So it makes no difference if the pre is tubed? I don't have a switch to choose the output so I'm relying on not turning on the amp to not engage a pair of speakers.

A speaker switch would be my route to take normally but I want to upgrade my "indoor" amp from the HCA1000 and use the latter for the outdoor speakers. I could just get a Parasound 2250 and sell the 1000 but it may be cheaper and less hassle to just buy another amp such as the HCA1500? Looking for more current to the indoor speakers at less than $800.

Makes no difference if the pre is tubed. However, it would if that other set of outputs was dedicated to a subwoofer output. Seems to me, a speaker selector switch would be cheaper than buying another amp..I use something like this but for 3 sets of speakers.

https://www.amazon.com/Speaker-Selector-Switcher-Control-Commercial/dp/B00UZ86M0E/ref=sr_1_37?ie=UTF8&qid=1526998891&sr=8-37&keywords=speaker+selector+switch

That way, you can benefit from it accepting up to 12ga. wire, which is a plus and not all do, and individual volume control, which some do not have.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • muncybob
    Options
    Tony, that's a nice selector for sure. I may get this to use with the avr which runs my front deck speakers along with the movie room speakers. Currently have an old Niles switch that works fine but it won't take nanners.

The original thought was get more current to my 2B's for better low volume listening and I figured why not also include the back deck speakers too(which are currently also connected to that Niles switch off the avr) so I can enjoy my records while chillaxing. I'm hoping upgrading the HCA1000 to an amp with more current will give me better low volume sound? Not worried about any difference in gain as I doubt I will ever run all four speakers(2B's and back deck spkrs) at the same time.

So, knowing another amp will be in the works and a budget of $800 max...any suggestions? As I stated previously, I was leaning toward the Parasound 2250 as the HCA1000 has good synergy with the tubed pre but now that I know I can use 2 amps with no problems the door opens up a bit. Keep in mind I'm really needing an amp that sounds good at low volume and of course even better at higher db.
  • pongshi
    pongshi Posts: 376
    Options
    I had a similar issue since I have 2 sets of speakers set up in my living room. Depending on where I sit, I select either A or B set. I used a Niles Speaker selector. I don't remember the model. It was one of their more expensive units and it was for 4 speakers. It worked well, but I later bought a Parasound 250 V2 which I am still using. It has an A/B switch. It is a shame more amps don't have this feature. The 2250 v2 may not get as many accolades as their more expensive amps, but I am very pleased with mine.
    Living Room
    Parasound Model 2250v2 amplifier
    Parasound P5 preamp
    Turntable 1 - Technics SL-1210Mk2 turntable with Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Turntable 2 - Dual 1229 turntable, Dual AS-12 45 RPM stacker, Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Schiit Mani Phono Preamp for Turntable 2
    Oppo UDP-205 CD/SACD USB and FLAC duties
    Technics RS-1500US reel to reel
    Polk SDA SRS (2nd Gen) fully modded
  • muncybob
    Options
    The 2250 is rated at 45 amps peak, the HCA1000 at 35. I wonder if apprx 30% more current will provide me the improvement I'm after?