SDS-SRS 1.2

Hi there,

Quite new to this forum, I have SDA-SRS 1.2 Ser##1133,2130 and came to the point of replacing Polyswitch for both crossovers, some folks just put the resistor instead, some just bridge it, if I want to stay on the safe side and replace the polyswitch, where I can get them?. Just received the Email from Polk Audio, they do not have parts for SDA-SRS anymore...Will appreciate very much any reply, folks.

Kind regards,
kedalov

Best Answer

Answers

• kedalov
    kedalov Posts: 9
    Thank you very much!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Big mistake.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• kedalov
    Please,tell me why?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    The polyswitches were only mediocre at best and brought a LOT of negatives to the table. Quality amplification and there is little to worry about, you run into trouble with too little power and over driving what you do have to the point of clipping. Polyswitches do little to save tweeters with a clipped signal. Polk in the past sent them out free of charge, have you called to ask if they still do?

Personally I would put in a resistor.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    kedalov wrote: »
    Please,tell me why?

Some feel they degrade the sound a bit also. The resistor in place is the best choice.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kedalov
    Thanks for your reply, folks, if resistor, what value you will recommend?
  • kedalov
    And I have called Polk, they do not have any parts for these speakers anymore.
  • Mills MRA -10 or 12 watt are a very good choice, .5 ohm is the right value.
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• kedalov
    Randy, thank you very much.
  • pitdogg2
    Mills MRA -10 or 12 watt are a very good choice, .5 ohm is the right value.

This is a resistor fyi but honestly the path I'd take
  • drnodegree
    drnodegree Posts: 7
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    The polyswitches were only mediocre at best and brought a LOT of negatives to the table. Quality amplification and there is little to worry about, you run into trouble with too little power and over driving what you do have to the point of clipping. Polyswitches do little to save tweeters with a clipped signal. Polk in the past sent them out free of charge, have you called to ask if they still do?

I am a new owner of SDA SRS speakers and when I first hooked them up I was running 170w into them... The amp wasn't clipping...but one channel the polyswitch would cut out the tweeters...not even at a very loud level (but loud nevertheless).

I have increased the power to them and am now running an amp that is 300W into 8ohms (550@4) and still experience the poly switches cutting out the tweeters.

Granted this does happen at high volumes, but neither the amp is clipping nor am I experiencing ANY distortion from the speaker or any other indication that it is being driven too hard.

I considered removing the polyswitch however I feel if I do I may be replacing tweeters!
    Polyswitches are not something I understand fail over time or "get weak"... The purist in me feels I should just leave them alone and turn the dial a little to the left :wink:

kedalov...I was wondering what made you decide to replace them???

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited May 2018
    drnodegree wrote: »

I am a new owner of SDA SRS speakers and when I first hooked them up I was running 170w into them... The amp wasn't clipping...but one channel the polyswitch would cut out the tweeters...not even at a very loud level (but loud nevertheless).

I have increased the power to them and am now running an amp that is 300W into 8ohms (550@4) and still experience the poly switches cutting out the tweeters.

Granted this does happen at high volumes, but neither the amp is clipping nor am I experiencing ANY distortion from the speaker or any other indication that it is being driven too hard.

I considered removing the polyswitch however I feel if I do I may be replacing tweeters!
    Polyswitches are not something I understand fail over time or "get weak"... The purist in me feels I should just leave them alone and turn the dial a little to the left :wink:

kedalov...I was wondering what made you decide to replace them???
    Replace the Polyswitches with a .5 ohm, 12 watt Mills resistors, and never look back. The Polyswitches can get more sensitive over time, and their resistance also varies over time. Polk even tried pre-conditioning them for consistency. Eventually, they gave up and just eliminated them entirely.

Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • F1nut
    Polyswitches are evil.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• kedalov
    drnodegree. I am loosing high frequency at high preamp clicks and after the pause I have them back not for long again.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    drnodegree. I am loosing high frequency at high preamp clicks and after the pause I have them back not for long again.

That's because the poly switch acts like a thermal breaker. But unlike a breaker, poly switches get more sensitive each time they're tripped.

Follow @westmassguy 's instructions and enjoy your music.
  • F1nut

What are you driving the speakers with? Where on the volume knob position do the tweeters cut out?

President of Club Polk

• kedalov
    Parasound JC-1 monoblocks, there is no certain position, it depends from the record level.
  • FestYboy
    Parasound JC-1 monoblocks, there is no certain position, it depends from the record level.

That had better be without the interconnect cable, or with an AI-1/dreadnaught.
  • pitdogg2
    FestYboy wrote: »

There would be another help question if the cable was in play.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy wrote: »

There would be another help question if the cable was in play.

True that
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    Hi there,

Quite new to this forum, I have SDA-SRS 1.2 Ser##1133,2130 and came to the point of replacing Polyswitch for both crossovers, some folks just put the resistor instead, some just bridge it, if I want to stay on the safe side and replace the polyswitch, where I can get them?

Here are some threads you may find helpful:

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/128258/resistor-replacement-for-the-sda-srs-1-2tl-polyswitch

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/73796/sda-polyswitches-are-nasty/p1

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!