Older video connectors on HT receivers

Options
Hi guys,
I'm into retro gaming. My display only has HDMI and Component inputs.
I play PS1 and PS2 games. I run PS1 games through backwards compatibility off my fat PS2 console with Component.
Now I want to start playing my original XBOX and Dreamcast games. I have component for XBOX and S-Video for DC.
I'm out of inputs on my display and I can't play my DC at all because my tv has no S-video.

About 10 years ago I had a Pioneer Elite HT receiver which had all sorts of inputs and I was able to send everything from composite to component via HDMI.

I no longer have the Pioneer so I'll be looking for a used older receiver locally. If I were to use the component out to my tv, will the receiver convert all input signals to component? My older consoles require composite, s-video and component.

I don't want to go with a more recent model because I don't want to use HDMI. My retro games have the proper look using component cables to my plasma. I find the contrast and gamma somewhat weird with HDMI for older games (playing PS1 games on PS3 with HDMI output).

Will the conversion to component on the receiver cause any input lag? This is very important for me. I hear it happens with HDMI but I'm hoping it won't with analog connections.

Thanks

Comments

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    Moss_Man wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I play PS1 and PS2 games. I run PS1 games through backwards compatibility off my fat PS2 console with Component.
    Now I want to start playing my original XBOX and Dreamcast games. I have component for XBOX and S-Video for DC.
    I'm out of inputs on my display and I can't play my DC at all because my tv has no S-video.

About 10 years ago I had a Pioneer Elite HT receiver which had all sorts of inputs and I was able to send everything from composite to component via HDMI.

I no longer have the Pioneer so I'll be looking for a used older receiver locally. If I were to use the component out to my tv, will the receiver convert all input signals to component? My older consoles require composite, s-video and component.

I don't want to go with a more recent model because I don't want to use HDMI. My retro games have the proper look using component cables to my plasma. I find the contrast and gamma somewhat weird with HDMI for older games (playing PS1 games on PS3 with HDMI output).

Will the conversion to component on the receiver cause any input lag? This is very important for me. I hear it happens with HDMI but I'm hoping it won't with analog connections.

Thanks

My Yamaha receiver does the same thing (I believe it’s called video upscaling or something like that, but I’m not sure), although I think you can only use it with either HDMI or component into the tv. Not bad for you but for someone else, maybe. I’ll have to check later but I don’t think it has S-video, probably too new for that (2004-06 were the production dates I think). Otherwise it has everything: component, composite, HDMI (albeit an ancient version), etc. Maybe if you look into the higher models in the line, then you could find one with S-video? It’s an RX-v665, so you could look into that and the similar receivers.
    At least in my experience it does not cause any lag, although I only used it once and I mostly was watching a movie. I did play a racing game for like 10 minutes and there was almost no latency so I think it should work for you.
    I will check later to see if it has S-video but for now all I can tell you is I don’t think so.
    Micah
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    That's a lot of video games your playing. I suppose the proper question to ask first is....

Is all your homework done first ? :):):)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Moss_Man
    Moss_Man Posts: 28
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Thanks for the suggestion Pitdogg. Unfortunately it won't work in my situation. I scrolled through the review. Most people were complaining that it doesn't work, and someone mentioned that it will only work with a handful of devices that are capable of sending analog signals through HDMI. I'm also trying to avoid HDMI in the signal path because I want to skip any analog/digital/analog conversion.

Thanks again
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Thanks

My Yamaha receiver does the same thing (I believe it’s called video upscaling or something like that, but I’m not sure), although I think you can only use it with either HDMI or component into the tv. Not bad for you but for someone else, maybe. I’ll have to check later but I don’t think it has S-video, probably too new for that (2004-06 were the production dates I think). Otherwise it has everything: component, composite, HDMI (albeit an ancient version), etc. Maybe if you look into the higher models in the line, then you could find one with S-video? It’s an RX-v665, so you could look into that and the similar receivers.
    At least in my experience it does not cause any lag, although I only used it once and I mostly was watching a movie. I did play a racing game for like 10 minutes and there was almost no latency so I think it should work for you.
    I will check later to see if it has S-video but for now all I can tell you is I don’t think so.
    Micah

Thank you, Micah! I'm guessing it's safe to assume Pioneer and Yamaha from that era should all convert all analog signals to its component output. That's great to hear. I will most likely look for a Yamaha from the mid 2000's. I do like their sound. I'll look around the model # you suggested. I won't use the upscaling feature however. Just going to use it for video switching and connect my Polks to it. Thing I like about component is that it can send a raw 480i signal to my display.

Thanks again.
    tonyb wrote: »
    That's a lot of video games your playing. I suppose the proper question to ask first is....

Is all your homework done first ? :):):)

So nice to not have homework interrupt my gaming anymore lol.
    I don't play much on weekdays, but during the weekends, I pull all nighters, and even falling asleep while playing hahaha.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Thanks

Micah

Thank you, Micah! I'm guessing it's safe to assume Pioneer and Yamaha from that era should all convert all analog signals to its component output. That's great to hear. I will most likely look for a Yamaha from the mid 2000's. I do like their sound. I'll look around the model # you suggested. I won't use the upscaling feature however. Just going to use it for video switching and connect my Polks to it. Thing I like about component is that it can send a raw 480i signal to my display.

Thanks again.

you are welcome. I just checked, it does not have S-video inputs. I just checked, the RX line is still being produced to this day, although they are very different receivers. they were also produced long before this one, but once again, very different.
    It would be awesome if you could update old games from 480i to 1080 or 4k... but then you would lose the whole classic aspect of it.