Polk Audio RTA 12

Options
kansas
kansas Posts: 14
I picked up a mint set for 180.00 and the guy threw in a Denon home theater receiver, regardless planning on new veneer and re-cap and recover the grills.
My question is c-2 and c-5 I can’t see what the rating is n these caps.
My RTA’s have the sl-2000 tweets if that makes any difference.
Thanks in advance

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    Remove the caps and you'll be able to see the value.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    Replace the tweets with the RDO 194.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    I can verify when I get home...
  • kansas
    Options
    Does anyone know the value of those little poly caps?
    I’ll start ordering caps this weekend but before I order I’d like to see if I have those little caps on hand
  • F1nut
    edited May 2018
    Options
    You're not helping yourself here. There are multiple versions of that model speaker, which one do you have? Post a picture of the crossover and describe in detail which caps you are asking about.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• kansas
    Options
    Ok, sorry I forgot about the Polk Audio mystery’s. I remember now reflecting back on the rebuild on my monitor 10 b’s...
    They are the little brown poly caps..
  • kansas
    Options
    I just noticed one of c2 caps is missing, I have no clue about the version of these speakers. C2 missing has no real effect on performance, I know new caps, ( I think I’m gonna try some Mundorf’s)and the rdo 194 tweets will help tremendously.
    Plus sealing cabinets inside etc..
    Mods made my 10’s sound much better
  • F1nut
    Options
    The small dark brown ones are 750pF silver mica bypass caps. Remove and do not replace since you are upgrading to poly caps. The small mustard yellow is a polyswitch. Remove and replace with a .5 ohm 12 watt Mills resistor. Mundorf would not be my choice for those speakers.

President of Club Polk

• kansas
    Options
    Sonicaps huh? I used Mundorf in a set of SDA 2’s I helped a friend restore.
  • kansas
    Options
    F1nut, so are these the first version of the RTA 12’s?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Sonicaps or Clarity in the uppers
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    kansas wrote: »

Nope they are not. First version had peerless tweeter
  • kansas
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Do you have any idea what version these are? I think only 3 exist of this era?
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    If I remember correctly the very first version had the Peerless tweeter mounted vertically. The next version had the Peerless mounted horizontally and the crossover changed. After that the crossover remained the same but they went to the silver faced SL1000 and finally the SL2000.
  • kansas
    Options
    Faustin wrote: »
    If I remember correctly the very first version had the Peerless tweeter mounted vertically. The next version had the Peerless mounted horizontally and the crossover changed. After that the crossover remained the same but they went to the silver faced SL1000 and finally the SL2000.

Thank you, I absolutely adore them and I’ll post some pictures as the restoration process begins..
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    Kansas, sorry to hijack the thread, but is that a Onkyo TX-v940 (or same line) integrated in the background? I have one of those and I thought I would ask how you like it.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Do you have any idea what version these are? I think only 3 exist of this era?

RTA 12C Had a pair at one time.
  • kansas
    Options
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Kansas, sorry to hijack the thread, but is that a Onkyo TX-v940 (or same line) integrated in the background? I have one of those and I thought I would ask how you like it.

I bought it at goodwill for 15.00
    It’s a “fill in” I’m actually quite impressed though. Has a 4-8 ohm speaker switch and a phono input. Sounds pretty good for what it is

• mlistens03
    Options

It’s a “fill in” I’m actually quite impressed though. Has a 4-8 ohm speaker switch and a phono input. Sounds pretty good for what it is

Thanks for your input. $15.00 seems like a absolute steal to me. I’ve never used the phone but I heard that the phono stages on these are pretty good for what they are. Mine was given to me by my grandpa with some Onkyo speakers, and it sounded pretty good if I recall, although at that time it was good if it had decent bass, and nothing else mattered. I gave away those speakers to a guy who put them in a closet and I wanna ask for them back, but I don’t have the guts :lol:
    I need to pull that receiver out of the closet and give it a good listen. Once it’s fixed, anyway :grimace:
  • F1nut
    Options

What that switch does when flipped to the 4 ohm setting is restrict current so the amp doesn’t cook itself. Restricting current compromises the performance and should be avoided.

President of Club Polk

• mlistens03
    Options

It’s a “fill in”

May I ask, what's it filling in for?
  • kansas
    Options

It’s a “fill in”

May I ask, what's it filling in for?

I have an Aragon 28k preamp, Adcom 555
    And 2 hafler dh 200’s
    Waiting on Adcom stuff from musical concepts.
    I should have 1 of the hafler’s up this weekend and the second hafler is going to be completely rebuilt with musical concepts boards etc..
    It’s a constant at my house.
    Shuffling stuff around to for rebuilding.