AMC 2100 Amplifier

I have a chance to pick up this model from a local source at around a bill but will try to talk him to $75. Just curious if anyone has experience they can share on the sound signature? I have read conflicting reports, some people prefer them to the Parasound HCA1000, some people say they are really musical others say they are bright.

This would be a temporary amp to get me off of my Yamaha AV34. Will be using my Denon PRA1200 preamp.
Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
" I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
"Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
"Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
"Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I wouldn't expect miracles from it. Chances are you may need to refresh some parts too, so that lowball price may reflect that need.

Worth a shot though for a hundie. How bad can it be ? It is only a 100 watter too, so depending on what your pushing with it, possible you might get by with it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    tonyb wrote: »
    I wouldn't expect miracles from it. Chances are you may need to refresh some parts too, so that lowball price may reflect that need.

Worth a shot though for a hundie. How bad can it be ? It is only a 100 watter too, so depending on what your pushing with it, possible you might get by with it.

Yeah wasn't expecting anything end game even for a mid-fier like me. I was gonna run my SDA2bs, I wasn't paying attention to the wattage as much as the 32 amps of current available which seem to be plenty for low to med level listening. My current Yammy runs at 120 watts which is plenty enough for me, just want something with better stereo separation which I hear this amp does well enough for the price.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • tonyb
    Should be just peachy for 2b's, see if you can demo it before you buy it. Make sure there's no static or lopsided volume between channels.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • codycatalist
    Will do! Thanks for offering your opinion, I did research even on this forum and got some hits just not a lot in the way of how well it might work in my situation. Hopefully it pans out, will report back once I go visit the guy.

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    AMC was started by former NAD people. It's solid gear. I think you'll be surprised how good it sounds. $75 is a great deal, $100 not bad either.

Report back is you buy it

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    The 2100 is a solid state entry.
    I have the 2030 which is a hybrid EL34 tube amp.

I like it a lot but from the factory it was shipped with soldered in tubes. My wife had mine shipped to someone to have it modified with sockets so I can roll tubes through mine.

I don't know much about the 2100 though.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    The 2100 is a solid state entry.
    I have the 2030 which is a hybrid EL34 tube amp.

I like it a lot but from the factory it was shipped with soldered in tubes. My wife had mine shipped to someone to have it modified with sockets so I can roll tubes through mine.

I don't know much about the 2100 though.

And I'm betting its in a box somewhere right not... IE your smaller version of the "Lightman Warehouse" :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • codycatalist
    heiney9 wrote: »
    AMC was started by former NAD people. It's solid gear. I think you'll be surprised how good it sounds. $75 is a great deal, $100 not bad either.

Report back is you buy it

H9

I saw you mention that it was an offshoot of NAD which got me interested. Glad you chimed in!

• heiney9
    I don't have first hand experience with AMC stuff other than a dac. I think if the amp is in good working order it punches higher than it's price point. Not sure of the age, but if it's 20 years or older it may need to be recapped for best performance.

For $75-100, I think it should do well.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • codycatalist
    Meh he doesn't want to audition it, wants me to believe it is working because he tested it. Tried to say I will throw $75 if untested but he is firm on a hundred. Might not pick up, I would hate to buy it just to find out more money is needed to get it up and running.

Still on the fence.

• codycatalist
    HA! Called his bluff, he is going to accept $80. Ill report back tmrw once I get home with it.

• tonyb
    I guy who doesn't want to audition it and is low balling the price means your spending 80 bucks for a door stop. I would pass....
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited May 2018
    yep Tony is on to something there.....

But who knows you may need a fancy door stop :D
  • heiney9
    If it was a huge PITA to audition it and you felt the guy was being 100% honest, but otherwise it smells of if fish...lol.

Hope it works out

H9
  • codycatalist
    If it was a huge PITA to audition it and you felt the guy was being 100% honest, but otherwise it smells of if fish...lol.

Hope it works out

H9

He changed his tune a bit and stated I am more than welcome to audition but he wants me to bring speakers and my preamp then plug them into an outlet at a gas station. I just am meh on doing so. Will keep you all posted.

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Plug in & verify it powers on. Bring a multi meter to check the dc offset of each channel. If less than +/- 30mV you're probably good to go. Alternately use a 1/8" to rca y cable from your phone's headphone jack into the amp & a small speaker. One speaker will do, you can swap it to the other channel to check both. I keep a pair of Radio Shack Minimus 7s around for such a purpose.
  • codycatalist
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Plug in & verify it powers on. Bring a multi meter to check the dc offset of each channel. If less than +/- 30mV you're probably good to go. Alternately use a 1/8" to rca y cable from your phone's headphone jack into the amp & a small speaker. One speaker will do, you can swap it to the other channel to check both. I keep a pair of Radio Shack Minimus 7s around for such a purpose.

I'll have to poke around and find something small. My smallest speaker at the moment are some New Large Advents ha!

• ukcolin99
    ukcolin99 Posts: 286

Hope it works out

H9

He changed his tune a bit and stated I am more than welcome to audition but he wants me to bring speakers and my preamp then plug them into an outlet at a gas station. I just am meh on doing so. Will keep you all posted.

You are joking, gas station....
  • codycatalist
    ukcolin99 wrote: »

Hope it works out

H9

Nope which is why I told him I didn't want to plug my stuff in at some gas station outlet. I can understand being cautious and not wanting someone to meet you at your house especially over $80. I might just pick up a multimeter and test like Dave recommended, most hassle-free way to tell if there is an issue.

• tonyb
    edited May 2018
    The warning signs are there chief, don't make me say "told ya so", because I will. ;)

Hook it up to that Monoprice flamethrower....and stand back.

66mwc4ihsohv.jpg
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    tonyb wrote: »
    The warning signs are there chief, don't make me say "told ya so", because I will. ;)

Hook it up to that Monoprice flamethrower....and stand back.

66mwc4ihsohv.jpg

woah, that is quite literally the best Monoprice in used condition I have ever seen!!
    Where did you find it??
  • codycatalist
    ukcolin99 wrote: »

Hope it works out

H9

Nope which is why I told him I didn't want to plug my stuff in at some gas station outlet. I can understand being cautious and not wanting someone to meet you at your house especially over $80. I might just pick up a multimeter and test like Dave recommended, most hassle-free way to tell if there is an issue.

Fine fine, I'll take your word on it bud. The search continues!