Basement Leak at Verb's House!

124»

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,013
    edited May 2018
    The prettiest yards seem to always have a GREAT sprinkler system, don't they? ;)B)

A sprinkler system...That's another thing I need to install. ;)

My yard is small so it wouldn't cost much if I get a well drilled and line system installed. Heck, I could install the lines myself..easy!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Tony M wrote: »
    The prettiest yards seem to always a GREAT sprinkler system, don't they? ;)B)

A sprinkler system...That's another thing I need to install. ;)

My yard is small so it wouldn't cost much if I get a well drilled and line system installed. Heck, I could install the lines myself..easy!

Yep. I did that at the old house, pretty small yard. This new yard is a bit bigger (2 acres, about 1/2 of it has sprinklers. We have a separate meter so they only charge for the water, no sewer, but it can get pricey during the summer.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Tony M
    Thanks. Good to know about discounted water bills. B)

I might qualify for senior discounts too. :p

You know I like discounts.
  • Kingrat
    Kingrat Posts: 74
    Having had a basement disaster, I would recommend a "Leakfrog" or similar water alarm. It would have saved me two pretty expensive replacement bills if I had them. I lived in my house from 1982 until 2015 without a single water issue. Suddenly, I had two of them within 6 months. The first one was when I suddenly had a couple of inches of water after a big storm, ruining my floorstanding speakers. I decided not to claim insurance on the damage, as the $1000 deductible was almost what the speakers were worth. After the problem was supposedly solved (a downspout had clogged up), I bought some new speakers and thought all was well. One day I woke up and the house seemed to be very humid. It was winter and some of my windows were sweating. Uh oh. I went downstairs and the water heater had blown open and there was about an inch of water on the floor and another pair of ruined speakers. I decided not to replace them this time and after checking everything out hired an expert who found out the water heater wasn't the only problem, as water had come down the wall again too. Finally it was resolved, the downspouts needed to be extended and adjusted to get the water away from the house. I moved all my surviving equipment upstairs and soon sold the house. He reports no more water.

A neighbor wasn't so lucky. One night, I was walking my dog as I often did, and as I passed their house, I heard an odd "Urrrrrrrrrkkk!" noise. My dog kept looking at the house, cocking his head. Just then, their lights came on, and they started running around. Their water inlet pipe had developed a leak, and it had started to collapse the basement wall, a cinder block type, unlike my house, which had a poured concrete foundation. The noise was the big picture window being squeezed as the basement wall began to fail. He came out and told me what was going on, and that he had called a local place that did the type of work needed to fix it. They began to arrive about 4am, the picture window had shattered, and the outside brick wall had started coming apart. It cost many thousands of dollars to fix and they had to dig up the foundation to repair it as it had actually been damaged over the entire front of the house. Drywall and piping had to be replaced and it was a huge mess. They did a great job and the house looks perfect, but wow, it sure happened in a hurry, and was expensive, like 1/3rd the value of the house.
    Cable atheist: They're just trying to get your money like a TV preacher!
    Vinyl system: I'm long done with the snap, crackle, and pop.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,305
    Dang, that had to sting a little bit. Yowzers.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,888
    As I’m just finishing remodeling the basement, this thread gives me anxiety...
  • Tony M
    I had a moment when walking down a country road around 1975.

I heard a crack sound. then another and another and there was this HUGE 2 story barn that was collapsing 75 ft. off the road. It was an abandoned lot with the house gone but the old barn was there covered in vines almost. I watched the whole thing collapse all to the ground in about 25 seconds.

What are the odds of 200 years that barn stood and then as I'm walking by, it gives up and collapses. Amazing.

And for you to be walking by that house and hear the main break and see the beginning of their home's front wall slowly sink towards the ground. Amazing.

Another unbelieveable instance: I went to give a neighbor a ride somewhere years ago. I drove 2 doors down, got my neighbor, and we started to go where-ever it was. But 2 doors down from her, a girl had sat on her front steps and smoked a cigarette minutes before we passed.

She put the cigarette out, she thought , and went back into the house. My ALLERT neighbor saw fire burning on the bottom of the corner board beside the front steps. We stoppped and backed up and ran to tell them their house was on fire. They called the fire dept. and we went scrambling for a hose or a bucket or something. We got a hose and sprayed it down, and the fire dept, which was only 5 blocks from here arrived in minutes. They took over. They peeled back the corner board and some lap siding and sure enough, there were still flames on the inside. WOW. They quickly put it all out.

Timing is something special sometimes in our lives!
  • verb
    Now I’m getting anxiety!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Tony M
    Yea, thinking about structural damage does that to us, doesn't it? :#

I got to thinking about my water main connection that I fixed once. my wife heard a hissing outside. Thank God it hadn't been leaking long.

And I also have an old water heater... :#
  • Kingrat
    Timing is everything. I've seen all kinds of crazy stuff, being up all night most of my life. If I ruled the world, dawn would be bedtime. Just the animals I've literally run into over the years is kind of amazing. I lived before, and do now, places with forest really close by, making my old backyard and my apartment complex a natural pathway for deer, coyotes, cranes, a pack of seagulls in back of the building I worked at and about everything else that lives in NW Ohio, including a very large rooster that had the most amazing brown black and white color scheme that allowed him to disappear into the brush as soon as he stopped moving. He was gone the next morning, never to return. One of the scariest things I saw was a neighbor we called, "The Zombie Woman" as she always wore sunglasses and walked like one of the zombies from "Night of the Living Dead". About 2am, Gus and I were walking by and saw her naked in her living room. A zombie wouldn't have been as scary. I've seen some stuff I bet would get me banned if I posted about them here. A couple of things were truly horrifying, I can't ever unsee them!
  • Tony M
    edited May 2018
    Yea, night time does bring out the wildlife. I live right in the heart of Wilm. NC.. Right in middle of a BUSY City! I've been awake a lot of nights and have looked out to see what's roaming every night. Raccoon families, Possum families and even a Red Fox one night. That was cool! ;) No deer though. We still have wild rabbits. One ran across the road, one house down from me when I was talking to my neighbor around 5:00PM on Sat.. He spotted it and I turned and saw it also. I get them in this fiels behind my yard that I keep mowed for the past 28 years. It's really nice!

There's cats that run loose around here so that rabbit and any others are in a danger zone for sure! These cats aren't feral, just neighbors that let their spayed or neutered cats out alot.

One racoon family one year, around 9:00PM or so,( in the dark) would come up to our back porch glass and put their little hands up to the glass and do high fives with my wife and step-daughter. They wanted more Ritz crackers.LOL.

We had previously thrown out old Ritz crackers to them in this area if we saw them. My wife quickly got scared after about a week that they were becoming too friendly , so we stopped tossing Ritz crackers out to them and they left for good. But it was cool. :D

It's been told; go to a walmart at night and see the humanity (?) that live among us that most of us never see. :o
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Dude, I was just there like a few weeks ago. We should have hooked up at Fat Tony's downtown. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,525
    edited May 2018
    tonyb wrote: »
    We should have hooked up at Fat Tony's downtown. :)

There are SOO MANY comments running through my head......
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,548
    edited May 2018
    Like fat Tony's Little Weiner Emporium?
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,677
    You think you have water issues???

Skip to 04:30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DlN4Sh06po
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    verb wrote: »
    Now I’m getting anxiety!

oxchx6k91y47.jpg
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Like fat Tony's Little Weiner Emporium?

Hey now :) Fat Tonys is a cool little bar amongst about 30 or so other bars in the downtown strip. There seemed to be an abundance of eateries with the name Tony in there somewhere.

I may have stumbled upon an area of witness protection refugees. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • verb
    Now I’m getting anxiety!

oxchx6k91y47.jpg

Yeah that's all I need. An anxiety badger! Uh, no! Don't give the Mrs. any ideas! :smile:
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,020
    I'd offer up Anxious Box -- but he's been sent off to a far, far better place.

29cabuvdfa54.jpg
  • Kingrat
    Yea, night time does bring out the wildlife. I live right in the heart of Wilm. NC.. Right in middle of a BUSY City! I've been awake a lot of nights and have looked out to see what's roaming every night. Raccoon families, Possum families and even a Red Fox one night. That was cool! ;) No deer though. We still have wild rabbits. One ran across the road, one house down from me when I was talking to my neighbor around 5:00PM on Sat.. He spotted it and I turned and saw it also. I get them in this fiels behind my yard that I keep mowed for the past 28 years. It's really nice!

There's cats that run loose around here so that rabbit and any others are in a danger zone for sure! These cats aren't feral, just neighbors that let their spayed or neutered cats out alot.

One racoon family one year, around 9:00PM or so,( in the dark) would come up to our back porch glass and put their little hands up to the glass and do high fives with my wife and step-daughter. They wanted more Ritz crackers.LOL.

We had previously thrown out old Ritz crackers to them in this area if we saw them. My wife quickly got scared after about a week that they were becoming too friendly , so we stopped tossing Ritz crackers out to them and they left for good. But it was cool. :D

It's been told; go to a walmart at night and see the humanity (?) that live among us that most of us never see. :o

We have everything you have, plus the deer, thousands of rabbits(not exaggerating), and hundreds of skunks, and squirrels, lots of those. The area I recently moved out of is locally famous for it's insane number of skunks. We have lots of feral cats that like to hang out with skunks. About 20 years ago, my mother began feeding feral cats whose numbers went from 2 or 3 to about 20 very quickly. She had a lot of physical issues that made walking pretty difficult. One evening, she went out on the porch to feed her pack, opened the window, and along with the "other" cats that instantly appeared was one that didn't quite fit in. I was looking out the window of my bedroom, and saw the skunk, and was about to warn her when she realized what it was. I hadn't seen her move that fast in many years.

I put up a game camera soon after they got cheap and was amazed at the number and variety of animals that passed through my yard every night. My dog King was pretty much uninterested in hunting the animals that came into the yard, with two exceptions, he would hunt moles and mice, and loved to snack on the Cicadas that climbed up on the trees to pop out of their shells and dry their wings before flying away. He probably ate thousands of them. His larger prey kill count consisted of one skunk. His littermate, Molly was a nervous wreck of a dog inside the house, living with a super dominant dog like King probably didn't help. But outside, she was the boss, and a killing machine. Possums, groundhogs, a rat, lots of skunks, a beaver (not a scratch on her), and one epic showdown with a big raccoon showed her to have some impressive skills. She was stopped before she killed it, but her attack on it was impressive to watch. One of her tactics was picking it up and throwing it into a tree. I thought, "Wow, lucky move", and then she did it again. When it was clear that she was about to finish the coon off, the next door neighbor's son grabbed her tail, allowing me to get her and drag her into the house. At her peak, about the time she killed the beaver, which was kind of rough to watch and hear, she could kill a possum in about 15 seconds, ripping it's throat out. I never had even seen a beaver within about 12 miles of my house before I went out in the yard to see what was going on. It was pretty thick with shrubs in the back and I could hear her snarling, and I could tell it was "Molly is killing something again!". She had the beaver, which I would guess was about 35 pounds or so, pinned on it's back, and she was finishing it off. I tossed the corpse over the fence on the river side of my yard, and something drug it off, as usual for one of Molly's many victims. A couple of times a year, her killing would get her into trouble, as she would get some confidence during the kill and deciding to challenge King for boss. It always went very badly for her as King was perfectly named and if anything angered him, it was being challenged as boss dog. He was ALWAYS boss dog. King and Molly as 6 month old pups:
    gmewargx4w20.jpg
  • Tony M
    edited May 2018
    My neighbor loves that breed. He's owned 2 or 3 in the 30 years I've known him

That was FUN to read! Amazing killer skills for sure. Those wild critters have some TEETH and CLAWS that are vicious. Especially the possums! Raccoons are equipped with some fangs and claws too. Man, a beaver, WOW.. that beaver must've been bigger than Molly. LOL.

Is that breed known for their hunting and killing skills?

I've thought about buying a trail cam in the past but it's slipped my mind for 10 years. I think I'll try to get one asap.

Thousands of rabbits huh? They're a bit more proficient than cats aren't they.

We had a cat once that got pregnant one time. We had 13 cats and kittens. The momma had babies and then the babies had babies. We got her fixed after her first litter but we weren't expecting one of her daughters to get pregnant sooo fast! Those were some crazy days. They would bring dead mice to our back steps all the time. :D
  • Kingrat
    My neighbor loves that breed. He's owned 2 or 3 in the 30 years I've known him

That was FUN to read! Amazing killer skills for sure. Those wild critters have some TEETH and CLAWS that are vicious. Especially the possums! Raccoons are equipped with some fangs and claws too. Man, a beaver, WOW.. that beaver must've been bigger than Molly. LOL.

Is that breed known for their hunting and killing skills?

I've thought about buying a trail cam in the past but it's slipped my mind for 10 years. I think I'll try to get one asap.

Thousands of rabbits huh? They're a bit more proficient than cats aren't they.

We had a cat once that got pregnant one time. We had 13 cats and kittens. The momma had babies and then the babies had babies. We got her fixed after her first litter but we weren't expecting one of her daughters to get pregnant sooo fast! Those were some crazy days. They would bring dead mice to our back steps all the time. :D

They weren't any breed just 55 pound mutts. Mom was a Lab/Doberman mix and dad was probably the Husky mix next door. You probably thought they were Border Collies, a lot of people did.
    Here is a pic of King, Molly and some of their 11 siblings:
    jfemg979qann.jpg

They met up with at least 10 of them over the years. Some looked like King and Molly, some looked very Husky like, and the one in the pic above looked very German Shepherd like. They were a lot different temperment than BC's usually are. Molly was kind of obsessed with the back yard critter control, but King slept so much as a pup we thought there had to be something wrong with him. When he wasn't sleeping, he was pretty much a wall bouncing lunatic. King did have one thing he was obsessed with, killing mice inside the house, and eating them. We lived near several old buildings that were full of mice and other animals that were torn down over some period of years. and with each one, a flood of mice would hit the neighborhood, and King got going. If I saw a mouse or any "evidence" of one, I would just say, "King! Mouse!", and he would go into search and kill mode. He would crash into closet doors if he thought a mouse was inside, and he was almost always right. He wouldn't sleep, and he really liked his sleep, until the mice were gone. Molly didn't give a crap about the mice, that was King's job and he took it very seriously.. We would hear him crashing into closets in the middle of the night to score a mouse. Once in a while, he would bring me a still living, but close to dead from shock mouse and spit it out into my hand. I would usually yell and drop it. It would be gone down his throat a second later. Somehow, we had him checked for worms, etc, annually because of his mouse eating, and he never had them.

Just for grins last year, I counted how many squirrels I saw coming home from work in the morning, and how many rabbits I saw at night going to work. Road kills counted. The average over 5 days was 137 squirrels, and 42 rabbits per day. One day I saw over 200 squirrels on a 20 minute drive with 50 of them being in one park along the way. Obviously, there were a lot more rabbits I never saw due to it being dark. I didn't divide the black and red/gray squirrels. I never saw a black squirrel until last year around here. Suddenly I started seeing them all over.

One of the things that surprised us when I had the trail cam up was how many packs of dogs went through the area. Since I walked King (Molly was NOT pleasant to walk at all) all over the area, I thought it was odd that I never saw any of those dogs on our walks.
  • Tony M
    Cool read again.

Cool dogs! Cute pups!

I want a trail cam bad now. ;)

I had a Doberman/shepherd mix for about 6 months or less. His name was Prince. Smart as can be!

We could ask him "who's at the door?" and he would bolt to the glass front door and use his nose to push aside the curtain and sit down and look around for a minute or two for somebody and then turn and come sit back down beside me or my girl friend.

A pack of dogs roamed our street for abour a week and then they disappeared. Prince somehow disappeared with them, or somebody snatched him. We used to throw popcorn at him and he would catch most of them. We trained him with popcorn. :D

He was my one and only dog. ;):'(
  • Kingrat
    I miss having dogs, but due to my injuries 10 years ago and bad back, I can't walk them, so I have cats now. They are great, but not the same. I have a couple of friends with a lot of dogs, so I can get my dog fix taken care of when I feel like it. One friend has 4 dogs, one of them is the dog I was thinking about taking before I decided it wouldn't be fair was Jake, a Pit Mix. It's actually the smallest of the four dogs, the largest being an almost 200 pound Boerbel and Lab? mix that they found near death along a road. $4000 plus later, he came home as a 7 week old pup who is now almost two. He loves me big time, but a lot of people are scared of him, as he stares at people, especially ones he doesn't know, and demands, with a swipe of his foot and a "Uhhh!" his chin rubbed. King was the same way, he would growl at you if you stopped the chin rubbing too soon. It scared some people, but it was just a way of letting you know you weren't allowed to stop yet. If you didn't start rubbing his chin again, he would then stare at you and woodpecker you in the chest while growling. If that didn't work, he would leave in a huff, and sit on the couch or chair and sigh, while looking at you in disgust. Not disgusted here, just relaxing in mom's chair.
    n554raa1kw8a.jpg
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Hydro cement will seal the hole, it's used in swimming pools
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • verb
    So it's been nearly a year since this drama, all is well.

But today after work, went downstairs, came back up and proclaimed to the Mrs that the basement had started leaking again. The look on her face, only to turn to a smile, as I said:

April Fool's ! :smile:
    3l06bmybbxf3.png

And then she proceeded to give me a medium velocity slap on the cheek! :smile:
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    she proceeded to give me a medium velocity slap on the cheek! :smile:

Butt cheek?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • verb
    audioluvr wrote: »
    she proceeded to give me a medium velocity slap on the cheek! :smile:

Butt cheek?

I wish! Just left a minor mark, I may say! :smile: