Bottlehead SEX - a saga

2»

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    My SEX arrived today! Woohoo! :smile:

New iron up top:
    n6n8uml1nurk.jpg
    I was surprised to find some abrasion damage to the box at the leading edge. However the box has other issues (crack) so I plan to put this guy in a new box anyway!
    The backside:
    4ydnut61lmwz.jpg

It's downstairs in my workshop right now. I plan to fire it up this weekend! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Don't use the word fire
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • verb
    Exactly! Images of that Monoprice POS burning, ahem, in my mind! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    The S*E*X amp is a very small, modest piece of electronics; it would only be capable of a little fire.

;)
  • verb
    edited December 2018
    So I finally hooked this baby up in the spare room upstairs. Playing right now, letting a little time for the new parts to settle in. More impressions to come.

I can say, for a meager 2.0 watts, this thing sounds pretty good! Paired with the Klipsch’s. And the Njoe Tjoeb 99 CD player.

Flea power rules! :smile:

p15nptmysce4.jpeg
    2ds6t6zw92lv.jpeg

Post edited by verb on
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    See if you can find a pair of Klipsch KG 4's. They usually run cheap, crossover upgrades are cheap and sound great!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    verb wrote: »
    I can say, for a meager 2.0 watts, this thing sounds pretty good! Paired with the Klipsch’s. And the Njoe Tjoeb 99 CD player.

What kind of listening levels were you getting with it in terms of db?

I've been interested in trying a low powered tube amp with my 703s, as I tend to only listen from 60-75db most of the time. I realize the 703s are "only" 88db efficient, but I think it would work for me.
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Very nice. Flea power tube amp is next on my list of "got to try" items. Working on a pair of high sensitivity speakers. Next is an amp.
  • [quote="Clipdat;c-2464858"

I've been interested in trying a low powered tube amp with my 703s, as I tend to only listen from 60-75db most of the time. I realize the 703s are "only" 88db efficient, but I think it would work for me.
    [/quote]

I would discourage you from trying that! I have a pair of single full range driver speakers I built using Fostex F120A drivers (sens=89dB). These drivers sound seriously deficient when driven by SS amps, but are heavenly when driven by just about any tube amp. However, my little 2.5 wpc single ended tube amp can only drive them to about 70 dB satisfactorily, and then only if the music has very little bass. I use a Dynakitparts.com ST-35 (17.5 wpc, push-pull) with excellent results.

I would also have a look at the impedance and phase plots to be sure that the 703 are tube friendly--or perhaps someone around here knows already.

Cheers, Jim
    A day without music is like a day without food.
  • verb
    Clipdat wrote: »

I didn’t get past 80db for now. Didn’t want to crank it yet either. But the volume knob was already at the 2 o’clock position!
  • verb
    The Klipch's are very efficient (95db).
    p8yy6gud5ojy.png
    I still have the Polk TSi200's (89db efficient) upstairs, it'll be interesting to do a direct A/B comparison. Forthcoming!
  • Clipdat
    Yes, very curious to hear about how the TSi200s perform.
  • mhardy6647
    Christmastime is S*E*X time :)
    Glad to see you've got it on line.

The loudspeakers are - not inappropriate for such an amplifier.
    but... for best results... something like this is where you wanna be.

kta5gcssqhrl.png

(borrowed image -- not mine, unfortunately)

PS You gonna hook your cassette deck to that thing? ;)
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2018

I didn’t get past 80db for now. Didn’t want to crank it yet either. But the volume knob was already at the 2 o’clock position!

Remember that a volume control is an attenuator -- all the way up is zero attenuation (perhaps a little gain, depending on the preamp). If the amp is asked to deliver more than it can give, yes, it will clip -- but the Gestalt of the clipping is very different than the brick wall clipping in a soiled state amplifier. Power output tubes basically go progressively (and more or less smoothly) nonlinear as their capabilities are exceeded. In practice, vacuum tube amplifiers act as crude compressors as they reach nonlinearity (and higher levels of THD). At some point, there is audible evidence of it -- usually (IME) in the
    form of congestion or harshness. Also, since the amp is single-ended, the spectrum of harmonic distortion products will most likely be dominated by "euphonic", low(er)-order, even-order distortion products (e.g., second harmonic, which is exactly one octave above the fundamental). Push-pull amplifiers* cancel out (by design) even order distortion products, leaving only the "amusical" (bad sounding) odd-order products. Even worse ;)soiled state push-pull amplifiers tend to have HD spectra that are biased to higher-order odd harmonics, which psychoacoustically are reputed to be extra offensive. But folks like transistors; go figure?! ;)

Point being: don't sweat, nor fret, too much about how high you need to turn the knob until or unless you start to hear evidence that you've jumped the shark. :|

uy4hnk3achbu.png

* Note this even-order/odd-order business arises totally from amplifier topology (single-ended vs. push pull) and has nothing to do with whether the amplifer uses tubes or transistors -- nor (in the case of push-pull amps) whether the output stage is biased to operate in Class A, Class AB, or even Class B. :p

I get very nonlinear myself when folks on the internet say "people like the sound of tube amps better because [all] tube amps produce high levels of second harmonic distortion." This is just plain ol' not true. :|

• verb
    Good to know Doc! Thanks for assuaging my anxiety! :smile:
  • verb
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Christmastime is S*E*X time :)
    Glad to see you've got it on line.

The loudspeakers are - not inappropriate for such an amplifier.
    but... for best results... something like this is where you wanna be.

kta5gcssqhrl.png

(borrowed image -- not mine, unfortunately)

PS You gonna hook your cassette deck to that thing? ;)

Sounds like a plan! :smile:
  • verb
    edited December 2018
    Yes, very curious to hear about how the TSi200s perform.

So today I had a chance to do just that. Swapped out the Klipsch's with the Polk's. At the same volume setting, as expected, the Polk's were not quite as loud.

Pet Shop Boys, Disco 3 was used as the reference music. Lot's of synthesizers, percussion, and bass notes. West End Girls extended re-mix (track 6) was the focus of this evaluation.

Although the Polk's sounded decent, the bass and somewhat of the mid-bass was a bit lacking (not terrible) as compared to the Klipsch's. Vocals were a bit thin too. There was a discernible difference, even for this newbie's ears.

The highs were comparable, although I gotta give the Klipsch's here the advantage. The Klipsch's had a bit more clarity and extension.

This was a fun experiment, Overall, the Klipsch's are certainly a better pairing with the Bottlehead.

But then, most of you flea power guru's already knew that! :smile:

Am I gonna keep the Polk's hooked up? Nah, they're destined to remain with the Ampino!
    Post edited by verb on
  • Clipdat
    Thanks Dave for sharing your insights.

Sounds like you're having a great holiday break so far, now go SPIKE THAT RACK!
  • verb
    So ever since I've been deep in the tube rabbit hole, and realizing that my SEX 2.1 had some later version coin base Sylvania's in it, I found this sextet of GE tubes for a crazy cheap price!

A Sextet for the Bottlehead SEX. :) 2 sets of spares, of course! And the Sylvania's too. All to be verified once my new TV7 gets delivered.
    5jfcmn0e1leh.png