Acoustic Technologies Classic Series FR speakers

verb
verb Posts: 10,176
For you SET low power guys out there, any experience/thoughts about these?

Was considering them for my Bottlehead SEX2.1 amp in the office.

6s7552m84czx.png

http://www.acoustictechnologiesllc.com/Our_Products.html
Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited April 2018
    Kinda high priced IMHO
    Unless you're buying used

You're a handyman, a madisound fostex kit would suit you right
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • verb
    Yep agreed. Got an eye on a NIB box set for about 6 hundie.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • txcoastal1
    Zu's too

https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=zu

Not sure what going on with Bob Brines website but he has nice stuff too.

He's a regular at LSAF.

Omega pretty good too
    https://omegaloudspeakers.com/collections/monitor-speakers

We rocked Voltz's Omega system till wiii'hours :D:D:D

Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• verb
    Thanks! I was looking at the Zu's and Omega's!

The Madisound kits look like a very easy build. The cabinets are pre-machined. @voltz built a kit recently I believe.
  • txcoastal1
    Not recently but a few years ago. Wardsweb has built a similar kit too. I've heard it :)

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Common @verb, DIY it! Go point source and have a ball.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I've been looking at Zu's and Omega's myself lately. The Tekton is also a fairly efficient speaker.
  • verb
    FestYboy wrote: »

Too many projects my man! I’d love to build a set!
  • verb
  • verb
  • verb
    edited April 2018

So I pulled the trigger on these little beauties. Placed em on both sides of the desk, about 12" from the facing wall, 5' apart, aimed straight back. At 43" tall, they are the perfect listening height for me. No stands required!

I'm pushing em with a Marantz AMP-1 integrated.

What I learned:
    Acoustic Technologies Classic-Series loudspeaker. They are full range single driver speaker which uses a 3” titanium driver (no crossover). The cabinet is transmission type design with large port at rear bottom of speaker. Internal wiring is solid silver with gold plated Cardas binding posts.

Never had a pair of FR speakers before, but got jazzed a bit after following @mhardy6647 threads and others here. Seemed a perfect matchup for a nearfield rig.

Been burning em in for a couple of days now, but right out of the box I am impressed. I expected the soundstage to be extended, and these delivered in that respect considerably. Fore/Aft and Up/Down as well! These little guys easily became invisible as the musicality of Rush's Moving Pictures consumed me.

Another thing I noticed is that the sweet spot was wide. Moving around left/right at my desk did not really diminish much of the soundstage. To further that, I walked around in my office (14' by 14'), sat in another chair on the opposite wall, with similar results.

The best fore/aft listening position in my chair was about 16" back away from my desk. My plan is to move the desk further away from the wall to compensate.

And now the speakers themselves. These little tiny 3" titanium dome tweeters FR speakers sound great! Yeah the bass does not dig down as deep, but for what they are, bass was very tight. I was surprised how much bass was there! The mid/highs were coherent and detailed. Again yes the highs did not extend as far, but what was there was clean and certainly not harsh.

My thoughts: For an everyday non-critical listening position setup, or nearfield, these babies are keepers! In an office environment where moderate listening levels are mandated, ahem, WAF in play here, these babies are keepers!

I'm going to play a bit with speaker/desk locations to dial these in even further, continue burning and monitor the bass output, but that's part of the fun! :smile:

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,020
    So -- FWIW -- last week I visited the digs of a Northern New England vacuum tube hifi guru (who actually does this stuff for a living, albeit mostly in the DSP/soiled state domain).

He and his wife recently sold their home and have temporarily downsized to a nice apt while plotting the next phase of their lives. His big boy hifi stuff (virtually all DIY) is packed up for the time being, and he's using an SE 2A3 amplifier that (of course) he designed and built.

For loudspeakers, he's got a pair of the Mark Audio FRs (don't ask me which ones... tho' I could find out if anyone's interested) in mass loaded transmission line enclosures. I've heard of, and read about, the drivers, but it was the first time I'd actually heard a pair.

They were dandy.

Now, mind you, we were listening to "classical" (serious) music, at pretty low level, but the balance, richness, tone and timbre were all quite right.

Seemed worth mentioning in the context of this thread. Apologies if it's too off-base!

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/markaudio/
  • verb
    Actually not! I am enthralled by the whole FR speaker thing! Amazing how one speaker and a tuned cabinet design can produce such output!

Yeah these guys aren't gonna shake the house, that's what the basement rig is for!

I got a smokin deal on em too, which tipped me over towards them! :smile:

• FestYboy
    TL enclosures are the shiznit. I've been a fan of 6" and 8" wizzer imbued FR speakers for their impressive range. Most I've heard have been in an IB or semi-IB, or mass loaded enclosure, no TLs. Maybe it's time to experiment?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,020
    TL enclosures are the shiznit. I've been a fan of 6" and 8" wizzer imbued FR speakers for their impressive range. Most I've heard have been in an IB or semi-IB, or mass loaded enclosure, no TLs. Maybe it's time to experiment?

maybe

TL bass is of good quality and (generally) quantity.
  • verb

Professor @festyboy - student asking a question here. What is an IB?
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    IB = Infinite Baffle....
    Can ya dig it?
  • verb
    lightman1 wrote: »
    IB = Infinite Baffle....
    Can ya dig it?

Got it! Another professor among us! Thanks @lightman1 :smile:
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Anytime......

....when I'm sober....
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,677
    verb wrote: »
    What is an IB?

I'm surprised you didn't know this, Dave, considering you are Infinitely Baffled. :p
  • verb
    Viking64 wrote: »
    verb wrote: »
    What is an IB?

I'm surprised you didn't know this, Dave, considering you are Infinitely Baffled. :p

Oh personality trait! That makes sense now! Wait, I'm baffled. :confounded:
  • FestYboy
    edited April 2018
    Speaking of bass, it could have been irritable bowel in another context, you know, for those brown notes.
  • verb
    Could have been irritable bowel in another context

LOL! Uh, oh, run to the can! :smiley:
  • FestYboy
    Damn you're quick @verb!!!
  • verb
    Gotta move quick when a can is near! :smile:
  • FestYboy
    Running to the can and catching a post mid edit! Now that's multi tasking ;)
  • verb
    So I moved the PSWi225 wireless from the living room to the office. After Jesse's new sub was delivered and installed in the living room. BTW the Mrs. finally noticed the sub was "bigger" than the previous one. Not busted though! I've got so many speakers and subs downstairs in the basement, spares ya know! :smile:

This little sub really complements the AR speakers! Gives it just what it needed to cover the low frequencies. The settings are just right, well blended not overpowering.

For my nearfield setup, I really love it!

I've got Howard Jones playing right now at a level more elevated than normal, bass sounds great. WAF ya know! :smile: