Lowering noise floor, what has worked for you?

2»

Comments

• leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Hey Ken if your still around, I got what your saying w/ the jumpers but what about just female port covers. Do they do anything besides I guess preventing tarnish on the sleeves? I have an Onkyo P-3150v and taken up so far are the phono in,CD, tuner in and the outputs to my Adcom 555. All video ports and whatever is left is open and exposed......Lew
    Oh, the only hum, hiss I ever had was from the rca cable run from computer to AVR picking up I-Net radio into tuner in. That was resolved w/ a ground hum isolator through Amazon for $15 or so.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    I've seen those covers and I guess they can keep dust out of the inside of the RCA sockets, but they probably won't help with noise very much. There are selector switches that short any input not selected, so if I'm listening to phono every other input is connected to ground. But, in days of yore when people did a lot of tape recording you could record off of the radio and still listen to a record none of the inputs were shorted.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Oh, the only hum, hiss I ever had was from the rca cable run from computer to AVR picking up I-Net radio into tuner in. That was resolved w/ a ground hum isolator through Amazon for $15 or so.

LEW, your describing obvious audio noise. What we are talking about is the noise that isn't obvious, least not until it's gone.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    edited May 2018
    Ken made some really nice grounding plugs for me. It seems that they boosted the gain but my mind may be playing tricks on me as it so often does. I will be conducting thorough testing after work today and will report my findings. That is if I survive the testing. I suffer from claustrophobia and every time that I climb behind my rack I just about suffer a coronary.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    If your mind keeps playing tricks on you; how do you expect to pass a test?
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I don't know about the other guys but I use doe urine.