Finally getting new sound room set up

2»

Comments

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    qjbwof608vbk.jpg
    Okay I have to ask, what's keeping that glass on the table from falling over?

• monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    Very nice set up.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Very nice Ken, nice comfortable area. And lots of toys on display :smiley:
    Hermitism wrote: »
    qjbwof608vbk.jpg
    Okay I have to ask, what's keeping that glass on the table from falling over?

I am also curious.
  • Hermitism
    edited May 2018
    I bet that there is a hole in the glass and the ornamental piece on top the glass threads to the base. If so, I've never seen such a thing, but like it.

Or the ornamental piece is made of osmium.
  • krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    Impressive to say the least. Enjoy.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Hermitism wrote: »
    I bet that there is a hole in the glass and the ornamental piece on top the glass threads to the base. If so, I've never seen such a thing, but like it.

Or the ornamental piece is made of osmium.

The base is split so the entire thing isn’t under the glass. There is a sliver of it above the glass that it’s hard to see.

I bet your right but it’s the top piece that’s got the thread that goes through and connects to secure it.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Hermitism
    Upon closer inspection, I believe you're right. I dig that, and the whole room.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Absolutely gorgeous room. Stunning. Love all the vinyl!
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    Most excellent... enjoy!
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    Gorgeous space! I appreciate the extreme amount of work it took to put it all together. Enjoy the music, Ken!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited May 2018
    Thanks, everyone I appreciate all the kind remarks. Yes, the table has a removable top that holds the glass in place. In fact it's so heavy that that's the only way to move it. There are matching end tables to the left and right of the couch. The tallest record cabinets we brought from our old place and painted to match the new room's decor. One of them was a DIY project my wife and I tackled the other one a friend made. The remaining record cabinets are based on Ikea furniture that we added feet and masonite backs. The audio rack is a DIY project that uses an aluminum frame made by a company that makes industrial and scientific apparatus. There are four gussets at each shelf corner, I glued Tip Toes spikes on each gusset. The shelves are made from carbon fiber skins over foam core, lightweight but very strong. Each shelf is supported by the four Tip Toes at the corner only. I bonded steel braces to the underside of the top shelf and added sound deadening material underneath. Three of the cross braces have lighting strips added, these were not turned on for the photos.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Very nice Ken, enjoy it. Who would have thought you were such an analog guy. :)

Didn't know either you were sitting on CLS's....nice speakers.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    Ken,

Looks like a nice place to spend time listening to music. My next house has to have a dedicated music room.

Enjoy

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Somebody is making too much money.

Great space.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited May 2018
    Awesome setup, Ken. I know you're a big vintage audio guy, do you ever listen to 8-tracks or have any interest in them?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    That’s a gorgeous space you have there Ken! Superb!!!

Happy listening!!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • [Deleted User]
    I'm afraid I don't have any ability to play 8-tracks. For some reason there are always lots of sealed 8-tracks being offered on eBay that are interesting. The Akai models have a good reputation, also Wollensak 8050 was good.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    I had a friend that had an Akai 8 track. It was excellent in its day.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    I have always enjoyed model trains. I am into N scale these days. What scale are you modeling?
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    edited May 2018
    machone wrote: »
    I have always enjoyed model trains. I am into N scale these days. What scale are you modeling?

King of all scales of course, O Scale :)

r9tlk7nr2vz2.jpeg
    dthgcvnbfky3.jpeg
    66nm98xdw0xk.jpeg

Ignore the stereo, behind them are shelves of some O Scale diesels.
    744cetzzfxf5.jpeg
    rddu68aw7775.jpeg
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • OldSchoolPolk
    OldSchoolPolk Posts: 159
    Love the UP1989!
    HT: Marantz NR-1603, Oppo 981, Def Tech SM55, SVS PB-1000
    BR: iPad Mini, Audio Engine A5+
    2C: Parasound ZDAC V.2, Sony DA80ES, Sony XDR-F1HD, SVS Prime Tower, JSE .6 Infinite Slope
    Office: MBAir, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, JBL LSR-308
    Projects: Polk RTA12, Polk Monitor 7, Revox B225CD, BIC 3-TM
  • [Deleted User]
    Definitely like all the model train photos, feel free to keep them coming. I model the Erie Lackawanna railroad in n-scale. Moving the layout was the hardest thing we moved, a real nail chewer. Things got a little nicked up but it survived.