Putting ads on CL

Dabutcher
Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
So I have an ad on CL for my Infinity speakers and I keep getting called a Numbskull by this guy? He is upset I add other audio names to my ad to get more attention. Seems like a lot of people do it. What is the harm? Peace. Dfvu1cn8vodqz.png
MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I don't know for sure why this individual has an issue with that, but you are one of the few that know the difference between "ad" and "add", so I certainly wouldn't classify you as a "numbskull". :p Peace in return.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Does this skew search results? I've seen this before, too, and maybe it's a bit misleading, but wow, this guy seems to have a lot of time on his hands. And maybe some control issues.

I'm on the edge of my seat for what happens if you fail to cease your numbskullery. A final final message, this time with more caps?
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    msg wrote: »
    Does this skew search results? I've seen this before, too, and maybe it's a bit misleading, but wow, this guy seems to have a lot of time on his hands. And maybe some control issues.

I'm on the edge of my seat for what happens if you fail to cease your numbskullery. A final final message, this time with more caps?

OK, now I am curious as to how numbskullery squares up with skulduggery.

:)

I am not a fan of "keyword spamming", FWIW -- doesn't it irritate you when you see it on eBAY? I mean, I wouldn't be assessing the degree of sensory acuity of anyone's calvaria, but, in the context of eBAY, they always strike me as kind of a desperate gesture.

I don't much "do" CL, so I don't really have much of an opinion in the context of CL, though.
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,180
    I have email alerts for certain items and have to constantly delete them because of all the keywords attached to things I’m really interested in. :s
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    msg wrote: »

OK, now I am curious as to how numbskullery squares up with skulduggery.

:)

I am not a fan of "keyword spamming", FWIW -- doesn't it irritate you when you see it on eBAY? I mean, I wouldn't be assessing the degree of sensory acuity of anyone's calvaria, but, in the context of eBAY, they always strike me as kind of a desperate gesture.

I don't much "do" CL, so I don't really have much of an opinion in the context of CL, though.

Ebay actually has a policy preventing people from doing this, but of course some folks still get away with it.

I agree that this dude has way too much time on his hands and it is NOT worth getting this worked up over. But I also agree that keyword spamming is annoying and I myself don’t employ the tactic.

I would, however, be interested in whether it ever works. I mean is someone looking for polks going to find your ad and decide they want infinitys instead?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    I'd agree that I personally don't like it when sellers add "Tags" to the ads. But it certainly does not bother me to the point of numbskullery!

There's a local audio store that sells used equipment and gear on consignment as a side gig on CL. They tag EVERY brand they sell. So, for instance, if I search Polk, I may get 20-30 ads of theirs that are not at all Polk.

What I can't figure out though, is I've seen very simple ads that turn up in search results even though I can't find the 'keyword' I've searched anywhere in their ad. I don't know if they hide them, put them in white font, or what. But, sometimes the word absolutely isn't there.
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,180
    I’m sure it works on some people. I don’t mind them thrown in with gear of similar caliber but not when Marantz is attached to a Kraco stereo. But when you see 25 attached keywords it is annoying.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    And of course on CL you can narrow your search to title words only, which is what I usually do...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    edited May 2018
    Years ago, I was looking for a hardtop for a first generation Miata. I'd do a CL search for "miata" and sometimes something would come up that was similar to a Miata, like a Honda S2000. Someone had a S2000 for sale and added a tag for Miata, Solstice, etc. So if someone was looking for a 2 seater of similar price range and age, their listing would show up. I had no issue with this, in fact I thought it was smart. What I took issue with was a dealership in Cincinnati that put below their description a list of every single car manufacturer and model on the planet, so no matter what car you were looking for, their listing would show up. And they would put up multiple listings under different accounts. Every morning that salesman would relist the same ads, I made it my own personal mission to report them. You can click "prohibited" on a listing, but it takes multiple reports, or multiple people reporting it before they get removed. I hope that salesman is homeless today. Or at least has to take a bus everywhere he goes.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    I'm with those who say don't do it, but I wouldn't call anyone out for it. To me, it's annoying to get results for items I didn't specifically search. If I'm searching Ford, I sure as heck don't want to see your Chevy! :p
  • Dabutcher
    I changed my ad. Doing it with the Infinity’s has not helped to sell them anyways. Thanks for all the input. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    edited May 2018
    I checked CL daily, and am not a fan of keyword spam that doesn't relate directly to the item for sale.

However, if you are selling Polk Monitor 70's, for instance, and describe them as speakers in the title, there's nothing wrong with adding towers, floorstanding, floor standing, etc., at the bottom of the text.

But yeah, his reaction was way over the top.
  • Dabutcher
    I was searching local for Polk and some desk comes up. I wonder if this CL police patrol contacted him 97db5viwm7jk.png
    about his alleged spam? Peace. D
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    I bet that's my guy! Lets get him! I wonder what his logic was for choosing those words.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    I do it all the time and have no problem when others do. I actually find more fun stuff when folks use them.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    I'm with those who say don't do it, but I wouldn't call anyone out for it. To me, it's annoying to get results for items I didn't specifically search. If I'm searching Ford, I sure as heck don't want to see your Chevy! :p

I would see finding a Chevy while searching for a Ford as a sign from above...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson