How fast do you drink

Options
124»

Comments

• CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,546
    Options
    xg919vi82dty.png

While we were in MX last month we picked up a bottle of this for our neighbor. Have yet to hear how she liked it.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,000
    Options
    stones89 wrote: »
    jdjohn wrote: »
    A lot of people like Hornitos and its, sort of, Juicy Fruit gum flavor profile :) FYI, the Hornitos Black is not 'black' from barrel aging. They add food coloring and caramel flavoring to get it that way :/

Hornitos, and really all Sauza products, use a non-traditional, industrial-type process to make their tequila. I am personally more of a purist, but I have to pay more to get it!

The MOST IMPORTANT thing to look for when buying tequila are the words "100% Agave" on the bottle. If you don't see 100%, that means it's a "mixto", so only 51% agave distillate, and the rest probably from sugar distillate. This will give you a nasty hangover. The poster child for mixtos is Jose Cuervo Gold or Silver.
    Your wrong about Hornitos. It is 100% blue agave and actually black gets its color from aging in used bourbon barrels. Also fyi, Sauza gold and blanco are 100% blue agave even though not advertised. The reason, the agave plant is quite abundant now. There are more 100% blue agave tequilas than ever now. Where in the world did you get your misinformation about Sauza?
    I didn't say Hornitos or Sauza products are mixtos...they aren't. I said JC was. I did mention that Sauza uses a non-traditional method to make their tequila. Sauza, along with a few other large producers (like Cuervo) use what's called a diffusor. A diffusor by-passes the oven cooking process, and uses high-pressure water and acid, yes acid, to cheaply extract all the sugars they can from the shredded raw agave pinas without cooking them first. The proper way to make tequila is to cook the pinas in a huge brick oven, and then crush the cooked pinas with either a huge mill stone, or with a mill shredder before fermentation.

Speaking of information, I think you should research the current agave SHORTAGE (not abundance) right now. It is a cyclical problem since agave takes 8-10 years to mature, and farmers in Mexico flip back-and-forth between agave and other crops such as corn, depending on price. Just Google "tequila agave shortage", and several articles from just a few months ago pop up.

Incidentally, it is the usage of diffusors that has contributed to the agave shortage, since they will harvest immature agave plants for this purpose in order to meet tequila demands.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,678
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Usually people fight when they DRINK tequila, not when they write about it. :p
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options

pitdogg, you should just go for REAL mezcal if you're interested. Where are you located?

I have had Mezcal plenty of times.

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    Depends on WHO my company is..... if its @lightman1, you gotta keep up or keep ahead, both of which require significant speed and precision.

I blame the fact he can drink as much as he wants during the day and sweat it out in that bucket truck 50 feet in the air hehehe.... and if he acts drunk, he just says "eh, got a jolt of X wattage on the road today" and they let it slide :smiley:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Patron doesn't taste bad IMO, but for the price it should taste a lot better and have more character. It's not offensive, just rather bland. I have a feeling things will not get any better now after selling to Bacardi.

Older Cabo Wabo (before Sammy sold-out) was pretty good. It has bounced around to several different distilleries, though...I believe the brand is at it's fifth different distillery at this point :open_mouth:

Yes, Santo Mezquila is his latest venture, partnering with Adam Levine. Even though it's touted as 100% agave, I haven't seen any information citing their manufacturing processes.

Well I have not had any since Sammy owned it, it was darn good at that point. I had not realized it had bounced so many times... too bad.

The Mezquila is no where to be found in my area. I have asked for it but I guess all the local distributors are all tied up in court to see who will distribute the darned stuff. This has happened so many times in my area that there have been times that the particular alcohol never makes it at all.
    With a celebrity endorsement (or ownership), things often change once said celebrity cashes-in and sells out. This happened with Vince Neil's tequila as well, Tres Rios. It has not bounced around distilleries as much (only once), but new is NEVER as good as old in practically every situation...including audio brands changing hands :) Speaking of celebrities cashing-in, George Clooney and his partner recently sold Casamigos tequila for like a billion dollars, and that stuff is like cotton candy...in a bad way IMO.

pitdogg, you should just go for REAL mezcal if you're interested. Where are you located?
    Msabot1 wrote: »
    Don Julio...any flavor...small batch stuff...
    Sorry, my friend, but DJ is anything but small batch. They are owned by the huge liquor conglomerate Diageo, and rank eighth in overall tequila production. You mentioned 'flavor', and I agree their juice is artificially flavored...I would guess coconut extract. It does go down easy, though.

Direct from the distillery it is...Their signature brand..stay out of the liquor stores if ya want the real McCoy...
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Don Julio...any flavor...small batch stuff...
    Sorry, my friend, but DJ is anything but small batch. They are owned by the huge liquor conglomerate Diageo, and rank eighth in overall tequila production. You mentioned 'flavor', and I agree their juice is artificially flavored...I would guess coconut extract. It does go down easy, though.

Direct from the distillery it is...Their signature brand..stay out of the liquor stores if ya want the real McCoy...
    Very interesting. I didn't know Don Julio had a 'signature brand' other than 'Don Julio'. Technically, it ALL comes direct from the distillery since, in order to be called tequila, it has to be made and bottled at the "fabrica" according to regulations set forth by the CRT (Consejo Regulador del Tequila).

Could you post a pic of the bottle? I'd love to circulate it among some of my industry friends and get their take on it. Always interested in learning something new about tequila, or agave spirits in general.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Options
    I travel to Atotonilco,Jalisco a couple of times a year and bring back a couple bottles of Tres Magueyes and 1942.. I think you can get 1942 through specialty ordering in the U.S....Never ever seen either of those brands in a liquor store..The bottle is nothing fancy..but kind of reminds me of a shaped charge warhead...Very good stuff,by the way..I do it neat in a snifter....
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • jdjohn
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Ahhh, the highlands region (los Altos). I have a few favorites made just up the road at a distillery outside of Arandas, and another place near Jesus Maria. The master distillers are brothers.

I don't think Tres Magueyes is imported to the US, but 1942 is for sure, and actually pretty readily available. I've gone through a few bottles of the newest version of 1942:
    cmc410yif7xi.jpg
    And I have an open bottle of this older version:
    fzd1jkidos55.jpg
    1942 is one of Don Julio's extra anejos, with their top-of-the-line XA being Don Julio Real, which goes for about $400/bottle. 1942 is more obtainable, and normally a crowd pleaser. I get butterscotch notes from it...clearly a sweeter tequila. My wheelhouse is blancos with the more rustic flavors of earth and minerals, really getting the terroir from the surrounding soil. Lots of variations in different tequila expressions, which is what makes it so interesting to me.

I have a few different types of glassware for sipping neat, including snifters. Riedel actually makes a glass just for tequila: https://www.amazon.com/Riedel-Ouverture-Tequila-Glasses-Set/dp/B000069CEJ They're a little dainty (and top-heavy) for everyday sipping IMO, but some aficionados swear buy them.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    Options
    All this talk about tequila is making me want to buy some.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Willow wrote: »

Asomme toi!!

(I think :# )
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »

Asomme toi!!

You and Tom are on tekillya suspension for 30 days :p
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • lightman1
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Asomme toi!!

I did not partake of said venom.
    Good day to you, Sir!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options

Asomme toi!!

Maybe you should have, could you just imagine the pictures of you and Tom ?

Yea maybe the world is not quite ready for that just yet.....

• lightman1
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »

Asomme toi!!

Good day to you, Sir!

Shut up Russ!

:)

You there! Canerdian swine!
    Hold your tounge!
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »

Asomme toi!!

Good day to you, Sir!

Shut up Russ!

:)

You there! Canerdian swine!
    Hold your tounge!

Mmmm Canadian back bacon.....

Last night it was 28c pool was at the same temp. My Dura beer went down extremely fast.