Leave Conversation in PM?

Options
Hermitism
Hermitism Posts: 4,205
Okay, if I'm writing back and forth with someone via pm and select "Leave Conversation" in order to keep my inbox clean, what if someone replies back to me afterwards? Will I still get their message?

Comments

• Hermitism
    Options
    Hmm. Well I guess no one likes me anymore.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    I still like you! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited May 2018
    Options
    If you left the PM that PM is done. At least I think it is. I just sent you a PM from one you left, so we'll see.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Hermitism
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    If you left the PM that PM is done.
    So if I send you a message, then clean out my inbox and you reply to my message the next day I won't get it? Do you get a message letting you know the message wasn't received? Or does it delete the message I sent you in YOUR inbox also? For the past month, I've been keeping my inbox cleaned out, just like I do by deleting messages in my hotmail.

Well, if I haven't replied to anyone's messages in the last 4 or 5 weeks, I'm not being unsocial, I deleted the conversation so I didn't have to see the messages I wrote people. I dislike this.
  • Hermitism
    Options
    If you left the PM that PM is done. At least I think it is. I just sent you a PM from one you left, so we'll see.
    Nope, I didn't get it. I feel like a fool. I've been deleting messages after sending them so I wouldn't have to see the messages I've sent.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Hermitism wrote: »
    Well, if I haven't replied to anyone's messages in the last 4 or 5 weeks, I'm not being unsocial, I deleted the conversation so I didn't have to see the messages I wrote people. I dislike this.

Welcome to Vanilla.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,606
    edited May 2018
    Options
    ****! I've done the same. I've cleaned up my inbox this way to "close out" of conversations. But I guess if someone replied to a conversation that I've already left, then I wouldn't get the reply? So stupid.

I believe the only visual indicator that someone has left a PM conversation is a small strikethrough line going through their nickname.
  • Hermitism
    Options
    Now I have to think of every person I've sent a message to in the last month and explain that I never received their reply. Then when they tell me they never bothered to reply, I'll feel like even more of a fool.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Hermitism wrote: »
    Nope, I didn't get it. I feel like a fool. I've been deleting messages after sending them so I wouldn't have to see the messages I've sent.

The way it works is only your last 5 PM's appear when you check your PM box. There's really no reason to delete/remove any of them.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    I'm not sure I've gotten more than five :|

9wvcnjvufnk7.png

Rats.
  • Hermitism
    Options
    ↑↑ That's perfect! ↑↑
  • Hermitism
    Options
    On the bright side, I may not be as unpopular as I thought. I was becoming paranoid and started to develop an inferiority complex due to no one replying to my pm's. Or maybe no one wanted to talk to me anymore. We'll see. Now if I can only figure out why no one talks to me in real life.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    I tend to do the same with old conversations Herm. I clicked on all messages once seen there was a ton of them and started leaving them. I would hope in old conversations the other party would see i left but i never thought about if they responded afterwords whether or not I'd get them.
    Oh well such as vanilla life....
  • Hermitism
    Options
    Sometimes if I see someone here is looking for something and later I find it for sale on eBay or CL, I'll send them a pm rather than posting it in a thread, so someone else doesn't see it and buy it before the intended person has a chance to. No one ever thanks me, I thought you people were just rude. I'd send a message and then usually delete it thinking I was just removing it from my inbox.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Options
    So far I only had one private conversation with one person. A month later I deleted it. But now I always have a little red 1 on my mailbox like I just got a new message. Every time I click on it I get a "no new messages" prompt and there is nothing to delete in my Inbox.

I guess I should have left the old message. Any ideas about this?
  • Hermitism
    Options
    You haven't used a ouija board lately, have you?
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,461
    Options
    I wasn't aware of this being a thing, either. You guys conclusively tested this?
    Kinda like when my family moved away, and would call me from a payphone and for not longer than 30 seconds.

Though, I suppose the no response/not-unpopular are necessarily mutually exclusive.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Hermitism
    edited May 2018
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    You guys conclusively tested this?
    Yep, I never received Jesse's reply above. FYI, I deleted all your messages, so don't bother using those to send me a message in the future. I had cleared out all my messages except one from Skip that had suggestions for a 2 channel system. Poor guy, I bet I drive him nuts with questions.

• msg
    edited May 2018
    Options
    No way, just tested this and it really doesn't work! Just goes off into a black hole.
    That really doesn't make sense at all, especially with it not being a known behavior. I don't think I know of any other messaging system that works this way.

Btw, Edit Timer is now in seconds and not minutes? I really needed that extra measure of accuracy for the time left in my edit window.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Hermitism
    Options
    Scott and I just confirmed that I am indeed an idiot.
  • Hermitism
    Options
    Scott and I just confirmed that he is also an idiot.
  • msg
    Options
    Haha, well who would think that any messaging system would work like this? It's counter to the way every other messaging system works, at least that I know of.
    I disabled signatures.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Can you edit or add people to a conversation once it is started? If so they should be able to add you back to the conversation on their side.

They might have to remove your blanked out name first and add it again.

That is, of course, if they want to add you back after you kept ignoring them!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    Yes you can add, be interesting to see if you could add someone who was already in the conversation
  • F1nut
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Yes you can add, be interesting to see if you could add someone who was already in the conversation

Yes, you can add the person that removed themselves back into the PM.

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options

Is that analogous to retro-unfriending?
  • Hermitism
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Is that analogous to retro-unfriending?
    Is that like fake ignore?
  • Hermitism
    Options

Yep, I got your message, whatever you did worked and I can see all the previous messages of that conversation.

Which is great unless the person doesn't see that my name has a line through it and thinks that I'm still receiving their messages. At least I can be added back once they know. High-five!