Health/weight loss advice?

13»

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    My Fitness Pal app worked for me. It made me keep an awareness of everything I was eating, in addition to adding up the calories, and physical activity during the day. Helped me keep focus.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Lots of good advice here. Basically, the idea is eat less, exercise more. Eat good food; vegetables and protein. No junk and/or fast food. Keep the bread/bagels to one or two a week. Hit the gym, lift weights, use the treadmill.

I classify calories as useful (good), and useless (bad). However, at least for me, you need some useless calories to maintain your sanity. Think of them as a reward. For example, I treat myself to beer (useless calories) on Friday/Saturday night. I still eat useful calories those days. Seems to work for me. I will be 69 in a few months, and am 170-175 pounds at 6’3”.

One thing I overlooked is, only drink water. Coffee and tea are okay since they are 99.999% water. No sugar, cream allowed.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    I fast 16 hrs a day, 7hrs sleeping. Drink a bit on the weekends and have a couple splurge/cheat meals a week. I also have been weight training consistently for more than a decade and eat roughly 2000-2500 calories in my 8hr window focusing on protein and fat but I get my carbs too.

I’ll be 37 this year with at least a 40hr work week (desk job), a wife, three kids and another on the way that keep me busy. I lift and do cardio when I can usually about 5 hrs a week.

I am 5’11” and maintain a very lean 185 lbs with a 31” waist. Intermittent Fasting was a game changer for me. I very rarely get a cold or flu and when I do it’s gone in a day or so. My strength is still good for my size still can bench 315lbs 1rm and can get a mile around 6 minutes.

Fasting for me just works and fits my lifestyle. I’d recommend anyone trying it.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    Late to the discussion but I'll add a few things, probably been mentioned.

Working nights for 2 years then back to days, I saw real fast how your body changes.

Long story short, cut the sodas, as well as sugar, excess sodium, and pastries. Scones, muffins, love them in the AM with some coffee, but I changed my diet 2 months ago and the changes were quite noticeable.

Elevated BP runs on one side of my family, I have some of it. Stayed around 120 ish as a kid but going to shift work at my job for 18 months raised it quite a bit. I'm back on days and I went from a morning systolic of around 135 to 117-118, and lost 13 lbs....205 to 192...never felt better, again this was over the course of 2 months.

It was hard, but I completely cut the garbage food. No pastries, cookies, muffins, etc. No pizza, no fast food, no sodas even though they were cut awhile back...more on that.

Get a Vitamix.

In the AM, it's a small portion of 2% yogurt with some blueberries. I make a smoothie with:

Kale, sometimes spinach
    Blueberries, sometimes with strawberries
    Banana
    1 scoop of whey protein
    Apple
    Granola
    Kiwi occasionally
    1 1/2 cup water

Sometimes I will add an avocado pit and some avocado, I'll split the avocado into two portions, the pit can be bitter. That's just my preference, some say its toxic, maybe in huge quantities but there are many recipes using a pit...but again, maybe a few times a month.

I fill my thermos up with the smoothie and consume throughout the day, not all at once...lol.

Around 11 I would get an 8 piece nugget entre from Chick fil a because it was close, no meal, or bring some chicken from home...never fried chicken, only grilled.

Then maybe a chicken salad at lunch.

All day, drink water at a slow pace but dont chug a bottle here and there.

After about 3 days, I realized I could go all day with minimal intake, maybe 1000 calories a day. Stayed well under 1500mg sodium, and very little crap sugar. My energy levels stayed consistent, no crashes. My joints felt noticeably better, more flexibility likely to reduced inflammation.

Back on the sodas.

What cut sodas out for me, but I will cheat sometimes...I'm not a saint. Was realizing how much sugar was in a 12oz can of soda.

Some cans read 40g. Some more, some less, but 40g is average.

I weighed out a packet of sugar on my reloading scale, the ones in the sugar caddy in restaurants. 1 bag of sugar was 2.2 grams. That equates to roughly 16 bags of sugar per 12oz. Lay 16 bags out and wonder how your body processes it.

Now factor in a restaurant with 20oz glasses, albeit some ice but still, generally you get a refill and maybe a togo cup.

One refill will likely total about 40 bags of sugar...FORTY!

I never do energy drinks....I dont think that a monster vitamin B spike is the way to go..jmo....better food, water and sleep.