Klipsch Chorus

Options
My GF' s great aunt has a pair of these she wants to pass on to her. She says they are pretty and big... I told her if she can stuff them in her Jeep to bring them home. Anybody ever get their ears on these?
Gustard X26 Pro DAC
Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus

Comments

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    Options
    I had a pair of Chorus II's many years ago and they didn't make the grade here. They got sold in favor of a pair of Polk 2.3s with the donut drivers. But the fellow I sold them to about 15 years ago still has them and he's still pleased with them. They are fairly good sized speakers 80lbs if memory serves correct and they'll certainly fill up the back of the Jeep if your GF is able to get them in there.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    Options
    I like them better than most of the "Heritage" Klipsch loudspeakers (Heresy, Cornwall, LaScala/Belle), FWIW. They didn't strike me as aggressive in the MR as many Klipsch products -- and I don't remember the piercing low treble (9 kHz) resonance of the Heritage Klipsch MR horns in the Chorus (again, FWIW). It's been a good decade since I heard a pair, though.

Yes, they're hefty.
    Pretty is an interesting word to use to describe them :p

They deserve very high quality amplification for best results.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Thanks all. If they make it home I'll see how they compare to my KG4's that I restored. I really like them
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    Worth picking up any way
  • adam2434
    adam2434 Posts: 995
    Options
    The Chorus is the largest model (15" woofer) in the informally-named "Extended Heritage" series, which also includes the Forte (12" woofer) and Quartet (10" woofer).

The original Chorus is front-ported and the Chorus II has a passive radiator on the back, like the Forte and Quartet. The Chorus II also uses a tractrix midrange horn, and is perceived as an improvement over the original Chorus to many.

Do you know if they have front ports or a passive radiator on the back?

I would at least check them out and give them a spin.

All of the "Extended Heritage" series are highly desirable by folks that like the sound of these speakers. They are very well-built speakers with heavy drivers, heavy cabinet, and real wood veneer.

I have a pair of the original Forte (from '87 or '88, I believe) in my collection, and rotate them in and out of one of my systems. Picked them up last year and recapped them right away. Also reglued the grill peg inserts, rotated the the woofer 180 deg, and did some cosmetic work on the cabinet.

I would describe Forte sound as very dynamic and live-sounding, so they present great scale and "drama" in music. They can play as loud as you want without signs of compression and distress. However, as the volume is pushed, they can sound a bit too forward in the midrange on some material, maybe a bit shouty at times, IMO. The later version II of the Forte and Chorus are said to have smoother midrange due to the tractrix midrange horn.

Klipsch recently came out with the Forte III with improved design and components.
    5.1 and 2.0 ch Basement Media Room: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage or Dayton IO655 on patio.
    2.1 ch Basement Gym: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2/Chromecast Audio.
    2.0 ch Living Room: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED.
    2.0 ch Semi-portable: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3/Chromecast Audio.
    Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    edited May 2018
    Options
    FWIW, I remember the original, ported Chorus as being pretty good.
    I've listened to the Chorus II as well, but (again, FWIW) don't remember it being all that much better -- goin' back quite a while with those memories, though.

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Well her family loaded her up with too much other crap so she wasn't able to get them on this trip. Thanks for all the help all!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC