SVS SB1000 or Rhthmik L12 Direct Servo subwoofer?

2»

Comments

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    I don’t know, I’ve never had a chance to compare the two…
    But when they say “Rythmik stops on a dime”.... they’re not kidd’n
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    How much better is the Rhythmic gear than the REL stuff?

You're pretty awesome at testing, beta's and reviews....Hmmmm, there's your sign :D:D:D

Can't say what's better w/o a side by side, especially in both their value lines. When you start comparing their upper lines the almighty dollar may sway the pound for pound rating. Rythmik is a really good sub for music, and the support is really good too.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    I think I may order a L12 and do some comparison, was curious if they're even in the same league or if REL is overpriced junk as I've seen mentioned on another forum.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    I think I may order a L12 and do some comparison, was curious if they're even in the same league or if REL is overpriced junk as I've seen mentioned on another forum.

Wouldn't call REL over priced junk. They're very good subs, build quality, sound, and preformance. I personally think REL is more geared toward the music side, and one may find a better choice for HT, but your looking at two different philosophies in sub design.

Rythmik takes a different approach to their subs than REL. Since the vast majority of modern processors have some kind of calibration program, why not utilize their system to fine tune the sub. They offer enough options to get, call it a rough calibration in the room, but it is by far from the best. Then again Hsu has pretty much the same philosophy.

I think the thing that turns a lot of people away from Rythmik is the aluminum woofer. It sounds a little different from pulp cones, but most people don't really notice. Most people who hear them love them.

I also think REL gets a lot of negativity from price conscious people. Sure, looking at the specs on paper, you can find equivalent preformance for much lower pricing. But build quality and sound isn't even close.

Probably couldn't think of two manufacturers with different approaches to the end product as different as REL and Rythmik.

That's also true with every aspect of this hobby. How many times have you read product a is just as good a product b and simply shake your head, because your sick and tired of calling the people with those opinions absolute morons.

Not saying that one approach is better than the other. Just have to deside which trade off is better for your application and of course budget.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,705
    After 3 phone messages and one email to Velodyne in the last week with no response I think it's safe to say they don't give a crap. The way they are going out of business is not honorable and makes me damn glad I didn't drop a large chunk of change on one of their DD+ subs.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Wow, thanks for the heads up. Ignoring potential customers is a great way to put the nail in the coffin.
    F1nut wrote: »
    After 3 phone messages and one email to Velodyne in the last week with no response I think it's safe to say they don't give a crap. The way they are going out of business is not honorable and makes me damn glad I didn't drop a large chunk of change on one of their DD+ subs.

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    @txcoastal1

Enrico is on another forum I'm a member of and was last time I heard running Polk LSiM 703's and other LSiM's with his gear.

He was a really cool guy and very nice. I'd buy from him with the utmost confidence.

I just decided I need to go DIY to meet the design criteria I have lol...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    edited April 2018
    Anyone build your own cabinet for one of the Rhythmik CI (custom install) units?
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Has anyone built a cabinet for one of the Rythmik custom install (CI) subs?
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    edited May 2018
    Rhythmic seems to think that I need dual 15" subs. Are they crazy of is it just me?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Sounds like overkill, but what do I know? (Don't answer that Jesse)
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Rhythmic seems to think that I need dual 15" subs. Are they crazy of is it just me?

• afterburnt
    I figured I would need dual 12's when I move to a bigger room but a singly 15 is not going to fit my current room.

The main reason I contacted them was to as if it is ok to connect and single sub and if so how to do it. The REL site says not to connect a single sub to speak levels.

What you do folks think?
  • afterburnt
    If I do somehow end up with a pair of 15's can I set em on top of my PB2000's?
  • rpf65
    I made it through 26 seconds.
  • afterburnt
    Really? I used to be able to go all night without a recharge.
  • rpf65

Can probably hang them from your ceiling, if you put enough thought into it.
  • afterburnt
    edited May 2018
    rpf65 wrote: »

Can probably hang them from your ceiling, if you put enough thought into it.

If I wernt so lazy I would be hanging from the ceiling and we wouldn't be have this discussion.

Wait that has a connotation that I did not intend. Allow me to rephrase that: If I wernt so lazy I would be hanging from the ceiling by my nipples for fun a profit and we wouldn't be have this discussion.
  • afterburnt
    treitz3 wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    That discussion started off well enough, but ended a bit strangely.

In case anyone is wondering, the OP, our very own treitz3 ended up buying a pair of Rythmik F25's.

I did indeed. While I can not speak for the model afterburnt is inquiring about, my purchase of the pair of F25's is slated in my mind as one of the top 5 audio purchases I have made in my lifetime. If you know me, you will know that I have been through quite a lot of gear over the decades.

I think (just my opinion) that it isn't so much the name brand of the sub (referring to Ryhtmik) that makes it special, I think honestly that it's the direct servo technology. THIS is what I think makes the Rythmik subs. If you have not heard it yet, you owe it to yourself to hear one....from any manufacturer. Tight, accurate, powerful, precise *NO boom at the bottom whatsoever* and because of these quality traits, it makes them very easy to blend in with the rest of the system. I say this from experience with 2 direct Servo subs on 2 different systems I had to dial in.

Your headed in the right direction in choosing a sealed sub for Rythmik as well, FWIW.

While I have not heard either of the subs you have on your list, I am very familiar with both companies and their offerings over the years. If this were a decision that was up to me? I would choose the Rythmik. Not because of the name brand but because of the technology. Good luck with whatever it is you end up purchasing.

Tom

@treitz3 Thanks Tom. I am pretty sure I will get a single higher end Rhythmik 12" and hope to add a second when I move. I see you like the dual driver model. Do you think I could get just one of those and call it a day? If I do get that one I will have to modify (chainsaw to the dresser) some furniture to fit it until I move.
  • afterburnt
    edited May 2018
    I am starting to think about this one and be done. It will look good on the nightstand.
    http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F25.html

Wait, at 170 pounds it's gonna look good in the driveway. :#
  • rpf65
    Lay it on its side and use it as a coffee table.
  • afterburnt
    And you know good well I don't drink coffee,
    So you fill my cup full of sand
    And the frozen tea leaves on the bottom
    Sharing lipstick around the broken edge
    And my coat that you let your dog lay by the fire on
    And your cat he attacked me from his pill?box ledge
    And I thought you were my friend too
    Man, my shadow comes in line before you
    I'm finding out that it's eh not so easy
    Specially when your only friend
    Talks, looks, sees and feels like you,
    And you do the same just like him
  • rpf65
    Call it a bourbon table, if you don’t like coffee.
  • afterburnt
    Damn, now I want Bourbon and Pizza!
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    I am starting to think about this one and be done. It will look good on the nightstand.
    http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F25.html

Wait, at 170 pounds it's gonna look good in the driveway. :#

I'm thinking about checking out the dual 8" for my 2 channel system next time I can stop by Ascend.
    I had the F12 SE but moved it to HT duty. Love the "speed" of the units. Not the most appealing looking but they do perform.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Do you think I could get just one of those and call it a day?
    Absofreakin'lootly. One would be just fine. I bought two because I wanted the subs to be in stereo just like the mains. Overkill perhaps for most but it's my money and my rig.....and I'm picky.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Derf
    Derf Posts: 229
    I figured I would need dual 12's when I move to a bigger room but a singly 15 is not going to fit my current room.

The main reason I contacted them was to as if it is ok to connect and single sub and if so how to do it. The REL site says not to connect a single sub to speak levels.

What you do folks think?
    Bruce, I have one Rythmik hooked to just the right channel of my amp. No problems, sounds great to me. Don't know if I am missing something by doing it this way. Hopefully it doesn't cause the magic smoke to be released.
    Integrated Amp: Marantz PM-10
    Speakers: Usher MD2
    Subwoofer: Rythmik F15HP
    DAC: North Star Design Supremo
    Streaming Source: AURALiC Aries Mini
    SACD Player: Marantz SA8004
    Power Source: PS Audio PP3 on dedicated 20amp circuit
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Derf wrote: »

What you do folks think?
    Bruce, I have one Rythmik hooked to just the right channel of my amp. No problems, sounds great to me. Don't know if I am missing something by doing it this way. Hopefully it doesn't cause the magic smoke to be released.

I think your missing have the signal lol. Bass and kick drum are usually balanced dead center (though not always especially on jazz) and so you are only getting half the bass. You need a splitter connected to both the left and right channels and then run mono into the sub. Or if the sub has dual inputs just run both channels into the sub.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    edited May 2018
    I recently added a single Rythmik F8 to my system--deciding how to safely get stereo input to mono for the sub took me quite a bit of research and a bit of adaptor creativity.

Issue is detailed here: Why Not Wye?

My solution, at least for the time being, has this cable as the central problem-solver.

Where you're picking up your stereo signal and how you're connecting to the sub would determine what other adaptors you'd need on that Castline cable. It feels a little 'kludgy' with multiple adaptors in the chain, but at least I'm not worried about damaging any of my electronics. With a bit more research I suppose I could make my own cable with appropriate terminations, but that's for the future.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • Derf
    Derf Posts: 229
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    I think your missing have the signal lol. Bass and kick drum are usually balanced dead center (though not always especially on jazz) and so you are only getting half the bass. You need a splitter connected to both the left and right channels and then run mono into the sub. Or if the sub has dual inputs just run both channels into the sub.
    Never really thought about it that way, but it does make sense--thanks for pointing that out. I will add a cable.
    Integrated Amp: Marantz PM-10
    Speakers: Usher MD2
    Subwoofer: Rythmik F15HP
    DAC: North Star Design Supremo
    Streaming Source: AURALiC Aries Mini
    SACD Player: Marantz SA8004
    Power Source: PS Audio PP3 on dedicated 20amp circuit