DSWpro 550wi - Red LED - Is it gone forever?

I have a Polk DSW Pro 550wi (Wired via LFE) that was working great for the last six years.

Now, even with the subwoofer powered, it only stays on for few seconds (10-20 seconds), as per the front blue LED. On the back panel, as soon as I turn it on, the LED changes to green, and after few seconds (10-20 seconds) it changes to red.

I tried disconnecting from the electrical outlet, as per the manual instructions for some time, and got the same results (Red Led).

I live in Brazil, so I am not able to contact Polk Customer Service by phone and/or acquire a amp board. Can someone provide me a PDF of the electrical circuit of the amp board, so I can send it to an electrical techinician to check if are there any serviceable components?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Polk Audio LSiM 703 MM Bookshelf Loudspeakers (Front Left & Right)
Polk Audio LSiM 704c MM Center Channel Speaker (Center)
Polk Audio RC60i In-Ceiling Speakers (Rear Left & Right)
KEF Kube 12b 12″ DSP Subwoofer

Comments

• Motta
    Motta Posts: 20
    Hello everybody,

So I removed the main board of my DSWpro 550wi. Here it is:

voffxtx4ulhv.jpg

After a visual inspection, I found that R24 and R34 are damaged:

rfbab8yoyhyd.jpg

Tomorroow, I will take this board to an electrical engineer/electronic technician (yep, he is both) to check if these parts are replaceable or not and if there are any other parts tha need to be replaced. An electrical circuit schematic of this board would be helpful.

I will keep you updated.

[]'s
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,139
    Hey glad you were able to fix it.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,937
    So glad we could help ;) ...but I am glad you got it back up an running!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Motta
    Hello,

Well, it did not last long... After 10-12 days of use, my Polk DSW Pro 550wi has presented the same problem as before (the red LED of death). So, there is something on this power board that it is blowing these resistors.

Any assistance is appreciated.

[]'s
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Can't you just order whole new guts from Polk?
  • Motta
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Can't you just order whole new guts from Polk?
    Hello afterburnt,

I am not sure if Polk would send a replacement board overseas.

Also, I was looking at other posts from this forum I read that a replacement board may cost approximately US$ 300.00. If we consider that the price of a new subwoofer on Amazon is US$ 319.95, a replacement board is quite expensive. Also, if Polk send this replacement board overseas, its final cost will be around US$ 800.00 including taxes and shipping.

We identified that this problem is located on the power board (pictured above), so it may be fixable replacing some damaged components.

[]'s
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Yikes. Glad you got it fixed the first time, but I don’t see anything that could cause them to fail that is obvious to my untrained eye. I’ll look for a schematic, and if I find one, I will come back and post it here. Just to be 100% sure, how hard are you pushing this thing? If your driving it to hard then that could cause it to fail, although since the driver isn’t dead I don’t think it would be that. Did it perform normally when it was working after the first repair?
    Micah
  • Motta
    edited May 2018
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Yikes. Glad you got it fixed the first time, but I don’t see anything that could cause them to fail that is obvious to my untrained eye. I’ll look for a schematic, and if I find one, I will come back and post it here. Just to be 100% sure, how hard are you pushing this thing? If your driving it to hard then that could cause it to fail, although since the driver isn’t dead I don’t think it would be that. Did it perform normally when it was working after the first repair?
    Micah

I used to use my subwoofer everyday to watch TV & Netflix and play games on Xbox One. Usually, I don not push it hard. My regular volume on Denon 2112CI is -50db for TV & Xbox and -30db for Netflix. For movie watching (no more than one movie per week), I use it at -15db. My DSWPRO 550wi is set to volume 22 (0-40). So, I think my usage is/was pretty light.

On this second fix attempt we noticed that the resistors that were replaced previously on the power board (R24 and R34) are in pretty good condition. So, they are not a problem at this time. Some additional tests will be performed on the power board today.

I think that we will need to move our efforts to the amp board. We noticed that the two inductors (L101 and L102) are damaged. These two guys are labeled as 8019P 100L. The capacitor (C101) looked fine. I will look for the specs of these guys named 8019P 100L.

If someone has the schematics of the power and amp board, please post it here, it would be very helpful.

[]'s
  • Motta
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Micah

Hello mlistens03,

Thanks for your post.

I think my usage is/was pretty light. My DSWPRO 550wi is set to volume 22. Its scale goes from 0 to 40. I used it everyday for TV watching (-50 db), Netflix (-30 db) and Xbox One (-50 db) using my Denon 2112CI. I used it for movies (-15 db), no more than once a week. It was working pretty fine after the first repair.

At this time, we tested the power board and it looked fine. Both resistors (R24 and R34) are in good condition, so I cannot blame them at this time. Additional testing on the power board will be made later today.

It appears that our problem is on the amp board (not pictured). There are two damaged inductors (L101 and L102). Theses guys are labeled as 8019P 100L. If some one has their specs, it would be helpful. The capacitor on this board (C101) looked fine.

It would be helpful if someone could provide the schematics for these boards...

[]'s
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Hello,
    Send an email to: [email protected] and ask about schematics.
  • Motta
    @KennethSwauger,

Thank you. Kim sent me the schematics.

Now, I am waiting for some small parts acquired online.

Well, we still have problems on the power board. The power board is not able to maintain its power output when connected to the amp board or a capacitor. The integrated circuit (CQ1265RT) will be replaced shortly.

[]'s
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Sorry, i forgot to look for a schematic. Seems like ken got that worked out for you.
    Hope the repair goes well!
  • Edas
    Edas Posts: 3
    Hi Motta,
    I was wondering how is ended up with your subwoofer? As I have the same issue with my DSW Pro 660wi.
  • sdanilom
    sdanilom Posts: 1
    Hi Motta,
    I have the same problem. I live in Belo Horizonte. Could you please, send me the schematics of power source?

Obrigado.
    Sergio Danilo.
    [email protected]
  • Motta
    Hello Sergio,

I sent you an e-mail with the schematics for Polk DSW 550wi.

Unfortunately, I was not able to fix my subwoofer. I sent it for two different electronic techinicians, but they were not able to fix it, even with the power board and amp schematics. I bought a subwoofer from another brand.

Your best option would be if you could order a power board and an amp board directly from Polk (if you live on US, of course).

[]'s
  • CHINDHU
    CHINDHU Posts: 1
    pls send dsw pro 550wi Schematic
    mail id : [email protected]
  • Great way to save on the latest technology! Availability is limited to the
    Open Box items are sold on more details please don't hesitate to give us a call at 1.800.340.4770. Happy New Year 2020 Gif
  • Could someone send me or post the schematic for the dsw pro 500 or 550 or 600 all the same.
    Is there a cross ref for the inductor 8019P 100L and about the value on Resistance R24 and 34
    Thank you
  • Motta
    vierdane wrote: »
    That would be at [email protected]
    Thanks

Hello vierdane,

Do you still need this? If yes, please send me a direct message.

[]'s
  • Hi all,
    I have a dsw550 with the same red light problem.
    To fix it, i need to know if the power supply is good (or bad) and what is the protection circuitry that cut the power off...
    Checking the power supply, i found some bad ESR capacitors and 1 dead feedback octocoupler (817B). After replacing them, i had a high hope that the sub will work again straight away...but no.
    So now i have to find out what is the protection circuitry that in charge of cutting the power off. Looking at the schematics (thanks to Motta) did not help because the parts, their location and values are different.
    Knowing that the PSU is ok, i then focus on the logic board and the power amp board..and guess what? As soon as i unplug the power amp board, the Green light stays..
    In short, the faulty part is the amplifier chip (STA517B)...It has the protection circuitry built-in and send the faulty signal to shut down the SMPS through pin 25 of the chip. Replace it and no more red light.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,630
    What? The information posted was useful? The referred sites was good? Are you going to use those images for "New Year"? How festive!
  • Hi guys! I really need the electrical schematic of the DSW PRO 500. Can someone help me please. send email: [email protected]
  • For this kind of problem, the culprit is the AX431 Voltage Reference Regulator. I fix mine by replacing these parts in the Power Supply section. Direct replacement is TL431A, about $2 in eBay.