Got quote from BestBuy, what do you guys think?

Options
mee6
mee6 Posts: 13
Hey everyone.

I walked into best buy and got a $5500 (Canadian dollars) quote for the following items:

-2xRTiA9
-CSI A6
-HTS 12'' Sub
-RTiA1 pair
- AVR Onkyo TX-NR1030
- rocket fish : speaker wire and sub cable
- delivery & install

I told them I was interested in buying a power amp, however the sales associate asked how planned on running things that use higher bit audio (his example was Atoms). Since power amps take in analog signal I'd be missing out on this (I wasn't 100% i followed)?
So they put down an AVR.
I guess my question is, were they right when it comes to this fact? Will supplying a power amp with analog hinder some of the sound?

Let me know what you guys think.
  1. Speakers
  2. center — CSi A6
  3. fronts — 2 x RTi A9
  4. rears — 2 x RTi A3
  5. Ceiling — 2x RC 80i
  6. Subwoofer — SVS PB-3000
  • Amplifiers
  • Anthem A5
  • Anthem A2
  • Marantz AV-7704

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Those RTiA9's need an amp
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mee6
    Options
    Yea that is what I figured.
    But what about their comment about bitrate. For movies will the system be losing data when it comes to digital vs analog?
    1. Speakers
    2. center — CSi A6
    3. fronts — 2 x RTi A9
    4. rears — 2 x RTi A3
    5. Ceiling — 2x RC 80i
    • Amplifiers
    • Anthem A5
    • Anthem A2
    • Marantz AV-7704
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    mee6 wrote: »
    Yea that is what I figured.
    But what about their comment about bitrate. For movies will the system be losing data when it comes to digital vs analog?

No is the short answer. Your receiver converts all incoming digital signals to analog, then out to the amp, and then to the speakers.

The A9's will need an amp, that sub could be better and I would be looking at SVS or HSU subs, Those speaker cables are horrible too in my opinion. Way too much money for what they are trying to sell you.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Move down to the RtiA7's and get a better sub mentioned above
    You'll still thoroughly enjoy your HT and will not need an amp when properly setting the sub crossovers
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mee6
    Options
    Thanks for the responses,
    Agreed, the quote was on the high end. Did forget to write that they said they'd do their extended warranty on all of the speakers for 9 years and avr for 4 years.

I didn't know the subwoofer could be better. Guess i got to do more reading on subs.

Thanks!
    1. Speakers
    2. center — CSi A6
    3. fronts — 2 x RTi A9
    4. rears — 2 x RTi A3
    5. Ceiling — 2x RC 80i
    • Amplifiers
    • Anthem A5
    • Anthem A2
    • Marantz AV-7704
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    That AVR came out around 2015, you may want a more modern one.

Seems a little on the expensive side to me. Just did a quick search, and US pricing would be about $3,000. That's no bargin hunting, and the AVR about $950 on eBay. Like I said it's almost ancient in the HT world, so not a big selection out there.

Might be a little more attractive with the newer version, close to flagship AVR status, and Audioquest cables instead of rocket fish.

Would pass on the sub. The A9's will already dig that deep, and you will need an amp with those guys.
  • mee6
    Options
    Yea, the sales person suggested that one because it was being discontinued and therefore cheaper?
    tonyb wrote: »
    I would be looking at SVS or HSU subs,

How do you like your SVS SB-2000?
    And do you mind me asking at what price you got it at?

1. Speakers
    2. center — CSi A6
    3. fronts — 2 x RTi A9
    4. rears — 2 x RTi A3
    5. Ceiling — 2x RC 80i
    • Amplifiers
    • Anthem A5
    • Anthem A2
    • Marantz AV-7704
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    Options
    Hey everyone.

I walked into best buy and got a $5500 (Canadian dollars) quote for the following items:

-2xRTiA9
    -CSI A6
    -HTS 12'' Sub
    -RTiA1 pair
    - AVR Onkyo TX-NR1030
    - rocket fish : speaker wire and sub cable
    - delivery & install

I told them I was interested in buying a power amp, however the sales associate asked how planned on running things that use higher bit audio (his example was Atoms). Since power amps take in analog signal I'd be missing out on this (I wasn't 100% i followed)?
    So they put down an AVR.
    I guess my question is, were they right when it comes to this fact? Will supplying a power amp with analog hinder some of the sound?

Let me know what you guys think.

That person doesn't know what they are talking about.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    @mee6 "Atoms"? I don't get it. I'm pretty sure the sales associate knows what he's talking about but no one else in this universe does.
  • mee6
    Options
    Yep, my bad I meant Dolby Atmos.
    1. Speakers
    2. center — CSi A6
    3. fronts — 2 x RTi A9
    4. rears — 2 x RTi A3
    5. Ceiling — 2x RC 80i
    • Amplifiers
    • Anthem A5
    • Anthem A2
    • Marantz AV-7704
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Yep, my bad I meant Dolby Atmos.

The forum can help better if you start with saying what gear you have now and what you would like to have. Dolby Atmos is a special configuration that requires extra speakers for height effects. If you are starting from scratch and just looking for a 5.1 system you will get better and more cost effective recommendations here than at Best Buy. First cost effective recommendation is you would not need an extended warranty on speakers. That's pure profit for Best Buy and money snatched out of your pocket.
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    Options
    The company cost on a BB warranty is about $8 to them. Nice profit margin. The Polks, SVS, and others are 5 year on New Product.
    Put that money towards your equipment.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 478
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I would agree most here, ask for a more modern AVR, upgrade the sub and ditch the cables once they tally up stay on the fence then ask for an additional 10% off most times they would.

You can probably do better going to blue jeans cables than rocket fish but you’ll need to know what to get.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100 | 150” Elite Screen Acoustic Pro UHD
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte | Roku TV
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | Fire TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,450
    Options
    What's this system going to be used for?
    Combo HT and music?
    If music's in there, I have to recommend considering the Signature Series speakers.
    I disabled signatures.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    edited May 2018
    Options
    If I didn't say so, can you buy from Newegg.com? I got a few suround and such at some fine prices. Newegg scewed me so I am done with them. I hate to utter their name.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,602
    edited May 2018
    Options
    You too? I had used them for years for several PC builds for me and others, and I had such a bad experience with them the last time I used them that I told them I'd never do business with them again, and I won't.

They effectively shrugged and said "Oh well". They're a crap company now. The only thing they have in common with the company they used to be is the name.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    If I didn't say so, can you buy from Newegg.com? I got a few suround and such at some fine prices. Newegg scewed me so I am done with them. I hate to utter their name.

• mee6
    Options
    I currently only own a CSIA6 (bought it on sale).
    My intention is only for home theater.
    I kind of did some rough numbers, and I believe it is just cheaper to buy the listed speakers individually, which for the A9's happened to be today
    1. Speakers
    2. center — CSi A6
    3. fronts — 2 x RTi A9
    4. rears — 2 x RTi A3
    5. Ceiling — 2x RC 80i
    • Amplifiers
    • Anthem A5
    • Anthem A2
    • Marantz AV-7704