Hum (Ground Loop?) at Speakers

13»

Comments

• scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Update...

As a last resort, I picked up a Rolls Buzz Off Hum Eliminator. I added it to the system, and unfortunately, it did not eliminate the buzz. It actually made it worse. At my wits end, I figured I’d pull the Carver and put the Denon back in. (The Denon was what was used first and I replaced it with the Carver in hopes of eliminating the hum. So, all the suggested attempts to eliminate the buzz had been done with the Carver and not the Denon.)

When I put the Denon back in as the pre WITH the Rolls Buzz Off still in the chain, the buzz was still horrible. When I took the Buzz Off out, the buzzing was all but gone! :) There is still a VERY faint hum but it’s only noticeable with your ear RIGHT against the speakers and at that, it’s barely audible.

I have NO idea why the buzz is gone now with the Denon back in again, but I’m not complaining. It’s now time to put this behind me and enjoy some music!

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    It's magic--enjoy!!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    scubalab wrote: »
    Update...

When I put the Denon back in as the pre WITH the Rolls Buzz Off still in the chain, the buzz was still horrible. When I took the Buzz Off out, the buzzing was all but gone! :) There is still a VERY faint hum but it’s only noticeable with your ear RIGHT against the speakers and at that, it’s barely audible.

I have NO idea why the buzz is gone now with the Denon back in again, but I’m not complaining. It’s now time to put this behind me and enjoy some music!

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Sounds like a intermittent/bad cable or termination (or two) in the mix someplace. BTDT, many many times over the millennia decades. :|
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Weird. I used to have a buzzing in my system, but I couldn’t figure it out, so my system sat for a week and I used headphones. When I finally got time to look at it, it was mysteriously gone... I don’t know what happened, but as long as it works :wink:
    I still played around with it for a while to find the source of the buzzing, but I never did.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    Any stray wires touching an adjacent terminal, not likely but never know.

Have you tried different interconnects?
  • scubalab
    gmcman wrote: »
    Any stray wires touching an adjacent terminal, not likely but never know.

Have you tried different interconnects?

I fear messing with anything now might bring the buzz back, LOL. It could have been anything causing the buzz with the Denon. Just glad it's gone now. The Carver will be put back into use for the patio speakers. It works fine without an amp, but with the amp, I could NOT eliminate the buzz no matter what I tried...

I did try multiple different ICs with the Carver, but they were all the same.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    The sage medical advice of that venerable physician Dr. Henny Youngman fairly leaps to mind.
    Guy goes in to see a doctor, says "Doctor, it hurts when I do this."
    [HY waggles his hand at the wrist]
    Doctor says, "Don't do that!"

Medicine just doesn't have that human touch any more.

ahem.

;)
  • scubalab
    My parents used to give me the SAME advice!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited May 2018
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Medicine just doesn't have that human touch any more.

Well Duh, we've got google, alexa and siri for that now :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)