Whoo-hoo! Vintage "Stereo Review" magazine scans are online!

Options
As seen Someplace Else:
http://www.americanradiohistory.com/HiFI-Stereo-Review.htm

No idea how long they'll persist (as I reckon these are still under copyright, since a descendant periodical is still being published), but it's a cool development (IMO, that is) and worth - umm - exploiting while the opportunity presents itself.

I am looking forward to re-reading favorite, classic Steve Simels record reviews, if nothing else!

We can also collect instances of Julian Hirsch's piercing commentary on reviewed components:
Of all the amplifiers I have ever tested, this is certainly one of them...
;)

Matthew Polk was a White Coat, but Julian Hirsch was a Blue Coat, it appears.

2grrplb1fuf0.png

Comments

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    Nice!!!! I used to read this all the time. I liked their writing
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    Page 22 from February 1962 is a riot... wish I could copy that page here.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    My new neighbor looks just like a young Julian Hirsh! :D
    He shaves his head so the resemblance is uncanny!. :)

I still have all my stereo reviews from 1976 till now. But it merged with Video review years and years ago and it's called "Sound and Vision" now.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Tony M
    Options

Don't you mean page "21" from Feb. 62'?

That page made me smile a bit to think that was acceptable back then. NOT NOW! LOL.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,607
    Options
    Who knew that we'd been fighting this battle back in the 60s and still do today!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,607
    Options
    Also $429.50 for the model with AM radio. That's expensive for 1963!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »

Don't you mean page "21" from Feb. 62'?

That page made me smile a bit to think that was acceptable back then. NOT NOW! LOL.

"PrtSc", baby! :)

qw7idw1v7elt.png

Page 22 shows a pretty hip and happenin' audiophile, too -- this guy'd be the envy of the subway today, don't you think?

a138o6748e5j.png

... and dig that unironic moustache, too!
  • Tony M
    Options
    Ok.

I can see what John was talking about now.
    That s**t eatin grin maybe.
    That mustache.
    Those funky headphones.

Or the fact he can't carry 2 speakers around with him.

That grin makes me think he's gotten away with something!
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »
    That grin makes me think he's gotten away with something!

Gettin' away with rockin' that pair of headphones takes - as some would say - stones.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    Options
    Thanks Mark, these are very nice to see again, hope they stay put. I had many of these, but in the mid 1980's to clean up, threw them all out, I had Audio, Stereo Review and High Fidelity mags for many years. I kept later mags, including Stereophile, Stereo Review, Sound and Vision and a short-lived mid 1990's mag called CD Review.

The page shown is from the web site you posted, Stereo Review December 1975, page 132. This looks like the modern yellow Spin Clean.

dhz6t30hieyw.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2018
    Options
    De nada. I learned that the Stereo Reviews were now available from a post @ AK; I am pleased that I happened to see it!

I had most of the 1970s stereo rags, too - long gone, though (even a pack rat such as I has limits!).

That is almost certainly the same as todays Spinclean AFAIK. I have a Spinclean. Dollar for dollar, it does a pretty good job. I use it on dump-find-grade rekkids, with good results. The fluid gets pretty gross looking pretty fast when cleaning really scuzzy records.

"scuzzy" -- there's a word we don't hear much any more :p
  • Kingrat
    Kingrat Posts: 74
    Options
    I had an insane, yes, I admit it, insane collection of magazines from when I was a little kid until I moved the second time and decided that some just had to go. First were the audio mags, hundreds of them, SR, Hi-Fidelity, Audio, and more I can't even remember anymore, including British and even some Japanese ones, with the model train mags tossed in. The thing that finally cracked me was when I tore a muscle in my back carrying a huge box full of them. I plopped them into the garage and as soon as I healed up, I took them to a swap meet and sold them for 10 cents a pop. Sadly, most of the stereo mags went unsold. I tried to donate them, but they ended up in the landfill. I would bet there was over a half ton of them. I had dozens of magazine subscriptions, my first being Trains when I was about 5. I could read before I was 3 and they kept me occupied. I'm down to about 15 today, not by choice. I still have over a ton of old car, truck, gaming, and other mags, sitting in the boxes I loaded up back in June.
    Cable atheist: They're just trying to get your money like a TV preacher!
    Vinyl system: I'm long done with the snap, crackle, and pop.
  • Tony M
    Options
    Scuzzy...I agree. Haven't heard that word in like 25 years...LOL.
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,637
    Options
    Thanks for.posting. I wish I still had all of my issues of Stereo Review, Stereophile, and Audio from the 80s back when I subscribed to all three.