Getting back on the horse

heiney9
heiney9 Posts: 25,053
edited April 2018 in The Clubhouse
So I admit, I took a bit of a break from audio over the Fall/Winter. Normally Winter and the heat of my amp go hand in hand. I stopped (cold turkey) buying tubes about a year ago. It had become quite an obsession and I just couldn't pass up a deal.....lol. Sort of audio crack. The thrill of the hunt, the thrill of the deal, etc was addicting. Plus I have accumulated just about everything under the sun with respect to 6SL7; ECC81: ECC82; ECC83; 6x4; 6V6; 6L6 and variants.

I bought a new GTi in May of last year and that really put the kibosh on tube buying (didn't need to buy tubes anyway since I had everything). The down payment wiped out my audio fund (or seriously made a dent in it). That was fine as the timing was right and the deal was very good.

Last weekend I fired up the rig for probably the 3rd or 4th time in a year. Wow, was that sweet music to my ears. Made me fall back into love again with audio again. Probably the wrong time of the season since I'm a lot busier this time of year.

The audio funds are built back up again and I found a new piece of gear which will probably be my final stopping point, for a long time, maybe forever. It was just released so I want to wait until it trickles into the used market.

But I'm glad to be back on the horse and frankly, I needed the break. I was starting to drive myself crazy over analyzing each listening session. Sometimes you need to step away and come back to enjoy it again.

I'll have to finish this post later.......................more to come on the new piece of gear.

H9

P.s. I never even finished putting together my Dreadnaught! Shame on me. All the parts are sitting in a box. That's project numero uno!
"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Back from hibernation! Spring is here! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Alright!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Congrats on the GTI man! Summer is here, that’s when guns, camping, and car hobbies take over. It’s been a long winter, I don’t see the stereo getting much use this summer.

I’m taking a step back as well, Buy some music and just enjoy the music. The constant analyzing of the system can get exhausting. I’ve calmed right down on the tube hunt. I’ve actually found a combo that really works.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• heiney9
    This is what's on the horizon for me. Started shipping in the past couple of weeks.

https://www.dagogo.com/pass-labs-shipping-new-xa25-class-power-amplifier/
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Oooh, yummy, Like the new face and heat sink designs.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • heiney9
    edited April 2018
    It has an entirely new power FET's for the output. Only 2 devices needed per side. Another "flavor" from Nelson Pass. Since this stuff depreciates so fast right away I'd like to wait and find a demo or used unit.

But I've been doing some preliminary reading and while this is the "baby" in the line up, it's no slouch and the FET outputs might trickle up. Love all the simplicity and care taken to transfer the signal as undiluted as possible, even more so than in the past. And at 55lbs the chassis is lighter and smaller. Now I don't have to worry about it breaking my stand, etc. Lol

Simpler and fewer gain stages improves speed and stability. Lower voltages mean the ability to run gain devices at higher bias currents, more deeply into Class A.

Newer power FET technology replaces banks of parallel small transistors with a single pair of industrial devices, each having a 700 watt / 40 amp rating. With no current-hogging issues and a new constant-current bias circuit to compensate for temperature drift, they connect directly to the loudspeaker without ballast resistors for lowest possible distortion and highest damping factor. No degeneration also increases the efficiency and Class A operating current, allowing greater Class A operation into low impedance and reactive loads.

The simple front end circuit uses two pairs of NOS complementary FETs in common-source mode in a current feedback (CFA) configuration. The amplifier is direct coupled and has no DC servos or frequency compensation.

I just hope I can wait.

H9
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Dang..when I saw the title of your thread and before I read it I thought you were going to have a Needle And The Damage Done moment...Glad it is about getting back into audio...LMFAO!!..
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Nelson Pass couldn't design a single pole light switch to save his life.
  • heiney9
    edited April 2018
    Russ, bugger off! You're just jealous he won't let you run your fingers through his beard!

Guts shot is always a must.

open_big.jpg
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    ;) 25 watts of Class A sexy....
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    edited April 2018
    They had a very nice room at Axpona. Loved seeing the amps broken down into sections.
    IMPRESSIVE!

Welcome back Brock
  • heiney9
    The main thing holding me back in the past was I didn't have Dreadnaught. Now I do, well it's not 100% assembled yet. I'm ready to move on from the Aleph 30. I've had that amp almost 10 years. Of course I'll compare the two to make sure the XA25 is a good fit before selling the Aleph 30.

It's nice to be excited about audio again.

H9

• heiney9
    edited April 2018
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    The only problem with Pass's stuff is that lack of tubes ;)
  • mhardy6647
    In all seriousness, there's a hifi guy I know in MA who has an astonishing collection of equipment. He's not all tube though... he uses Pass amplifiers (don't ask me which ones) for bass and has nothing but good things to say about 'em.

The stuff is, sadly, too rich for my blood -- were it not, there'd be some Pass Labs or FirstWatt equipment here, without a doubt.
  • heiney9
    I misread the date this amp was released. April 2017 not 2018, dang I need to pay better attention. That's good news, that means they will be a bit easier to find slightly owned.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    slightly owned -- that's a new one on me! ;)
    I like it!

Somewhere between brand spankin' new and rode hard and put away wet.

^^^^^^^^^
    Signature stuff right there! :D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    I see he has abandoned the need for the gobs of thermistors
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mhardy6647
    gobs of thermsistors has a nice ring to it, too.
    Great moniker for an alternative music collaborative, methinks.

• heiney9
    edited April 2018
    Direct connection to speakers w/o ballast resistors also. Degeneration (another form of distortion) is eliminated.

According to Nelson Pass: “As with all Pass amplifiers, the technology and construction are strictly in the service of the listening experience. The XA25 measures superbly, but its subjective qualities are most special. In an industry where products with great specs are often found to be dry and boring, this amplifier breathes new life into the music. “It follows the philosophy of PL amplifier design – still greater performance with still simpler circuitry.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    In all seriousness, there's a hifi guy I know in MA who has an astonishing collection of equipment. He's not all tube though... he uses Pass amplifiers (don't ask me which ones) for bass and has nothing but good things to say about 'em.

The stuff is, sadly, too rich for my blood -- were it not, there'd be some Pass Labs or FirstWatt equipment here, without a doubt.

Perhaps if you were to thin the herd a bit and offer up some of those dump-find gems of yours, you could raise the coin for some Pass Labs goodness. You could also make some points with your better half. :pB)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • heiney9

I have that covered w/ a tubed dac and preamp that uses 9 tubes. Many say (especially of the First Watt stuff) because his designs are based on simplicity and fewer gain stages, they emulate many of the characteristics of tubes.

I'll sell you my Aleph 30, a superb amp especially for those that favor a tube sound.
  • mhardy6647
    heiney9 wrote: »

I have that covered w/ a tubed dac and preamp that uses 9 tubes. Many say (especially of the First Watt stuff) because his designs are based on simplicity and fewer gain stages, they emulate many of the characteristics of tubes.

I'll sell you my Aleph 30, a superb amp especially for those that favor a tube sound.

mmm... I shall cogitate & may get in touch 'off-line'.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Nothin's off line
  • heiney9
    heiney9 wrote: »

mmm... I shall cogitate & may get in touch 'off-line'.

That's cool, but I have to find an XA25 to buy. It may be 6 months or so before I do this. But you seem like you're a patient guy :D
  • mhardy6647
    patient = lazy and unfocused (in my case).

You read me like a book!

• heiney9
    edited April 2018
    I've been going back through some interviews and this question in Audiophile Review and the answer has always struck a chord with me. This interview is from 2011. Anyone who thinks measurements are the end all is just not all that well informed and extremely short sighted and.......well........wrong!, IMO

Audiophile Review: In 2011, have we reached a point where amplifiers won't be getting much better or does amplifier design have a long way to go towards perfection?

Nelson Pass: There is progress to be made, and the necessary tools are already on the table. From a strictly objective standpoint we are largely finished - adding more zeros to the usual distortion numbers isn't going to improve the sound very much.

What remains is the need for clearer insight into subjective effects. Our brains are very much different from test equipment and are easily fooled by some phenomena and very sharp at discriminating others. Reading the literature in cognitive psychology, it's clear that we don't know very much about musical perception.

As a practical result we have to emphasize critical listening with potential designs. The necessary tools for this are experienced ears and perseverance.

H9
  • heiney9
    The XA25 is "a simple 3 stage circuit with total of three pair of push-pull gain transistors. In their ideal state, matched push-pull FETs give perfect 'square law' cancellation of distortion, an effect somewhat spoiled by degenerative Source resistance used to constrain the 'personality' of the devices. The removal of this form of feedback is an important element in the performance of the XA25 and is accomplished by new approaches to stabilizing gain and bias of push-pull FETs."

These statements here are what intrigues me about this new Pass amp.