What FM antenna/s has/have worked for you?

13»

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Here's a good deal I think. It probably works. Shipping is 21.00 for me though. My NAD tuner is like this. I'm not sure of my # but it has that RDS scroll ability. :p

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NAD-RDS-TUNER-C-425-AS-IS/382445892276?hash=item590b8d32b4:g:xLQAAOSwew5a4OMe
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,927
    edited April 2018
    Clipdat wrote: »

Why is that too bad? I reckon that's a pretty standard "modern" one-chip FM tuner.

2z8cgnc3f2i4.png
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    I don't know. It just seemed like a nice unit at a good price.
  • mhardy6647
    It's attractive and it has a knob, but at even its list price I don't think that there's much there there (as Gertrude Stein would've said).
  • mhardy6647
    Yamaha made a few nice tuners over the years, though.

CT-7000
    4s7g9kbwbwc9.png
    gf8dzcowxoh9.png

T-2
    xofjf9abg3z1.png
    (on the bottom)

T-70/T-80
    8wkuh1l6nboj.png

(all borrowed photos)

I own a couple of their third-tier models, but none of the great ones.

CT-1010
    11535696185_165df1328f_b.jpgDSC_6689_z by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

CT-800
    plymdspmo3yi.png
    (sorry for the terrible photo; it's all I had handy)
  • Tony M
    edited April 2018
    Now that was a bevy of beauties!

Man those tuners ( and Integrated ) look awesome!

I liked that one with those green dots showing signal stregnth I would guess. I always liked LED indicators. I had that OLD Harmon Kardon AMP that had the power level LEDs.
    soe716l3nuvc.png
    I had the 21 pre to go with it too.
    fj8nm1e8he8a.png
    Man, again, I wish I didn't have to sell that set! :'(

• mhardy6647
    harmon/kardon made a line of lower-end (sub-Citation) separates in the early 1980s that were very sexy in that early-era of LEDs for everything; do you remember them?

14035850202_25f3bf7bac_b.jpgDSC_9173 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I have identically one of the components, the hk770 power amp (which is actually a rather nice, "dual mono" power supply component with the typical broad frequency response and high slew rate of hk gizmos of that era). There were some very nice (looking, at least) hk tunas, too, of the same era that I wouldn't mind stumbling across some day.

Not that I can find a good picture of one at the moment :p
  • Tony M
    I had an amp from that series and sold it. It was one SOLID compact unit.

A few days later, I see a tuner from that series in a pawn shop for 15.00. I called the guy and he said he wanted it so I bought it and mailed it to him. He paid for it all.

After he got it, he told me it would light up but there were burnt parts in it that made it useless. I felt so bad. I smelled it before buying it too. There was NO burnt smell.

I hope the guy was able to have it repaired if it was repairable.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Looks pretty rough in this pic (I cleaned it up later), but this gem from Archer (Realistic) actually works quite well. I pulled it from my dad's garage.
    3o25bs3c5voo.jpg
    ohxu4bgd4ki5.jpg

"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mhardy6647
    Heh, two of those upstairs - one silver, one ebony ;)

Yeah, they're on par with most of those small amplified FM antennae, I'd say.
    The tuneablilty is a plus on these.
    Not all such little indoor antennae offer any kind of matching, tho' many if not most do.
  • Tony M
    I think I have one of those too. Or the one or second one I found was too dirty to put it inside the cottage. I had one sit outside for a couple months and I think I aborted the mission to try and clean the thing.

I just thought. Why and how do these types get so dirty in the first place? :#:D
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    edited April 2018
    Tony M wrote: »

I just thought. Why and how do these types get so dirty in the first place? :#:D

Well... here is my guess. Someone got angry, maybe because he couldn’t find the black paint for his DIY speaker build. Anyway, so he got angry and threw his burrito across the room. It hits the tuner and gets it all sticky, and then the tuner falls behind the desk/counter/stand where it is dusty. Ba da bing, Ba da boom, you got yourself a nasty, dirty, sticky tuner. :tongue:
  • mhardy6647
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Tony M wrote: »

Well... here is my guess. Someone got angry, maybe because he couldn’t find the black paint for his DIY speaker build...
    [emphasis added]

The Force is strong with this one.

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Maybe somebody thought it could double as a coaster...oops.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mhardy6647
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Maybe somebody thought it could double as a coaster...oops.

it is possible. Drugs were very popular in those hazy, crazy days.