Turntable, TV, no room for a big receiver...

Hi everyone,

I'm unsure if this is the correct place to post this question. If I'm wrong, I apologize.

We've recently installed some bookshelves and cabinets on either side of our fireplace in the living room. To the right of the fireplace is a space for the TV. To the left we'd like to place a turntable. Our serious TV/Theater room is in the basement (which this forum has helped me with in the past, much appreciated!), so we're not looking for a high quality tv/movie experience.

What I do want is:
* Something to increase the quality of the TV sound output.
* Something that will give us good musical performance for the turntable.

Instead of looking at two solutions (one for the tv, one for the turntable), does anyone have any solutions that would solve for both? For example, is there a solid soundbar + sub that would do a good job for music? Or, a simple amp with bluetooth that I could then install a few bookshelves beside the TV?

To get to 1 set of speakers in the room, I'd need something to transmit the signal wirelessly. I know that's not ideal, but I guess I'm asking if it's a possibility and if anyone is doing something similar if the results are acceptable?

Drawing for reference:
illojhk30pct.jpg

Having two separate rigs is OK, but just trying to be efficient with the setup.

Looking to spend less than $1000 on the total project if possible.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Hello! FWIW, it looks like the TV wants to be above the fireplace. Is that possible? I did that for mine.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    That TV placement would drive me nuts.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • ArsenalFC
    ArsenalFC Posts: 50
    I appreciate the feedback, but the TV won't be going above the fireplace. For various reasons (room layout, not liking tvs mounted high on walls, etc...) it makes the most sense where it's drawn.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,013
    Put the TV on a rolling stand. Place it in front of the fireplace when in use with a surround system. Roll it to your prefered place to the right for your normal viewing with a sound bar.

I like symetry with a surround system. Normal TV viewing is not as important but having a TV up high DOES HURT my damaged neck for sure. In doctors offices, I have to stop watching and reset my neck to normal position a lot. My neck tells me it's not normal. :/
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,654
    I have a Yamaha sound bar in the living room and bedroom. It is a self contained unit that has FM, ARC....

Sounds good for what it is but does not compare to the big system.

But where it shines is with my wife. She has a turntable connected to it via a phono preamp and a sub connected wirelessly. Very easy to use and will surprise you with the sound.

One drawback is the price. These are not your simple sound bars that Walmart and Best Buy sell.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,968
    My wife and I have been casually researching houses the last year or so, and it’s amazing how many people have their TVs like that, I.e. to the side of the centered fireplace on built ins. There are actually lots of reasons NOT to mount above the fireplace - heat, height, and soot for example. And my wife would NEVER allow a rolling cart, and neither would either I TBH.

I think your best solution - depending on budget - is a marantz slimline reciever with either two larger bookshelf speakers like the s20s, or two nice satellite speakers like th def tech pro monitor 800s or the much nicer PSB imagine mini, with a small sub like a Martin Logan dynamo. Any of those combos would sound really nice!

The other option is the polk magnify mini, and you wouldn’t need a reciever, but it would sound nearly as good either!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Tony M
    Why can't a HUGE receiver fit in the space to the right of that TT.? It's a HUGE space!
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Tony M wrote: »
    HUGE receiver

m7ah9rc2v59q.jpeg
    dio82kahi5i8.jpeg
    Do you guys think this is too big?
  • Tony M
    NOPE! ;):pB)

That would do the trick, with wires.

And take two people to lift it into place maybe. :#