Canceling my Amazon Prime

Options

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options
    120 a month is peanuts in trade for it's bennefits, but if you don't get down with the whole thnng maybe not?? We have no issue with the hike and thought it was time. By some stock!! Hmmmm

120 a year. :)
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    Options
    Am I the only one that compares their prices to ebay with ebay coming out on top 99% of the time?
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,971
    Options
    Am I the only one that compares their prices to ebay with ebay coming out on top 99% of the time?

I don’t know what exactly you’re comparing, but the times I have compared that’s never the case, Amazon is always cheaper, and the shipping is much faster, usually one day.

Care to share an example?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Options
    Because of Amazon's marketplace, I usually find prices on new goods are the same on Ebay and Amazon. That's because the big vendors operate on both platforms. If something "new" appears on Ebay that is underpriced to a great degree I usually figure it's something from a shady source.

For used books and things similar to that, I will usually check Ebay first because their platform is much better for seeing the condition of items. Again though the same sellers tend to operate on both platforms.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    No Prime for me because when I order from Amazon most of the time the shipping is free and it's here in one or two days maximum.

This is where I’m at. Most of the time items are shipped from the British Columbia warehouses, I’m in Alberta about 12 hours away, it’s usually two day shipping so what’s the point.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,958
    Options
    Amazon is out of control. My wife received a 200 dollar cookware set for what we believe is free. They want to build an airline from scratch when they already get great rates from USPS and FedEx for the volumes they ship. Now they are getting into the grocery business. I would not be surprised if they implode one day.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Amazon is out of control. My wife received a 200 dollar cookware set for what we believe is free. They want to build an airline from scratch when they already get great rates from USPS and FedEx for the volumes they ship. Now they are getting into the grocery business. I would not be surprised if they implode one day.

Someday they will* -- but it'll probably be a while.

Options
    Amazon's start was in cloud/data storage and they were already huge in that.

Didn't take much for them integrate into the retail and data mining world as they already had the technologies and team to support

No acquisition for expansion, just development
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Amazon, AFAIK, started as an online book seller -- I remember their ads when they were brand new.

http://www.businessinsider.com/jeff-bezos-amazon-history-facts-2017-4

• kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,958
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    kevhed72 wrote: »

Someday they will* -- but it'll probably be a while.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Well, I have calmed down, and will probably keep it. I still wish they had a less expensive version with just shipping, and no streaming video, music, etc.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I streamed "holiday music" from Prime on my laptop whilst wrapping Christmas presents last December :)
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I would pay for prime for the streaming alone. Lots of documentaries that netflix never had or will, especially music and war stuff. I like killing and violins.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    I would pay for prime for the streaming alone. Lots of documentaries that netflix never had or will, especially music and war stuff. I like killing and violins.

Documentaries?

I don't think the Buggs Bunny movie is technically considered a documentary.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    rpf65 wrote: »

Documentaries?

I don't think the Bugs Bunny movie is technically considered a documentary.

If I found Bugs on there I would surly watch it too. I do find that kind of stuff on Youtube as well as other stuff. If I didnt wast money on Directv and Netlix I would have some bank for my next moves. I put all those payments in the bank when they fell by the wayside but alas that was way later than I should have. At least three or four grand a over the years paying for the Directv that I did't ever watch save maybe one show. Kept it for the NFL, dvr'd every game of the season and watched like three a yeah for years. DUH! You dont find "Billy Bang" anywhere but Prime.
  • halen
    halen Posts: 677
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Amazon's start was in cloud/data storage and they were already huge in that.

Didn't take much for them integrate into the retail and data mining world as they already had the technologies and team to support

No acquisition for expansion, just development

There is no disputing the cloud today. AWS or Amazon Web Service is strong.

Couple that with Angular JS, Node, or Big Data....I still like Parallax, Jquery...

I have no issues with the raise in price. I use prime benefits a lot. Also great for prime video and HBOadd on and whatever else.

• motorstereo
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »

I don’t know what exactly you’re comparing, but the times I have compared that’s never the case, Amazon is always cheaper, and the shipping is much faster, usually one day.

That would be pretty much everything I've bought online since I got prime in December. As I mentioned earlier I wish this wasn't the case as I get an extra 5% using Amazon's plastic. Even with that incentive ebay's pricing has still been better.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    rpf65 wrote: »

Documentaries?

I don't think the Bugs Bunny movie is technically considered a documentary.

If I found Bugs on there I would surly watch it too. I do find that kind of stuff on Youtube as well as other stuff...

Bugs would probably appreciate your surly viewership, Doc.

;)
  • motorstereo
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »

This morning's example would be a LG3 cellphone replacement battery I ordered just now. I was able to save a couple bucks on ebay vs. Amazon and ebay also has a better selection. I'm not advocating one over the other but the fact that I have not worked yet this year means I have to price shop and so far ebay's prices have been winning.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,754
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    The 2 day free shipping must be costing Amazon a whole lot of profit hence the rate hike

If I'm not mistaken, they spend about 2 billion "B" annually of their own money to offset shipping charges...luring people in. I think thats where some of the political arguements come in to play.

I personally don't care about the 2-day shipping, I can wait a few days. I would rather go for a ride to the store, with the kids if poss and look around, too bad they are one of the culprits for stores drying up.

Do I use amazon, yes...but less and less if possible. They have done a great job of making shopping easy, and I know quality of life is essential and alot of people don't have time to run around town all the time.

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    gmcman wrote: »
    cfrizz wrote: »
    The 2 day free shipping must be costing Amazon a whole lot of profit hence the rate hike
    ...They have done a great job of making shopping easy, and I know quality of life is essential and alot of people don't have time to run around town all the time.

This would definitely be me, especially when I would more than likely come home empty handed.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Well, Amazon keeps pushing the market forward. Now parked car delivery! Or in some cases, perhaps northern New Hampshire, ahem, oxen cart! :smile:
    fz6dpc5byogh.png
    Not sure if I'm ready for that!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2018
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    Well, Amazon keeps pushing the market forward. Now parked car delivery! Or in some cases, perhaps northern New Hampshire, ahem, oxen cart! :smile:
    fz6dpc5byogh.png

So there are two funny things about Amazon's in-car delivery (which is not, by all appearances, a joke):

Thing the first:
    The youngsters of today aren't in the least bit interested in having/owning cars.

Thing the second:
    Notice anything interesting about the car in that image posted above?

fz6dpc5byogh.png
    It's a sedan. With a trunk.
    What did Ford just announce last week?
    How many Americans does Amazon expect to actually own cars with trunks in the near future? :p

My initial thought when I heard about Amazon's in car delivery was, "great -- I want alluringly, potentially valuable boxes in plain sight in the back of my car [SUV]. I like it when folks break into my car."

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    fz6dpc5byogh.png
    How many Americans does Amazon expect to actually own cars with trunks in the near future? :p

My initial thought when I heard about Amazon's in car delivery was, "great -- I want alluringly, potentially valuable boxes in plain sight in the back of my car [SUV]. I like it when folks break into my car."

Sorry, what did Ford announce last week? I didn’t hear it.
    BTW, I am not old enough to drive, but as soon as I have the funds, there is gonna be another car parked in that driveway. Hoping for old boat, like a Cadillac Coupe Deville. That would be awesome.
  • verb
    Options
    Exactly. SUV's can be equipped with a cargo shade, for that purpose, but I wonder if Amazon will actually pull the shade? Looks like you also need OnStar or other connected car service to utilize.
    zawdd0jkr20r.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    Options
    Hey! Beta testing in New Hampshsire? Looks like they missed the mark! :smile:
    rf8w20hr6u5b.png
  • krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    Options
    Exactly. SUV's can be equipped with a cargo shade, for that purpose, but I wonder if Amazon will actually pull the shade? Looks like you also need OnStar or other connected car service to utilize.
    zawdd0jkr20r.png

Just leave the windows open and the doors unlocked, that's what I do.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »

Oddly, Ford recently announced they are discontinuing just about all their cars in America aside from the Mustang and some Focus model.

Exactly so. For better or for worse "cars" in the traditional sense of the word are almost extinct, at least in the US.

Speaking of which: Did Tesla get the memo? I mean, they're still struggling to ramp up production of... what?

;)

06mj8zklmn4f.png

• mhardy6647
    Options
    zawdd0jkr20r.png

And I am sure that none of the Bad Folks ever see an SUV with the cargo cover closed and think "well, I guess there's nothing interesting under there", right?
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »

Oddly, Ford recently announced they are discontinuing just about all their cars in America aside from the Mustang and some Focus model.

What? I didn’t hear about this. And cars are extinct? Why? There are still a ton of cars on the road at least in FL.