Canceling my Amazon Prime

Options

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    I don't get the connection between buying stuff online and some river in Brazil. :#
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Both Amazon and Walmart offers free shipping if you spend a minimum amount, $25 and $35 respectively. Just plan ahead and you can get free shipping without prime.

Yes. Plus you get the same products as Prime. The only thing you lose without Prime is the two day shipping, along with all the other (video, music, etc.) services. If all you do is buy stuff then you do not need Prime. I wish they would offer a cheaper Prime without the music, video streaming, etc.

No you don't. There all kind of things that are only available to Prime members. Granted most everyday essentials are available no matter if you are a prime member or not. But there are certain items that are less if you are Prime member and then there are things that ONLY Prime members can buy.

many Amazon Basics items aren't available unless you subscribe to Prime. All of the Amazon Pantry items aren't available unless you subscribe to Prime and there are various other name brand items that can come up as "not available" unless you are a Prime member.

Just for an fyi.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Granted if the things you buy are available w/o Prime then you don't need to worry. But I've seen this business model before. Slowly, over time, less and less things will be available unless you join "the club". Also, prices for items for non "club members" will start to rise, I've seen it happen already.

Lots and lots of psychology goes into the Amazon business model.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Last fall, I bought all of the Led Zeppelin Deluxe Edition CDs. Four of the nine albums were available through Amazon to non-Prime members. The other five were listed as being only available to Prime members. I ordered those others through private members on eBay. A day or two later, four of those other five CDs were available to me as a non-Prime member.. #hate#
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • heiney9
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I don't hate Amazon and use them fairly often if they are the lowest cost. My only point is the business model has changed quite a bit from day one. There are some great advantages as well as disadvantages now.

More options have become available in the market and now Amazon is trying to distinguish itself from them. It seems by creating a "club" type model where you pay extra for what you used to get for free or at a nominal cost. There are those that it makes sense for, and they will gladly "pay", and for others it won't make sense to "pay", they will use the alternatives now in play.

H9
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Nobody is putting a gun to anyones head FORCING them to work at Amazon. No matter where you work, there will ALWAYS be things you hate about your job or that you think they are treating you poorly. Unless you are independently wealthy...get over it. If you need a job, you need a job, Amazon has jobs.

They can do business anyway they want so long as I get my packages in a couple of days.

I never said they were enslaving people or forcing anyone to work there. For the record there’s nothing that I hate about my job and I’m treated quite well by my company, and I’m not self employed or independently wealthy. I’m not saying I’d expect Amazon to be up there with the likes of Facebook on employee sat, but even within their industry they’re ranked low.

I obviously place a higher premium on how the companies I do business with treat their employees and you care more about your bottom line, nothing wrong with either one and I’m certainly not gonna belittle your opinion by telling you to “get over it”.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Even we use Prime -- and, as you know, I'm kinda stuck in the late Nineteenth Century in general. :#

Must be weird seeing drone delivery in the 19th century setting! :smile:

hot air ballon -- takes a while.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    What is that?! Is it a bird?? Is it a PLANE?! A DRONE?!?!?!

Nope, just Amazon delivering a new pair of toenail clippers to Doc Hardy!

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    What is that?! Is it a bird?? Is it a PLANE?! A DRONE?!?!?!

Nope, just Amazon delivering a new pair of toenail clippers to Doc Hardy!

shoot he uses a body grinder on those....
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    1001 uses..

dremel-rotary-tools-4000-4-36-64_1000.jpg
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    shoot he uses a body grinder on those....

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    I think they should be grandfathering subscribers at their entry rates. This should be the de facto standard for all subscription services.

I think the price increase kicks in for new subscribers in May, and current annual members when their normal renewal comes around. For me, that's December.

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Well worth it to me. They stand behind what they sell and returns are easy. I bought 2 things from Walmart online and neither were exactly what I ordered. Walmarts response was "you'll have to contact whoever sold it" which blew me away. I FREAKIN' BOUGHT IT ON WALMART. I ate the 20-something dollars and learned a lesson, Walmart still sucks.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Well worth it to me. They stand behind what they sell and returns are easy..

That has nothing to do with Prime.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Well worth it to me. They stand behind what they sell and returns are easy..

That has nothing to do with Prime.

It does to me, it's part of the overall "I'm all in" mentality...just another of the reasons I stick with them. Didn't see much reason to rehash what everyone else said. I will, though, next time, just so I don't drive you to make a silly comment like that.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    I save so much money on things from Amazon, I'll take the cost of Prime just for the convenience. The savings from Amazon more than pay for the Prime and sometimes I'm so busy that I simply do not have the time in a day to go shopping......so I go on Amazon, use the Prime and usually I get the item I need before I would ever have the time to waste gas to go shopping for it.

The wife and son use the Prime movies and shows all of the time. For our family, Prime just makes sense. Just this month, I have saved well over $700.00 by shopping at Amazon. Plus an untold amount of time (which is money for me in my line of work), gas plus wear and tear on the truck.

It may not be good for everybody and the price may not be justifiable for some but for me and my family's lifestyle? I would probably spend twice as much for Prime and still be happy with it. It's just too convenient and offers too many benefits for us to turn down. The wife and I share an account and like CFrizz states, it's $9 a month.

Well worth the price of admission here.

To each their own.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    Options
    We use prime a lot. For orders and streaming. Bonus in the area I am they offer same day delivery on orders over $35 for free. Even on a Sunday. I renew last month so good for now.
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Irrenhaus, that reminds me....

About 4 months ago, I ordered a coffee maker at something like 10:00 on night. The very next day, I am wondering why this white van pulls up in the drive and stops.

It was the coffee maker and it was something like 8:30 in the freakin' morning!

This does not happen with every order but it's not uncommon to get next day delivery on things that I have ordered on Prime.......and not once have they delivered anything that looks like UPS delivered it. Like with a forklift blade rammed through the side of the box. LOL

They do trip me out for (and I'm not kidding here) delivering a light bulb set for automotive use. You know, a 2" x 1" box would do but....I get a 4" x 4" box with bubble wrap inside a 12" x 12" x 5" box with air puff bubbles to protect the other box.......for a $1.88 purchase.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    They do trip me out for (and I'm not kidding here) delivering a light bulb set for automotive use. You know, a 2" x 1" box would do but....I get a 4" x 4" box with bubble wrap inside a 12" x 12" x 5" box with air puff bubbles to protect the other box.......for a $1.88 purchase.

Tom

From what I understand the ordering systems uses an algorithm to make sure the truck is packed full front to back to side to side, even if its a fair amount of empty space.

That way the boxes aren't falling all over each other.

The pickers get your list as well as are told which box size to put it in, which is why you sometimes get that.

We have the same thing here, we order something small and it comes in a box large enough to keep for the kids to play in lol...

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    I use them as a search engine. Most items I purchase, the vendors will ship free anyway, so I'll contact them direct, and they're out of state so no out of state sales tax.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • treitz3
    Options
    @EndersShadow

Eh, that makes sense. Kinda. Not for a $1.88 purchase but I guess at the end of the day when the dust settles for Amazon? They lose on some but save on others.

Still funny to me that they spent that much on packing and boxes for such a small Prime purchase.

Tom
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    @EndersShadow

Eh, that makes sense. Kinda. Not for a $1.88 purchase but I guess at the end of the day when the dust settles for Amazon? They lose on some but save on others.

Still funny to me that they spent that much on packing and boxes for such a small Prime purchase.

Tom

True, but think of it if they can reduce their returns due to shipping damage, that cost could more than make up for the loss of packing the trucks full to the brim with the smallest boxes for each item.

Doesn't mean I see how it makes sense, but I'm sure the numbers work in their favor or they wouldn't do it.

My brother was a picker for their warehouse and was confused often when he had to do exactly what your saying lol....

"I can't allow you to do that Dave, put the smaller box down....."
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • BlueFox
    Options
    For inexpensive items to return they just say “Keep it.”, and issue a refund.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,005
    Options
    Amazon customer since 1997. Love Amazon and prime. The prices hike does not concern me at all. Still worth it.
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • halen
    halen Posts: 677
    Options
    Long live AWS and our $120 billion Bezos!!!! Yeah. He is like three bill gates give or take...
  • BlueFox
    Options
    I am really more interested in how well his space business “takes off”. So to speak. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Options
    Not sure why but I find Bezos creepy AF
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    edited April 2018
    Options
    halen wrote: »
    Long live AWS and our $120 billion Bezos!!!! Yeah. He is like three bill gates give or take...

$134 billion as of yesterday......he made $12 billion in one day yesterday according to msn. One certainly has to admire that.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    No Prime for me because when I order from Amazon most of the time the shipping is free and it's here in one or two days maximum.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    Options
    120 a month is peanuts in trade for it's bennefits, but if you don't get down with the whole thnng maybe not?? We have no issue with the hike and thought it was time. By some stock!! Hmmmm
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • heiney9
    edited April 2018
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    No Prime for me because when I order from Amazon most of the time the shipping is free and it's here in one or two days maximum.

Really? I always make sure my order is enough for free shipping and the norm is 3-5 days with some shipments running a full 7 days. Occasionally it arrives in 2 days, but that's rare.

I have heard from many people they intentionally delay non-prime orders. Or rather they have a much lower fulfillment priority, so you still getting your non-Prime, free shipped items in one day is a HUGE exception.

H9