Denon 3808 with an Emotiva XPA-5 - Will it Match OK?

Options
VXR8
VXR8 Posts: 291
edited February 2009 in Electronics
G'day guys,

In transit still, but I have purchased a brand new Denon 3808 and am looking for a suitable power amp for my continual LSi speaker building. Remember, I am in Oz, so this stuff and other brands you refer to is not readily available here to buy over the counter.

I have been in touch with Emotiva, via email and have been dealing with Nick. Nick advises the unit will operate on 240V OK and they have units ready to ship. My questions are:

1. I currently only have the LSi9s as mains and in the future will purchase the LSiC and a pair of LSi7s - in the short term will the 3808 be OK to power the 9s if I don't turn it up too loud? (other Polks that will be hooked up are all 8 ohm)

2. My musical taste goes from Abba to AC/DC through to Metallica and Glenn Miller etc - will the XPA-5 plus the 3808 have the sound I need to make the LSi9s (and other LSi's when I get them) sing at their best?

3. My current Rotel RB-991 makes the 9s sound muddy, and they sound that much better currently hooked up on my Marantz SR-5300, rated at 90 watts RMS - hence my question # 1 which will be at 130 watts RMS.

My preference is 80/20 music/HT, so I would certainly appreciate your input. I can have the XPA-5 delivered here to Oz for about $1200 USD as compared to a Rotel RMB1095 that I can buy over the counter for $2495 AUD (RRP is $3299 AUD for the RMB1095). I was also advised that the Rotel 1095. although rated to drive a 4 ohm load, will sound a little too dynamic - hence looking for alternatives.

Thanks omce again in advance for your assistance.
Regards - Gaz from the land of Oz

Main System
Denon - AVC-4700H
Emotiva - XPA-9
Cambridge Audio - Azur 851C - CXUHD
Polk Audio - Legend L800 - Legend L400 - Legend L900 - LSiM fx - OWM3
SVS - PB1000 x 2
Foxtel - iQ4
Belkin - Pure AV PF40
Sony K77A9G

Front Room System
PS Audio - Sprout 100
Cambridge Audio - CXC S2 - CA752BD
Sony - UBX800 4K BluRay
Polk Audio - Legend L200
Post edited by VXR8 on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited May 2008
    Options
    VXR8 wrote: »
    G'day guys,

1. I currently only have the LSi9s as mains and in the future will purchase the LSiC and a pair of LSi7s - in the short term will the 3808 be OK to power the 9s if I don't turn it up too loud? (other Polks that will be hooked up are all 8 ohm)

2. My musical taste goes from Abba to AC/DC through to Metallica and Glenn Miller etc - will the XPA-5 plus the 3808 have the sound I need to make the LSi9s (and other LSi's when I get them) sing at their best?

3. My current Rotel RB-991 makes the 9s sound muddy, and they sound that much better currently hooked up on my Marantz SR-5300, rated at 90 watts RMS - hence my question # 1 which will be at 130 watts RMS.

My preference is 80/20 music/HT, so I would certainly appreciate your input. I can have the XPA-5 delivered here to Oz for about $1200 USD as compared to a Rotel RMB1095 that I can buy over the counter for $2495 AUD (RRP is $3299 AUD for the RMB1095). I was also advised that the Rotel 1095. although rated to drive a 4 ohm load, will sound a little too dynamic - hence looking for alternatives.

1) The Denon will power a 4ohm load on the main channels fine. A full 5 or 7 speaker package is when it will have problems.

2) I have no experience with xpa5 but I do have experience with Denon. the Denon in my opnion is flat, laid back with little or no Dynamic range. Running a 4 ohm load will kill the Dynamic's of it's internal amps. The xpa5 should restore dynaimc's but again I have no idea how they perform.

3) I can't even imagine how the rb991 muddied up the 9's. Rotel and mud don't even exsist in the same sentence. But sound is personal and opnions have to be respected. I don't agree with that.

4) There is no such thing as to dynamic. You want Dynamics. They more the better. Music is dynamic and when you replay it in your listening area, it's very good to have the ability to experience it fully. I personally own the rmb1095 and I can say it has very good dynamic range. Clear and detailed. Powerful and bold. I use 5 4 ohmm speakers and it barely gives off any heat.

Using a Denon as a preamp will yield it's sound quality no matter what amp you use. You will just add the ability to control the Lsi's.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • greene1968
    greene1968 Posts: 126
    edited May 2008
    Options
    i just got the xpa-5 last week..i replaced a lpa-1 with it. You will be impressed with the amp. Its neutral sounding, with loads of power..looks good to:D. Emotiva is a first class place to deal with.
  • LessisNevermore
    LessisNevermore Posts: 1,519
    edited May 2008
    Options
    VXR8 wrote: »
    G'day guys,

In transit still, but I have purchased a brand new Denon 3808 and am looking for a suitable power amp for my continual LSi speaker building. Remember, I am in Oz, so this stuff and other brands you refer to is not readily available here to buy over the counter.

I have been in touch with Emotiva, via email and have been dealing with Nick. Nick advises the unit will operate on 240V OK and they have units ready to ship. My questions are:

Thanks omce again in advance for your assistance.

1. I powered my LSi's from a Denon 2802 for several years without incident. As you said, as long as you don't get out of hand with the volume, you'll be fine.

2. I also have a little bit of just about everything in my music collection. The LSi's aren't very forgiving to bad recordings. The combination of the Denon, and my XPA 5 is a good match, so far. At 0 on the volume, in 2 channel direct mode, I was hitting 102db.(with subs) I do intend to replace the Denon with one of Emotiva's new processors when available, but not for any shortcomings, I want the new surround formats.:D

3. See # 1. :p The XPA is a great amp. The sound is the same as through the Denon, with more details and a lot more volume.
  • VXR8
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks for all of your replies. Sorry I have been in transit the last couple of days and only been able to log back on until now.

As for the RB-991 muddying the sound, let me also add I believe there may be an issue with this amp. I purchased it second hand and it needed repairs when I got it, so it may not be a Rotel sound issue, but just my particular amp (it appeared to work fine with the RTi10s - maybe the 8 ohm load didn't highlight the fault as much?). I haven't had the ability to comare it with another known good amp.

Otherwise, the Emotiva XPA-5 appears to get the thumbs up, from those who have responded. Thanks again for everyone's input, it is appreciated.

Main System
    Denon - AVC-4700H
    Emotiva - XPA-9
    SVS - PB1000 x 2
    Foxtel - iQ4
    Belkin - Pure AV PF40
    Sony K77A9G

Front Room System
    PS Audio - Sprout 100
    Sony - UBX800 4K BluRay
    Polk Audio - Legend L200
  • VXR8
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Hi Dan and all interested.

I hooked the Rotel up today for a Zone 2 speaker set and have verified there is an issue with this amp (still after repairs :( ). The left and right RCA inputs are reversed (red left channel and white right channel). This part appears OK other than being reversed, but the plot thickens.

I was adjusting the individual volumes on the zone 2 speakers and noted that when I was increasing the left channel volume on the Denon 3808, it was actually increasing the the right speaker :confused: . I then unplugged the left channel IC just to make sure I hadn't plugged them in incorrectly, but the right channel remained working (as it should) - so when I adjust the left channel, it adjusts the right speaker and vice versa (no external incorrect wiring).

It looks like some internal issues with this amp and back to the repairer it goes for a correct fix, at his expense. So Dan this would certainly explain the "muddiness" I was referring too - especially as the amp has to work harder to drive the 4 ohm load, and the 8 ohm Wharfedales it is driving now isn't as noticeable with the fault. I'm glad I got the 9's to highlight the problem and to investigate that little bit further.

Ciao for now.

Main System
    Denon - AVC-4700H
    Emotiva - XPA-9
    SVS - PB1000 x 2
    Foxtel - iQ4
    Belkin - Pure AV PF40
    Sony K77A9G

Front Room System
    PS Audio - Sprout 100
    Sony - UBX800 4K BluRay
    Polk Audio - Legend L200
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Try running the rear channels of the amp as fronts. Each channel has its own circuitry. If it is still muddy with the rears than I doubt the amp has serious sound issues. What are you running for IC's?
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • VXR8
    edited May 2008
    Options
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Try running the rear channels of the amp as fronts. Each channel has its own circuitry. If it is still muddy with the rears than I doubt the amp has serious sound issues. What are you running for IC's?
    Ben

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the response - the suspect amp in question is the Rotel RB-991 2 channel amp and not the Denon 3808 - the Denon is fine. As for IC's, I am currently using Tara Labs Prism 1100 (for the extra length I need at the moment), but was previously using Monoprice Premium RCAs - which were also fine.

Thanks.

Main System
    Denon - AVC-4700H
    Emotiva - XPA-9
    SVS - PB1000 x 2
    Foxtel - iQ4
    Belkin - Pure AV PF40
    Sony K77A9G

Front Room System
    PS Audio - Sprout 100
    Sony - UBX800 4K BluRay
    Polk Audio - Legend L200
  • teedee
    teedee Posts: 1
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Hi VRX8

im in Oz as well and really tempting to purchase an emotiva xpa-5. I wonder if you end up got that amp? if you did, how do you think it performs?

Many thanks!
  • VXR8
    edited February 2009
    Options
    teedee wrote: »
    Hi VRX8

im in Oz as well and really tempting to purchase an emotiva xpa-5. I wonder if you end up got that amp? if you did, how do you think it performs?

Many thanks!

Hi Tedee,

No I didn't back then, but now have an XPA-2, XPA-5 and RPA-2 on order, with me and Emo awaiting the funds to pay (my funds should have been there today). I will let you know how it goes when I receive them all ;)

Main System
    Denon - AVC-4700H
    Emotiva - XPA-9
    SVS - PB1000 x 2
    Foxtel - iQ4
    Belkin - Pure AV PF40
    Sony K77A9G

Front Room System
    PS Audio - Sprout 100
    Sony - UBX800 4K BluRay
    Polk Audio - Legend L200
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Sounds like Emotiva is everywhere on these boards. Cant blame you guys as they are offered at excellent prices. Definite review though. Congrats.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • Spike111
    Spike111 Posts: 15
    edited February 2009
    Options
    VXR8 I think you will be happy with your purchase. I am running a Denon 2808 and the XPA-5 with my new LCi 9’s and 7’s and I think they sound great. The wife even commented on the sound, almost fainted. Usually get the eye roll when I mention anything audio. Then yesterday I was watching Australian Pink Floyd on DVD and my 70 year old mother commented on the sound. Good luck with your new equipment.
    AVR: Marantz 7008
    AMP: Emotiva XPA-5
    Mains: LSi 15
    Center: LSiC
    Side Surronds: LSi 9
    Rear Surronds: LSi 7
    Sub: eD A2-300
    Bluray: PS3
    Turntable: Rega P2
  • hifi_lc
    hifi_lc Posts: 1
    Options
    I have experience with Denon 1xxx - 5xxx. Denon is a good product. However, with the speakers I have (Celestion SL6si), the Denon, including its AVR 5803, cannot make the Celestion sing.

I also tried using the fine amplifiers like Classe Ten and "hidden treasure" Interactive Labs Fatboy through Denon's pre-out, the sound would be improved marginally but not significantly. Not until I tried Lexicon's DC-1 and Integra Research's RDC-7, I realized that the preamp also plays an important role. The sound simply became transparent from the SL6si. For many speakers, the Denon may drive them fine, like my father's Denon 3808ci & Vandersteen 1 combination. They sound good in a small apartment. However, recently I used my "retired" Denon 3808ci in my kitchen, with the just-been-replaced-with-SL700se SL6 si. Again, the sound feels compressed and muted. The 3808ci can drive Celestion 3 OK. But I need to use Celestion 3 for my surrounds. With the SL6si, the sound simply does not "come out".

I then used 3808ci as preamp and placed the Acurus DIA100 as the amp. The result is on "somewhat improved" side. However, it did not provide a leap in sound quality. This simply tells me that Denon 3808's preamp section is not good for SL6si either. Then, I decided to give a try on Emotiva's UMC-1 (UMC-200 is said to sound similar. So I picked UMC-1 to save cost for a "kitchen equipment".) With the $200 used UMC-1 including shipping, plus the Acurus DIA100, the Celestion SL6si finally sings out! Obviously much more transparent sound! It does not quite sound like my home-theater system with the SL700se & Oppo 105 or my music system with Classe Ten & Vandersteen 2CE Signature, which have either more true sound production (from SL700se) or more refined and warm sound (from Vandersteen 2CE signatgure). However, I am very satisfied with this nice "kitchen system".

I am not trying to say that the UMC-1 beats Denon 3808ci out of water in general. But with the Celestion, yes, I do feel that way. A professional magazines did compare Emotiva's separates with Denon AVR and concluded that Emotiva system "raised the sound to a better level". This story is not for giving UMC-1 an A and giving Denon 3808 a C. I simply try to suggest people to keep trying in order to find the best of the combinations of preamp/amp/speakers.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    9 years... Not bad for a necro-thread.