Burson Audio V5i op amp Rocks!

A few months ago I acquired on Ebay a Tjoeb 99 Cd player which is a modified Marantz CD-38 player. I got it for $75 as it was not advertised as a tube player. These go for at least double that when they come up for sale online. When I got the player I decided to get new tubes as God knows how many hours the original Philips Jan 6922 tubes had on them and after extensive on line research I bought "butt ugly" NOS Amperex Bugle Boys from Brent Jessee for a deal. Forget Upscale Audio.

Not happy when hearing a somewhat muddy sound playing CDs as compared to same albums on my HRT iStreamer I decided to switch out the stock op-amp on this Tjoeb player which is the BB opa2604. After extensive research I decide on the Burson Audio V5i op amp for the excellent reviews and modest price. I was considering the OPA 627 but when I read about the Burson op amp and the increased sound stage and 3D imaging when compared to the more laid back sound of the 627, I went for the V5i. But is not cheap for an opamp.

Audio Lab which is a dealer of Burson Audio and is about 30 miles from where I lived stock this opamp and also sold it on Amazon for $65 for next day delivery free with a Prime membership. I ordered it the night before and it arrived the next day @ 6PM via Amazon delivery.

It was an easy switch out as Tjoeb installed an op amp socket for the opa2604. Even after only a few hours it transformed my Tjoeb player incredibly. CDs prior to the Burson V5i sounded a little muddy now sounded fuller with more depth and the midrange is also fuller and pushed to the fore front.

I am still a long way from burning in my new 4A and S4 crossovers that David from @westmassguy just upgraded. But I can hear after almost a couple hours a big difference this modest CD opamp upgrade made to my modest system of NAD 7020e receiver, Nakamichi CR-1A tape deck and Realistic 31-2009 12 band EQ.

Realistic SA-1500 integrated amplifier fully restored by Chris Ready
Realistic TM-1000 Tuner
Realistic 31-2000 Equalizer restored
Cambridge Azur 540C CD player
HRT iStreamer
Polk Audio Monitor 4A ClarityCap PX by westmassguy
Polk Audio S4 ClarityCap PX by westmassguy
Polk Audio S6 ClarityCap CSA
Polk Audio Series II Monitor 5JR+ stock at the moment

Comments