Modern medicine...

Options
... is flippin' amazing!

My wife went in for bi-lateral total knee arthroplasty yesterday morning. Out of surgery in 3 hours.
She started PT this morning & already has 90 degree range of motion in both knees.

She's being discharged from the hospital, to inpatient PT tomorrow & will be home in 3 days.
Bloody amazing what they can do.

And she's already referring to herself as "Carol the Cyborg"

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options
    Hopefully her name is Carol :D
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Glad she is doing well.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited April 2018
    Options
    It is amazing on what they can do. A few years ago my daughter went to the hospital with a ruptured appendix. She looked like she was about to die and they did emergency surgery on her at 1 am in the morning.

I visited her the next morning around 9:30 and she was in bed eating breakfast! At first I thought they made a mistake but she was OK'd by the doctor. She went home the next day. If it wasn't for all the IV antibiotic drips she would have been discharged even earlier.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    Some aspects are amazing, some aspects are not
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »

I agree with you there. If its something they can see and if can put their finger on the broken part (like a bad knee or a ruptured appendix) they know how to fix it.

Cancer, diabetes, internal things they cant see..............not so much.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    I have had a few knee surgeries over the course of decades and it is impressive how they improved over time. I am holding out on having both replaced hoping they will find a cure.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,098
    Options
    The cure from 1978 is what took my mother's life in 2017... People were not expected to live that long with the form of cancer she had, so they did enough radiation to make her glow in the dark and told her she would be doing well to make it to my graduation from high school.

Her medical history is astonishing to say the least.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,048
    edited April 2018
    Options

Oh yes.
    And I'm sure you see things from a different perspective than us lay folk Joey, given what you do & know.

From outside looking in, I'm just shaking my head in amazement.

And also, a hearty "Huzzah!" to the nurses.
    Hers have just rocked.
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    Options
    My poor dad has had 2 knee replacement on the same knee since January. The first one ended up with an infection that almost killed him. They had to replace everything again and put him on a pic line to his heart with heavy antibiotics for 12 weeks.
    He had to start over on PT and he is so weak from everything.
    The hospital infection rates are getting worse and I think our family has seen a new side of what they claim is normal risk and outcome.
    My mother goes in in July for her knee. I hope its a different story.

In my dads words...Retirement is just doctor appointments.
    I sure hope it changes for him.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • afterburnt
    Options
    @dolbyd I had a bud that never made it out of knee replacement surgery
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    @dolbyd I had a bud that never made it out of knee replacement surgery

Very sad for sure.
    The older I get the more I look at life as a gift with a learning curve we never stay ahead of.
    We should always appreciate what we have now because it’s always worse for someone else.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • Kingrat
    Kingrat Posts: 74
    Options
    delkal wrote: »
    It is amazing on what they can do. A few years ago my daughter went to the hospital with a ruptured appendix. She looked like she was about to die and they did emergency surgery on her at 1 am in the morning.

I visited her the next morning around 9:30 and she was in bed eating breakfast! At first I thought they made a mistake but she was OK'd by the doctor. She went home the next day. If it wasn't for all the IV antibiotic drips she would have been discharged even earlier.

I wish I had a quick in and out like your daughter did back when my app blew in '68. I was 12 and it wasn't fun. I woke up Sat morning feeling fine, but by 10am, I was feeling really bad. At 4pm, our family doc told my parents to take me to the ER, as he thought, correctly, that I had a bad appendix. I sat in an almost empty waiting room until 11pm, and when I finally went into the cubicle in the back, it was already too late. I told the doctor that "It doesn't hurt all that much anymore", and he swore and things moved really fast after that. Almost immediately after the surgery, I was running a fever and generally felt bad. The surgeon, who was our family's long time go to guy, told my parents he hadn't been called until 1030pm, even though the hospital claimed he had been called at 5pm. A week went by, and I wasn't any better. They were pumping antibiotics into me constantly, and they decided on the 8th day to pull my stitches out and put some odd hot pack on me to "try to make it drain". I stayed about the same until Sat night, 2 weeks after the surgery. I suddenly felt a lot better just before I went to bed. About 5am, I woke up totally soaked in pus. It was everywhere. I called the nurse, who cheerfully said, "Oh, you're finally draining!". At about 10 until 6am, the surgeon who was famous for early checking on patients, showed up and said, "Your fever is gone, you're draining, so you can go home!". I called my parents at 6:30, hoping they would come early to get me. My dad answered the phone, totally out of it, and he gave the phone to my mom, and said, "He says he can come home...I don't know what he's talking about!". Well those hours from 630 until 3pm seemed to drag on forever. All together, I missed over 4 weeks of school, and was transferred from the "smart kids" class to the "normal" kids class when I came back to school. I had to wear a giant pad to soak up the pus that continued to drain for week upon week. I was so happy when it finally stopped! One day, more than 9 weeks after I got out of the hospital, I got out of bed, stood up straight (Yay!), and it was officially over. I have a really nasty scar there. The cause of it all, it appeared to be a peanut got stuck in the top of my appendix and caused all the trouble.
    Cable atheist: They're just trying to get your money like a TV preacher!
    Vinyl system: I'm long done with the snap, crackle, and pop.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,050
    Options
    Glad to hear she did so well; that's certainly an amazing recovery. I've been under the knife 3 times for 3 unrelated problems in my 62 years and each time it was a complete failure. Twice I had to go back and they had to be redone correctly and the last screw up I'm going to let slide. The only way I'll ever go back in is if it's a life and death matter and even then maybe not as the count stands at 3 strikes I'm out.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    I had a gum infection recently and my Dentist prescribed good ole fashioned pencillin!
    Thank you Alexander Fleming (1928) for your discovery!
    2g915h5wgqgl.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Kingrat wrote: »
    delkal wrote: »

I wish I had a quick in and out like your daughter did back when my app blew in '68. I was 12 and it wasn't fun. I woke up Sat morning feeling fine, but by 10am, I was feeling really bad. At 4pm, our family doc told my parents to take me to the ER, as he thought, correctly, that I had a bad appendix. I sat in an almost empty waiting room until 11pm, and when I finally went into the cubicle in the back, it was already too late. I told the doctor that "It doesn't hurt all that much anymore", and he swore and things moved really fast after that. Almost immediately after the surgery, I was running a fever and generally felt bad. The surgeon, who was our family's long time go to guy, told my parents he hadn't been called until 1030pm, even though the hospital claimed he had been called at 5pm. A week went by, and I wasn't any better. They were pumping antibiotics into me constantly, and they decided on the 8th day to pull my stitches out and put some odd hot pack on me to "try to make it drain". I stayed about the same until Sat night, 2 weeks after the surgery. I suddenly felt a lot better just before I went to bed. About 5am, I woke up totally soaked in pus. It was everywhere. I called the nurse, who cheerfully said, "Oh, you're finally draining!". At about 10 until 6am, the surgeon who was famous for early checking on patients, showed up and said, "Your fever is gone, you're draining, so you can go home!". I called my parents at 6:30, hoping they would come early to get me. My dad answered the phone, totally out of it, and he gave the phone to my mom, and said, "He says he can come home...I don't know what he's talking about!". Well those hours from 630 until 3pm seemed to drag on forever. All together, I missed over 4 weeks of school, and was transferred from the "smart kids" class to the "normal" kids class when I came back to school. I had to wear a giant pad to soak up the pus that continued to drain for week upon week. I was so happy when it finally stopped! One day, more than 9 weeks after I got out of the hospital, I got out of bed, stood up straight (Yay!), and it was officially over. I have a really nasty scar there. The cause of it all, it appeared to be a peanut got stuck in the top of my appendix and caused all the trouble.

Holy moly
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    When I broke my arm, I was worried my arm would never be the same. But other than some scars on my arm, it better than it was before! My left arm is actually much stronger than my right hand, which it was before as I am left handed, but even more so. The only thing I wish had gone differently was that I broke my right arm instead. Writing with my right hand was awful, and even to this day my hand writing is suffering because of my arm break. I think anyway, because I had really good handwriting before I broke my arm and now... not so much.
  • afterburnt
    Options
  • mlistens03
    edited April 2018
    Options
    In 36 years? Yes. :wink:
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    In 36 years? Yes. :wink:

You put together pretty good grammer for a 4 yo
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Emma is 4.

You ain’t 4
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,683
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    @mlistens03 are you forty yet?

I would guess his high school diploma is 40.....weeks old. :p
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,683
    Options
    When they looked at his appendix the first time....

10zry8ahw9jn.jpg
  • mlistens03
    Options
    Oops. Still off by 10 years. Good job Micah :tongue:
  • Kingrat
    Kingrat Posts: 74
    Options
    [quote

Holy moly[/quote]

And even though the hospital screwed up and let me sit until it burst, my parents paid the bill and didn't sue!
    Cable atheist: They're just trying to get your money like a TV preacher!
    Vinyl system: I'm long done with the snap, crackle, and pop.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Modern medicine deserves it's accolades in some areas. What we can do surgically keeps advancing and technology in the medical fields keeps making leaps and bounds.

They also deserve a kick in the rear end too. Case in point....my 76 year old father in-law.

Since his late 40's, he was diagnosed with diabetes, had a heart attack, and has been on a boat load of prescription drugs since and a restrictive diet. Soon followed by kidney failure, bruised liver, heart failure. Every instance, they would just restrict his diet more, and prescribe a new drug to take.

I always knew all those meds were just **** him up even more, but....ya can't tell the older generations that because..."the doctor said...". You guys know the routine, doctors are Gods to some. All knowing powerful beings that should not be questioned.

Over this last winter, he fell on ice in his driveway. Tore up his shoulder, broke his wrist, bruised up his ribs. Being in such pain, he sat on the couch, took even more meds and before you knew it, his lungs started filling up with fluid. Not being able to breath, in pain, off to the hospital again. 6 weeks in the hospital...."Doctors said"....his kidneys were gone so they put him on dialysis pronto. "Doctors said"...he would be on it the rest of his life. He came very close to cashing it all in....very close.

Now another 4 weeks in rehab, to build up some strength, and we can't even touch his shoulder yet. He needs a major surgery on it and they won't touch it in his weakened condition. He lost 35 pounds in the ordeal.

2 things happened, that should have happened years ago, that saved his life. One- they completely changed his diet. All the things they told him he couldn't eat before, are now recommended. Huh ? wtf...right. Second- they took him off 17 medications completely. Takes some insulin, and a blood thinner, that's it. He had 3 days of dialysis, 3 days of ongoing rehab after they send him home with one day a week off.

Fast forward....he's completely off dialysis today, his kidneys started functioning....normally. Wait now, "the Doctors said", he'd have to be on it the rest of his life, that his kidneys were shot, gone. His Diabetes....has also improved to the point that he only takes half the insulin he did before, some days not at all.

Moral of the story.....Doctors don't know everything. Treat the problem, not the symptom. Drop the poundage....being over weight causes many health issues. Avoid as best you can, long term medications, they only have side effects that require additional meds to deal with.

In my opinion, Doctors are too quick to prescribe a medication without addressing the root cause of the problem. This is how your health issues snowball, and your prescription meds along with it. YOU are in charge of your health, not your Doctor. YOU know your own body best, nobody else. You also know what your doing wrong to your body, and the easy way for many is to take a pill rather than deal with it. Dealing with it may require some lifestyle changes your not comfortable with. We all make our own choices in the end.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,326
    Options
    @tonyb - just out of curiosity, what did they settle on as the recommended diet?
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Joey_V
    Options
    Therein lies the problem.

Doctors don't know everything.

But everyone else expects them to.

If it does not align, then here come the complaints and the lawsuits.

I am upfront with my patients, especially that ones that remain enigmas. I tell them, I don't know everything, here are things I'm concerned about, here are things I do know... you need to watch for this, this, this, and this - make sure to see your specialists, etc.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    daddyjt wrote: »
    @tonyb - just out of curiosity, what did they settle on as the recommended diet?

Funny thing is, it's almost non-restrictive. The only thing he has to watch or limit himself on is leafy greens, limit steak to 4 oz portions. Wine keep to one glass a day, which is hard for him. Other than that, he can eat what he wants....as long as his kidney functions stay up.

Before, he could eat no steak, no potatoes, no pasta with gluten, no bread, nothing with potassium, no salt, no butter, but all the greens he wanted....and seafood but no shell fish.

I always questioned why when his diet was so restrictive, he wasn't getting the nutrition his body needs to function. You can't replace nutrition with medication and chemicals. I can see portion control, as all Italians have a problem with that.

When on a boat load of meds though, something in xyz food will interfere with whatever drug. Problem is, almost every food group will cause problems with 17 different medications.

His main doctor, who is 65 years old and been around the block a few times, told us this is only the second case in his career where he's seen kidneys bounce back from basically not functioning at all.

Doctors themselves, get very little nutritional training, they leave all that to the specialists. So when they prescribe something, they have no idea, they are simply treating a symptom. Good doctors, will at least attempt to get to the root of the problem before recommending long term medication.

Your health is a 2 way street, between you and your Doctor. Both need to do their part. You just can't rely on a Doctor to do everything for you. Requires your participation too, and that means making changes when necessary. No Doctor can make up for a persons unwillingness to change habits and lifestyle.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Therein lies the problem.

Doctors don't know everything.

But everyone else expects them to.

If it does not align, then here come the complaints and the lawsuits.

I am upfront with my patients, especially that ones that remain enigmas. I tell them, I don't know everything, here are things I'm concerned about, here are things I do know... you need to watch for this, this, this, and this - make sure to see your specialists, etc.

I’ve recently had a bit of a health scare, it’s been an 8 month battle, that started just a week after my 34th bday last year. Woke up in the middle of the night with a fever, and felt like someone kicked me in the nuts. Was up all night peeing every 20 minutes and Felt like I fell down the stairs. Went to the doc the next day, my doc suspected an std, but have been faithful to the same girl for 5 years. Tests came back negative, and I was diagnosed with prostatitis (inflammation of the prostate). I was put on what I consider a very, very nasty antibiotic called levoflaxacin for 6 weeks. This stuff is absolutely nasty, I didn’t respond very well to this stuff, I suffered on it for 4 weeks, until I went to the emergency room from this stuff, I felt like I was slowly poisoning myself. I was then prescribed bactrim DS, which I took for another 4 weeks. All was well, and the Doc took me off the meds. 2 weeks later symptoms returned. To make a long story short I saw 5 different doctors, and not one could figure out what was wrong with me, that’s when they started looking for cancer. Prostate was small and smooth, blood tests for liver, PSA levels, kidney, ultrasound of kidneys, bladder, reproductive system and all my other bits down there to rule anything out, and all is normal.

Doctors referred me to a urologist, wait time is 4 months. So 4 months In pain, and doctors clueless as to what’s wrong with me, I’ve been diagnosed within 20 minutes of the urologist seeing me, with over active pelvic floor muscles. 2 1 hour sessions with a physiotherapist and 20 minutes of special stretches every night and I’m cured In less than a week. Zero pain, zero meds and Absolutely zero symptoms. Only if I could have seen the right person in the first place I wouldn’t have been suffering for 8 months, not to mention all of the time taken off work for all of these tests. There Nothing more terrifying than doctors searching your body for cancer because there is no other explanation of what’s going on. It’s been traumatic but I certainly have a different look at life now. I’ve always been physically fit, Ive been practicing martial arts for 6 years, and I eat healthy Whole Foods, and the gym 4-5 times a week. The specialist figures it was the heavy weight I’ve been pulling on leg days (deadlifting around 340lbs). So now I lift light weights with high volume like a girl.

But man do I feel good knowing I’m not dying! It’s taken my body at least 5 months to go back
    To normal from the war of antibiotics inside me. Holy crap that stuff is nasty. Stay away at all costs unless your dying. I eventually told them I won’t take anymore of it, they kept shotgunning meds at me with no clue.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.