Part time job paycut - just want to vent

Comments

• monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    After reading through this my first thought and reply to their email is, per my contract I take it this is my 60 day notice. That way you're not necessarily accepting the pay cut when you show up for work. And their reply will also let you know what grounds they have for breaching the contract.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    edited April 2018
    I’ll reread my contract later today just to see. They really knew how much to hit with, it’s like they knew the cut off to where I would likely say no and just went juuuuust above it. Pretty underhanded if you ask me.

Sounds to me like it’s not their first rodeo. They’ve done this before.

Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited April 2018
    Joey, you knew they had a shady rep, which is why you went looking for another part time job. Of course they have done this before, it is SOP for corps to do this kind of crap, and they have a ton of experienced lawyers to make sure they get their way.

The bottom line for them is the money. If they feel you are costing them too much, then they look for ways to dump you, and bring in someone cheaper or simply demand their current staff to do it instead.

You already have another job lined up, so just finish it out with a good reputation and move on to better things.

You might not like it, nobody does, but you aren't going to change it, and you've got decades ahead of you in the workforce to take care of business.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    Finish out your contract yet only give them the percentage of work based upon your pay cut. Sounds fair to me. Honestly, the contract should be honored unless it is written in the contract that new management has the right to revoke said contract.
    [
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    Joey_V wrote: »
    I guess everyone has a number.

And I have yours.... in a world where 5k might be the difference for many of us loosing our homes, or our families being in real financial trouble, you are worried that instead of 500k a year, now you only get 495k....

Suck it up and do your job and quit bichen about it like it’s some kind of crisis. I would really like to feel bad for you Joey, but somehow, I can’t. I have more important things to deal with.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Joey:

I just gotta say, if they are doing this, its because they know they can get away with it.

Your current contract is with a company that was bought out. You dont know what terms the buyout included.

It could be that the new company had language added to the buyout to insulate them from having to honor the existing contracts that were signed by a company that no longer exists (because they bought them out).

If I was a smart man, I'd say thats what they did. For now they are letting the dust settle a bit and contracts phase out before they do a total overhaul.

Just my .02c from someone who works with lawyers (just not lawyers who do contract law)

I dont think its wrong to consult your own atty to get their thoughts, but again I'm guessing if they are doing it, its because they know they can, or they know they have enough money to throw at the problem that you run out before they do and cave.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952

And I have yours.... in a world where 5k might be the difference for many of us loosing our homes, or our families being in real financial trouble, you are worried that instead of 500k a year, now you only get 495k....

Suck it up and do your job and quit bichen about it like it’s some kind of crisis. I would really like to feel bad for you Joey, but somehow, I can’t. I have more important things to deal with.

Yep...and more than that, many Americans couldn't even cover a $400 emergency without begging, stealing or borrowing. Granted, part of that is due to a lack of personal fiscal responsibility, but a big part of it is just the financial reality of our current world. https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/05/my-secret-shame/476415/

And a MAJOR part of the financial reality that puts on strain on so many people is the insanely high cost of medical care, the money that lines your pockets. You normally get paid $10,000 to work 3.5 shifts and you are crying to us that you will only get $5000? Seriously?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    From what I read it seems this is a management company and actual company ownership didn't change hands? If that's the case it seems your contract with them is still applies. If the actual company changed hands then the contract may no longer be valid.

To me it seems like the $5k gamble is worth it if you in fact have a valid contract that hasn't been voided by the above mentioned situation. I would get my ducks in a row, verify and then politely negotiate, by negotiate I don't mean settle for half. If after stating that they'd be out more by paying OT, and I didn't get my contract fulfilled, I would file suit and/or walk.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    lightman1 wrote: »
    lightman1 wrote: »
    I can teach you how to change light bulbs, Joey. What say you?

giphy.gif

Better than coffee, Dan. ;)

Yeah, right now my tolerance level is just at car battery levels. I'm working my way up to fork in a socket every morning to give me my needed jolt to wake up lol

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    @Joey_V,

As implied above, this sounds like a case of "constructive discharge," which (if you're not familiar with the term) means your employer does something that will make you quit because they don't have the integrity to tell you they no longer want or need your services. They don't really want to cut your pay; they want you to leave.

This begs the question: Does your contract have any provisions for severance pay if they do not give you proper notice or explicitly ask you to leave?

If there is a provision for severance pay that they think they can avoid by cutting your pay and forcing you out, then that is a pretty strong indication of what they are doing.

My advice would be not to burn bridges for what is apparently not necessary income for you. If your pride is hurt, thank them for the offer to allow you to stay but decline the offer and bid them farewell immediately.

If you want to be more aggressive -- i.e., "to burn some bridges" -- tell them you consider their actions to be constructive discharge and ask for their reasons for effectively terminating your employment.

My more important advice is for you to ask whether their action pertains only to you or to others in your place of employment. Are they shedding other part-timers? If not, you need to think about why they singled out you. You have not spoken very highly of them. A good and wise friend once told me, "If you don't like somebody, it's very likely that they feel the same way about you." Perhaps, they have learned of your feelings about them because of something you've said to a coworker or during your efforts to line up an alternative gig later this year.

Just some food for thought.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• GospelTruth
    GospelTruth Posts: 403
    All good advice and viewpoints. While things may tick you off with them, my opinion, like others, is to let it go. Finish out and leave on good terms. You may not be the only one leaving after this is all said and done. Once people start leaving it may be hard for them to retain good personnel on staff. They may call you back and at that point you could give them the terms of your contract - or respectfully decline and tell them based on how they treated you, you are not interested in coming back. Not that any of that will happen, but it is always best to leave on good terms.

After 4 years of working at an IT consulting firm and getting the low end of the evaluation bar EVERY year, I decided to call it quits with them. I kept getting put on bigger and bigger projects that were in turmoil and asked to turn them around. I kept doing that, but the partner I reported to had his pets and I was not one of them. So I turned down the last project they wanted me to go on (to once again turn around) and left gracefully. I still know a lot of people I worked with there who have moved on to other places and having a good reputation and being known as someone of good character is not something you can buy with money.

That $5000 will come back at some point in your career. Just being known as a good doctor of character may land you a bigger paycheck in the future.

All that being said, it's always good to have that fantasy dialog in your head of what you would like to tell them. Just try to keep in in fantasy land.

Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811

in a world where 5k might be the difference for many of us loosing our homes, or our families being in real financial trouble, you are worried that instead of 500k a year, now you only get 495k....

WOW you are loosing your home? no wonder you got cold feet with the Demon
    and is your family in financial need as stated?????WOW no wonder MaMa said NO to your newest toy............................
  • nooshinjohn
    edited April 2018
    NotaSuv wrote: »

in a world where 5k might be the difference for many of us loosing our homes, or our families being in real financial trouble, you are worried that instead of 500k a year, now you only get 495k....

and is your family in financial need as stated?????WOW no wonder MaMa said NO to your newest toy............................

WOW!!!! You are really good at reading into things, aren't you. I offered to show you a copy of the transport claim made by the dealership before I ever saw the car... do you need bank statements too? Unlike many here on the forum, you will NEVER see me posting about money woes in open forum. Stop trying to pick a fight with me over my not getting a freeking car and move on.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    It sounds like you might be "loosing" your mind. Wow.

• shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited April 2018

@NotaSuv
    What’s gotten into you man? Taking the liberty to post in multiple threads to needle John in this manner is not only tasteless but makes you look like a complete jerk. Not the passive aggressive stuff that you’ve been doing for the last few days. Give it a rest man
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Joey_V
    Joey:

I just gotta say, if they are doing this, its because they know they can get away with it.

Your current contract is with a company that was bought out. You dont know what terms the buyout included.

It could be that the new company had language added to the buyout to insulate them from having to honor the existing contracts that were signed by a company that no longer exists (because they bought them out).

If I was a smart man, I'd say thats what they did. For now they are letting the dust settle a bit and contracts phase out before they do a total overhaul.

Just my .02c from someone who works with lawyers (just not lawyers who do contract law)

I dont think its wrong to consult your own atty to get their thoughts, but again I'm guessing if they are doing it, its because they know they can, or they know they have enough money to throw at the problem that you run out before they do and cave.

Enders,

I think you are correct, there's something in the new language to insulate them. I will consult a lawyer but I doubt I can outmuscle them without @tonyb help.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V

All that being said, it's always good to have that fantasy dialog in your head of what you would like to tell them. Just try to keep in in fantasy land.

Good point.
  • Joey_V
    @Joey_V,

As implied above, this sounds like a case of "constructive discharge," which (if you're not familiar with the term) means your employer does something that will make you quit because they don't have the integrity to tell you they no longer want or need your services. They don't really want to cut your pay; they want you to leave.

This begs the question: Does your contract have any provisions for severance pay if they do not give you proper notice or explicitly ask you to leave?

Moose - you're on point, I think it is a constructive discharge. That's what I got from talking with the other docs today morning.

There will be no severance, I don't expect this new company to pony up for that.

Plus it's my part time, I don't think that was in the contract language.
  • Joey_V
    edited April 2018
    And all this hoopla, my finance friends get a check every March to the tune of 500K-1M dollars in bonus. I see patients for $100 each. I'm the devil?

You have a lot to learn of who really controls the pieces in this world.

FYI, medicaid or uninsured, when I see them - guess how much I make out of that? $15 per patient.

But yet, I take/shoulder all the liability all the same.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited April 2018
    Post edited by nooshinjohn on

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited April 2018
    John, you do have the option of not reading his threads, posts.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    Well, this has certainly devolved.....in before the close. Sheesh!
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    Alright fellas. Take a break......
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Joey_V
    edited April 2018
    Point made.
    Post edited by Joey_V on
  • nooshinjohn
    edited April 2018

• Joey_V
    edited April 2018
    EDIT: Point made fellas.

From where I come from, we celebrate the successes of others. I don't begrudge anybody. It don't matter if you play above or below me, I don't see it as that. I see it as that we are all playing.
    Post edited by Joey_V on
This discussion has been closed.