Amp opinions

I currently am running a pair of Totem Rainmaker speakers with a REL T5 sub and Cary SLP 03 Pre. Right now my amp is a single Parasound hca 1000a which my prefer over my previous BK amp. Here's the Q:
Thoughts on adding a second Parasound, running them in mono mode, and someday sending them away for upgrades to a place such as Big Sky Audio or even some interested forum member....thoughts on investment, sound, or other amp ideas....thanks

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    Sounds like a great setup, why make adjustments? Is there something specifically that you feel is lacking?
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I'm kind of in this boat right now. Because they aren't making any more Joule preamps, and it was almost twenty years old, I sent it in for a check up and to see what could be done to maximize it's potential. So far the bill is around $3K. It can get pricey if someone else is doine the work. I haven't looked inside that particular amp, but, most amps aren't as intricately designed as some equipment. If someone else is doing the work it will get pricey with bench rates around $100 an hour. If you're looking at upgrading a few caps I'd suggest doing it yourself. If, like the Joule, real estate is at a premium and a different layout is needed to upgrade the numerous caps, then eating the cost is just part of it.

Chances are you could achieve some considerable sonic improvement with some newer, and better, caps. That can get expensive as well. A couple of the caps I went with were $350 each, however, there are some good caps for less. That just happened to be one area where I was willing to splurge. In summary, it may be wise to let someone that understands amp topography, particulary that amp, have a look at it and discuss what he feels each set of upgrades will do for you.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Sounds like a great setup, why make adjustments? Is there something specifically that you feel is lacking?
    Its simply the never ending quest for better sound. Perhaps if each speaker had its own amp....imaging and detail would improve. Im also big on bang for your buck audio....the Big Sky upgrades for both amps would run under 600.00.
  • Clipdat
    Depending on your room size and listening habits, less might actually be more. Look into Dayens Ampino Monoblocks.
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Its simply the never ending quest for better sound. Perhaps if each speaker had its own amp....imaging and detail would improve. Im also big on bang for your buck audio....the Big Sky upgrades for both amps would run under 600.00.

• kevhed72
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Depending on your room size and listening habits, less might actually be more. Look into Dayens Ampino Monoblocks.
    What would a pair of those run...I have read some good feedback on the Dayens stuff....
  • Clipdat
    Get in touch with @DSkip he will get you sorted.
    What would a pair of those run...I have read some good feedback on the Dayens stuff....

• kevhed72
    Im rethinking the HCA1000s and considering an Adcom 5802 or a Parasound HCA 2200 II. These are both amps I have never owned but always wanted to try out. Also, these are both amps a place like Big Sky Audio can upgrade in the future if I get 'bored' with them. The Parasound is a bit cheaper and the Adcom can be a space heater from what I hear....
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    The Adcom is a tad rough around the edges in the upper frequencies, I'd scratch that off the list.

Personally, if your quest is better sound, step up to brands that offer it. In the amp world, McCormack or Belles would be a big step up. Also look for a Butler amp, which I think would pair well with that Cary pre too. Obviously everything depends on budget.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited April 2018
    I love Parasound amps. I like their tonal character, bass control, and lack of grain. They are also a heck of a value. Held on to my HCA-1500 for 16 years, and will hold on to my new A21 until they place it in my coffin with me. I can find nothing to fault about it.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Everything I have read indicates that running amps in bridged mono is a bad idea sonically. I agree that if you want more power, step up to an HCA-1200 or 1500, or if you have the funds, an A21.

On the other hand, I just took my HCA-1205A out and put in a little Dayens Ampino integrated (using it just as an amp) and boy oh boy does it sound sweet with some easy to drive speakers like my Dynaudios. And I have a pretty big room that opens up to the kitchen and then to another even larger room. So I would also look into Dayens Ampino monoblocks if they are in the budget. You could try the little ampino first to see if you like the sound signature...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer