Good cheap USB cable

Oh and how long is the longest you are supposed to go with USB?

Thanks

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    you're good with a 5M decent quality cable
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    you're good with a 5M decent quality cable
    BZZZT!!! I thought 16ft was the limit?!? :D

What're you using it for, Bruce?
    I just grabbed a couple of AudioQuest Forests to use in USB DACs. I like 'em. They got silbur.
    I disabled signatures.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    @txcoastal1 Ron are you sure, that's a lot of cable.

@msg Scott it's for my laptop to an ifi nano and to try my hand at digitizing some vinyl.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Nice, Bruce.
    5m/16.4ft is the "limit" on USB, iirc, without some kind of boosting/conversion, but I think that's more for non-audio USB. My understanding is that the shorter the better. With a reasonably decent quality shield USB cable, I'd go up to 5m/16 to try. Mine are 0.75m and 2m. I use the shorter one for a headphone amp/dac, and the 2m stays in the home office setup.
    I disabled signatures.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Just got a Wireworld Starlight 7 it easily trumps all my other USB cables don't go to cheap on one, unless you need a longer one than 2 meters.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • afterburnt
    @gudnoyez Steve this is not going to get a ton of use but I need at least 3 meters. I kinda thought I heard you weren't supposed to go more than 2 meters.
  • txcoastal1
    All seriousness, I used a 5M AQ Forest at most of my shows from laptop to DAC when I was running JRiver
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    I'm using a Forest with laptop to OPPO not bad at all and a good price. I heard up to 2 meters is best.
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    All seriousness, I used a 5M AQ Forest at most of my shows from laptop to DAC when I was running JRiver

Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • afterburnt
    edited April 2018
    Ron that Forest is too much. Any thoughts on the AQ Pearl? Even that's too much, I only got eight bucks of change out of my ashtray.

This Lucky Goldstar tablet's spell check bites!
  • txcoastal1
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Ron that Forest is too much. Any thoughts on the AC Pearl? Even that's too much, I only got eight bucks of change out of my ashtray.

Then move your chair or buy an Iphone/Ipad show your love to Apple u scrooge :D:D:D

• afterburnt
    Apple is not only not right; it is not even wrong! LG is just stoopid.
  • afterburnt
    I am gonna get the bottom of the line Wireworld cable
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Monoprice it is!

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5438
    Ron that Forest is too much. Any thoughts on the AQ Pearl? Even that's too much, I only got eight bucks of change out of my ashtray.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited April 2018

This Lucky Goldstar tablet's spell check bites!

Check the other ashtrays. :)

Look for a used one on US Audiomart. Your coin will go a lot further buying used. Though for the length you need and the budget you have, Monoprice is about your best option.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    I have the Pangea cable and it works great, nice and cheap too
  • afterburnt
    @AsSiMiLaTeD i have a Pangea silver that I like but it's too short it was cheap though.

@tonyb Amazon has a WIREWORLD for 42 bucks and I have a store credit so I can afford it.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited April 2018
    Find a Belkin Gold on eBay. Great quality, cheap. I'd stick with 3M or shorter.

Here is one (no affiliation)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Belkin-USB-Hi-Speed-Cable-A-B-10ft-3m-Gold-Series-24K-Gold-Plated-Connectors/222873620288?hash=item33e44d8f40:g:-bcAAOSw-WFaoXco
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    billbillw wrote: »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Belkin-USB-Hi-Speed-Cable-A-B-10ft-3m-Gold-Series-24K-Gold-Plated-Connectors/222873620288?hash=item33e44d8f40:g:-bcAAOSw-WFaoXco
    billbillw wrote: »

I made an offer of $7 and it was accepted. you can get the 6 ft cheaper.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • afterburnt
    @marvda1 same here. Thanks folks!
  • afterburnt
    @marvda1 how will you use it?
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    laptop to dac
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156