Monitor 10A passive radiator test.

Options
Hello Forum members, this is my first post after following the Vintage Forum for a long time. I have a mint pair of 10A's that are not giving me the full bass that I believe they should. I have checked the mid drivers for shifted magnets and they are good. When I push in and hold the PR the mids move out and stay there as long as I keep the PR pushed in. Based upon what I've read here on the Forum, the mids should start to return within 2 to 5 seconds. I have replaced the original gaskets on the PR's but that didn't make any difference.
I have tried moving the speakers to maximize the bass but they are still not satisfactory. Are my PR's indicating signs of an air leak?

Thank You for your help.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,577
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Some older drivers used thicker felt like dustcaps which would hold pressure better, but they would still slowly fall back to rest. My mw6600 as well as the original mw 6501 both have longer holding times. The first 10's used mw6500 maybe those also have a slower fall as well. Either way the way i read it sounds like you have a good seal on the drivers which is desired.
    What are you using to drive them?
  • fifty7rocket
    Options
    Thanks pitdogg
    Denon AVR-4308CI receiver. 140wpc into 8 ohms and 220wpc into 4 ohms.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Thanks pitdogg
    Denon AVR-4308CI receiver. 140wpc into 8 ohms and 220wpc into 4 ohms.

That should me more than enough power to drive some model 10's and your speakers are sealed like they should be.

I think the model 10A's have better bass response than the later 10B's. I was experimenting with a sub for my 10B's but quit using them for the 10A's

It is plenty base for me but if you like your music thumping you will need a sub.

• fifty7rocket
    Options
    Thank You delkal,
    I've been using subs but prefer not to.
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    Have the crossovers been rebuilt? If not, you may find that having those acient, well past their prime caps replaced will breathe new life into those 10a's. I found out that to be true with my 40 year old 10a's.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,048
    Options
    ^^^^^
    Concur.
    I've done 3 sets of monitor 10s over the past year & that was the first thing I noticed.
    That & the improved clarity of the middle