Coffee

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited April 2018
    tonyb wrote: »
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Now, I WILL admit to sugar in hot tea.....and I do indulge in an occasional non-sweet Latte.

Sugar in tea is Soda pop. :)

Can't drink coffee without some cream and sugar. Have to have something to cut that acid with or my stomach starts growling at me. Especially those darker richer roasts. Breakfast blends or lighter blends Like JBL I could probably do without the addition, but why change what your used to or like.

My x mother in-law used to to take pre ground folgers, that crap in the plastic jugs, pour some scoops into a pot of boiling water for a few minutes and pour it directly into her cup. Want to talk strong mud....she made Ellie May Clampant proud.

Tony, try cold press coffee. I drink it a lot in the Summer when I don't want to drink hot liquids. Cold press takes a 24-48 hours to steep. But because it's cold water all the acids and other byproducts in coffee aren't released so cold press coffee has zero acid and zero bitterness. It's not the same as brewing hot coffee and then cooling it. The brew actually takes place in cold/room temp water so it does take longer to extract the coffee flavor. You can also buy cold pressed coffee's, but they are sort of expensive. Some are concentrates you add cold filtered water too. I drink cold press exclusively in the warmer months. So smooth..............low acid, it's wonderful

It's wonderful for when my heartburn starts acting up.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Cold brew and vanilla milk almost every afternoon...delish...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Now, if y'all want to talk about tea, let me know ;)

Let it fly Doc I'm a tea snob:)

I knew I liked you!

:)

I'll start another thread anon... need to go take advantage of the sudden coming of spring to the north country & do some chores outside.
  • GospelTruth
    GospelTruth Posts: 403
    I'm not much of a coffee drinker, but Cooks Illustrated magazine always ranked the Technivorm coffee maker as the best of the best. If you've never read the magazine, it is a great magazine with no ads and they usually rank some kitchen gadget in every issue. They are $309 on Amazon and may be sold locally as well depending where you live.

Here is the article on how they deteremined the best coffee maker. It doesn't show the results, but the Technivorm was the winner (second link with the PDF shows the winner).

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/equipment_reviews/1405-best-coffee-maker-automatic-drip

http://www.technivorm.com/files/press/2008_september_usa_cooks_illustrated_searching_for_the_perfect_drip_coffeemaker.pdf
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited April 2018
    Technivorm FTW. My local shop Sweet Marias has been selling them for years: https://www.sweetmarias.com/product/technivorm-kbt-741-10-cup-thermal-brewer

Volts/Watts: 110v 1400w

Throw a Pangea AC-9 on there.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited April 2018
    Can't do the cold coffee thing Broch, need it hot or warm. Tea I can do cold, and often do. Choices though, for more heavy drinkers are limited to drip makers, or fully automatic espresso makers, unless you like the rigor of repeating everything for every cup. Anything less than a 12 cup maker won't work for me. 14 cup, even better, but only a few brands have those. Currently use a Kitchen aid 14 cup drip. Have my sights on a Gaggia Titanium auto too.

Espresso and regular coffee though are 2 different animals with different needs. Those of you who say the pods taste every bit as good as from a regular espresso maker.....I call B.S.

For a few reasons.

Whole beans ground right before brewing is the only way to go for regular coffee or espresso. You can't tell me pre ground coffee sitting in little plastic cups for months is in any way beneficial to preserving the taste.

When it comes to espresso, there are many variables that dictate the outcome. Aside from the coffee used, and the machine, the operator needs to have a certain level of skill. There is a learning curve to it, unlike a drip maker or pod machine....especially with a manual espresso maker. The grinding, the tamping, temp., length of time, can and will vary, by how much depends on who's operating the machine.

My sister has one of those pod things like Kerry mentioned, tasted like coffee out of the machine in a hospital. I thought McDonalds had better coffee. If that floats your boat though, rock on, audio and coffee are all about preferences.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Clipdat
    Oh also just so everyone knows, "dark roast" coffee beans actually have less caffeine in them than "light roast" coffee beans. Just a heads up.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Long time coffee snob...I have every type of pot known to man just about...and I have settled on Nespresso for many reason. Mainly, it's really good coffee. Every time. I have both lines of their machines, the Original as well as the Vertuoline. Machines are bullet proof, they have incredible customer service and a great range of coffee. I've had espresso from machines that cost $20-$30k and my $400 Nespresso is consistently better than any of them I've tried. They got this right.
    Their Intenso is my pod of choice B)
    Espresso and regular coffee though are 2 different animals with different needs. Those of you who say the pods taste every bit as good as from a regular espresso maker.....I call B.S.
    My sister has one of those pod things like Kerry mentioned, tasted like coffee out of the machine in a hospital. I thought McDonalds had better coffee. If that floats your boat though, rock on, audio and coffee are all about preferences.
    And cables don't make a difference ;) What do we say? "You don't know 'til you try."? Unless your sis has a Nespresso, you don't know, my man.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • heiney9
    edited April 2018
    Yeah, I don't buy that any sort of pod thing can taste as good as fresh ground. I know with some come with a pod that you can fill with your own coffee, so maybe that might get a little closer. But temp and brewing time is very precise to get good consistent flavor and I'm not sure the pre-set brewing time and temp in one of those pod machines is ideal for freshly ground coffee even though it's capable of using fresh.

I agree Tony, if you need large amounts of coffee per day a French press would not cut it. But they make great drip type machines that make 10,12,14 cups that make great tasting coffee. Just be sure and store it in a thermal carafe or the hot plate will ruin the coffee and turn in into driveway tar.....lol.

Even a great drip coffee maker using the same coffee in the French press tastes a little different. I have a Bodum French press I got when I got married in 1996. I got to keep it in the divorce and it's still chugging a long like new 22 years later. Granted it gets weekend use mostly, but it's a simple, great device.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • tonyb
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Long time coffee snob...I have every type of pot known to man just about...and I have settled on Nespresso for many reason. Mainly, it's really good coffee. Every time. I have both lines of their machines, the Original as well as the Vertuoline. Machines are bullet proof, they have incredible customer service and a great range of coffee. I've had espresso from machines that cost $20-$30k and my $400 Nespresso is consistently better than any of them I've tried. They got this right.
    And cables don't make a difference ;) What do we say? "You don't know 'til you try."? Unless your sis has a Nespresso, you don't know, my man.

She does have a nespresso, that higher end one that has the milk container too. Has the drawers to store all her coffee with different flavors and crap. I just used a regular pod with Columbia Supreme, so it said on the label anyway.

I suppose you could grind your own, use one of those re-usable pods that you can fill with your own coffee and get much better results. But man, the thing sounds like a cement truck when you turn it on. Nuthin' like waking up the rest of the house for a cup of coffee. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Does Emotiva sell coffee?
    Asking for a friend.

For such a laid back guy, your a bit of a troublemaker Mark. lmao
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • heiney9
    edited April 2018
    We should double blind taste test coffee, that's the only way to know for sure there are no sighted biases as to which one tastes better. :p:p

H9
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    I will put my fresh ground Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee up against any coffee...

Medium roast bold not burnt and low acid that you can drink all day. Plenty of caffeine.

If anyone has anything that tastes better.... send me some... For FREE!!!
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    She does have a nespresso, that higher end one that has the milk container too. Has the drawers to store all her coffee with different flavors and crap. I just used a regular pod with Columbia Supreme, so it said on the label anyway.

I suppose you could grind your own, use one of those re-usable pods that you can fill with your own coffee and get much better results. But man, the thing sounds like a cement truck when you turn it on. Nuthin' like waking up the rest of the house for a cup of coffee. :)
    :D True dat! Reminds me of jet turbine initially, then it starts grunting and groaning.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    edited April 2018

Therein lies the problem. The Columbian versions of the pods are the ones I can't stand. They put out varietals every few months and I usually find them to not be my patucular taste. I like the Roma and Cafe Cubano in the espresso pull, and, Envivo in the long pull.

The Vertuoline has an Alto that is a 14oz pull that is why I plunked down money for that line. I go back and forth.

Everybody knows tonyb has strong family ties to the stove top espresso pot, and, knows better than to go against da family.
  • Mikey081057
    For the price of pods and k-cups you could be drinking real Kona or Jablum

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Exactly! And not putting all that plastic into the landfill.
  • Clipdat
    edited April 2018
    To be fair, they do offer a free recycling program where they send you a polybag with a UPS prepaid label on it to fill up and send back for the pods to be recycled.

Yes I realize the irony in expending fossil fuels to ship back used pods for recycling.
    maxward wrote: »
    Exactly! And not putting all that plastic into the landfill.

• Mikey081057
    And all the disposable cups and lids that people use along with them? Can you put them in the pre-paid poly bags too?

• Clipdat
    Settle down there Jimmy Turbo before you blow an o-ring!
    And all the disposable cups and lids that people use along with them? Can you put them in the pre-paid poly bags too?

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Love coffee! This is the guy we use. Bonavita 1800TH. Excellent machine, lots of reviews out there.
    9u66g11f4lst.png

The Mrs. uses this every weekday and makes me a delicious travel mug. On weekends we have a cup together in the morning.

The best cup of coffee in the world is one that is prepared by someone who loves you! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Mikey081057
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Settle down there Jimmy Turbo before you blow an o-ring!

How am I blowing an o-ring? perhaps you need to temper your comments and be less disrespectful. To the blocked list you go! I am sure I am not the first or the last.

• Clipdat
    edited April 2018
    Oh the irony!

Sounds like someone didn't have any coffee this morning.
  • tonyb

Therein lies the problem. The Columbian versions of the pods are the ones I can't stand. They put out varietals every few months and I usually find them to not be my patucular taste. I like the Roma and Cafe Cubano in the espresso pull, and, Envivo in the long pull.

The Vertuoline has an Alto that is a 14oz pull that is why I plunked down money for that line. I go back and forth.

Everybody knows tonyb has strong family ties to the stove top espresso pot, and, knows better than to go against da family.

Actually Kerry, between us....I can't stand the stove top espresso makers. Horrible stuff they produce, yet some will swear by them.

Coffee is simply a matter of tastes, like arguing Dunkin' Donuts coffee vs. Starbucks and so on.

Though Dan hasn't chimed back in, I'd like to get an idea of what kind of coffee he's talking about. A drip coffee, an espresso ? Did he have a Cappuccino ? Wasn't very specific so it's hard to help him replicate it here.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • verb
    edited April 2018
    mantis wrote: »
    Hello everyone,
    I just got back from Brussels Belgium where my wife and I spent 8 days and 7 nights there. We had an amazing time.
    One thing that really stuck out besides Waffles, Chocolate and Beer is the Coffee served. It started in our Hotel Softiel I think it was called in Brussels had some amazingly thick creamy and wonderful non bitter tasting coffee. Then we went to Lunch at this bakery coffee shop called Paul and they had basically the same kind of thick rich full flavored coffee.
    In Ghent I had more of this style coffee as well as when we went to Buggie which was really close to England across the water.
    I have Kurig and for years I found it to be fine to brew a single cup for myself as years ago my family wasn't really into coffee. Now my wife is drinking coffee over tea as well as my Daughter and Son. What kinda sucks now is I'm less then happy with any choice I buy now for the Kurig. I usually drink organic Columbian with Honey and half and half and I'm not all that thrilled to drink it.
    Without buying the crazy machine they have over there what is a really good quality coffee maker?

I love coffee from Europe! When I lived in Germany I noticed that they grind the coffee into a much finer ground than what you normally get here. It creates a much richer brew IMO. If you have an Aldi (German Grocery Store) in your area, they do import German brands, including coffee and chocolate!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    Ironically, instant coffee is very popular in Europe too! Remember Nescafe? Big brand out there. My parents immigrated from Europe, all Dad drank was Nescafe, or Taster's Choice! :smile:
  • verb
    Some of the worst coffee I've had is in Asia. The Koreans and Chinese love the instant coffee too!
    a7mg9m99ijk2.png
    Available pre-mixed with cream and sweetener. The package is actually used as a stir! Not good. :confounded:
  • tonyb
    verb wrote: »
    Ironically, instant coffee is very popular in Europe too! Remember Nescafe? Big brand out there. My parents immigrated from Europe, all Dad drank was Nescafe, or Taster's Choice! :smile:

Yep, I don't get that one either. Seems like the poorer folks gravitated to the instants or stove top espresso makers. That instant crap would certainly clean out the plumbing though that's for sure.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kharp1

Actually Kerry, between us....I can't stand the stove top espresso makers. Horrible stuff they produce, yet some will swear by them.

Coffee is simply a matter of tastes, like arguing Dunkin' Donuts coffee vs. Starbucks and so on.

Though Dan hasn't chimed back in, I'd like to get an idea of what kind of coffee he's talking about. A drip coffee, an espresso ? Did he have a Cappuccino ? Wasn't very specific so it's hard to help him replicate it here.

I agree with ya there, Tony. I know people that swear by those things, but, I've had one and used it trying to perfect coffee from it, but, it was terrible. You're burning the coffee and recycling it over and over.

I was just poking a little fun at/with ya.

• kharp1
    For the price of pods and k-cups you could be drinking real Kona or Jablum

I use to have coffe sent in a five pound sealed bag from Kona from a lady that owned Halama Farms in Kona. Good coffee, but, I was getting a good price buying it in five pound bags directly from her and it was still $110 plus shipping. We got (we, as in back when I was married) coffee from her for about five years. Last time I ordered from her was in 2009. $21 a pound was on the cheaper side for pure Kona.

Most coffee being sold as "Kona" isn't really Kona, but a blend. Usually only 10% has to be Kona to be called a Kona blend. Real Kona is a treat, but, it's still "American" coffee and nothing like espresso which has an ideal temperature, grind size, pressure and time commingling with the water to give it it's distinctive cup. I like American coffee sometimes, but, prefer espresso on a regular basis. I have a Keurig for those times when I'm home and want an "American" cup. (not to be confused with Americas Cup).

I've been out of town for 8 days and I've been on Keurig the whole tie an can't wait to get home tomorrow for a Nespresso.