4k Blu ray players

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,056
Hello all,
Now that Oppo is leaving the market , who are you going to look to for your future 4k Blu ray player purchases?
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options
    Sony. Panasonic. Samsung. In that order.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Panasonic.

Supposedly releasing 4 different UHD players this year. Two in summer and the two higher end models and in fall. If true, I'll get another Panny player.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Sony. Already have a UBP-X800 and have been very happy with it. As much as I liked my Oppo BDP-103, I don't miss it in any way.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    If you're not a videophile you can get a Xbox One S for $200 that is a 4K UHD Blu-ray player as well as 4K Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, YouTube, etc. Plus it'll be way more snappy in the menus than any set top player and you have the added luxury of video games if you so choose.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mantis
    Options
    rpf65 wrote: »
    Panasonic.

Supposedly releasing 4 different UHD players this year. Two in summer and the two higher end models and in fall. If true, I'll get another Panny player.
    I find it odd that Panasonic left the TV market in the USA but still sell them over seas.

Dan
  • mantis
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Sony. Already have a UBP-X800 and have been very happy with it. As much as I liked my Oppo BDP-103, I don't miss it in any way.
    The x800 is nice but I feel Sony did all you guys dirty with not releasing Dolby Vision to it. The 1000es also did not get a Dolby Vision upgrade. From what I remember they where both supposed to. Sony Released a cheap replacement for the X800 in the X700 and it's a junky player and cheaply built
    Dan
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    Options
    One with stereo RCA outputs. I don't care to return to the full 5.1/7.1 set-up, nor the room anymore. I could just use digital outputs but don't care for the sound as much.

Whenever my BD-A1010 dies I'll be looking but even Stereo RCA outputs are getting harder to find anymore...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    I got this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076HQ99Z6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I found a refurb on Amazon for $51 shipped! No streaming (ethernet for firmware only) but its fast, looks great to me and bitstreams Atmos. The truth is that my smallish (by today's standards) mid level 4k TV probably isn't revealing enough for me to notice much difference between players, so I am happy with this one...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    Options
    I got an x700 because of the price. I don’t notice anything junky about it. It’s a little loud with some discs so I tossed it in the media center behind a door and can’t hear a thing now. I just want it to play DVDs and that’s certainly what it does. Having dual HDMI out also helps tons because my preamp isn’t hdcp whatever compliant.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I just ordered another Oppo 203. Some day I will upgrade my basic TV from a 1998 Panasonic 32” CRT to a new TV with an HDMI input. My original plan was to use the Oppo 103 I have stored in the garage with it, but reading this thread reminded me of how much I love the Oppo 203 with my 75” Sony Z9D TV in the HT. So, I just ordered another 203. Now I have both a spare, and am ready to go when I get a new TV.

Anybody want a free TV?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    I’m hoping that in a year or two I can get a deal on a used Oppo, anything new that I can afford is pretty well junk.
  • bms
    bms Posts: 182
    Options
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    I got an x700 because of the price. I don’t notice anything junky about it. It’s a little loud with some discs so I tossed it in the media center behind a door and can’t hear a thing now. I just want it to play DVDs and that’s certainly what it does. Having dual HDMI out also helps tons because my preamp isn’t hdcp whatever compliant.

I also picked up a Sony X700 and it’s doing a great job. However, if they don’t release the promised DV upgrade this summer, I’ll be pissed.
    bms
    Family Room:
    Onkyo TX-RZ920
    Outlaw 2200 monoblock amps x 3
    Sony UBP-X700
    Sony A80J 77” OLED
    Polk LSiM 705’s
    Polk LSiM 706
    Polk LSiM 703’s
    Polk RTi4's
    Dual SVS PB13-Ultra’s
    PC13-Ultra

Bonus Room:
    Onkyo TX-SR806
    PS3
    Panasonic TC-P42G10
    Polk RTi10's
    Polk CSi5
    Polk R50's
    SVS PB10-ISD

For sale:
    Onkyo TX-SR603X
  • firsttimer
    firsttimer Posts: 87
    Options
    Lgup970 plays Dolby vision, HDR and anything else I have thrown at it.
    Cannot really say anything negative about it. Two hdmi out one for video and one for audio. I know it is a pretty basic player but I have been very happy with it.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    Can we get some room treatments in here? There's a really bad echo.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    Barryflash2727 and ronw1309 reported as spam
  • mantis
    Options
    Do you feel the X800 is as good as the Oppo 103 for SACD and DVD AUDIO CD playback?
    Dan
  • mantis
    Options
    rpf65 wrote: »
    Panasonic.

I wish Panasonic would release their TV' back into this market as well as a Universal player. The market is wide open for both.
    Dan
  • mantis
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    If you're not a videophile you can get a Xbox One S for $200 that is a 4K UHD Blu-ray player as well as 4K Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, YouTube, etc. Plus it'll be way more snappy in the menus than any set top player and you have the added luxury of video games if you so choose.

True I have the Xbox One X as well.
    Dan
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    Do you feel the X800 is as good as the Oppo 103 for SACD and DVD AUDIO CD playback?

I haven't found any noticeable differences but I can't A/B them now. But I also focus most of my music listening to my 2 channel in my office outside of concert blu rays.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip