EL-34 Tube Monoblocks in the House.

I recently picked up a pair of VAS Audio Citation II Monoblocks. I wanted to get back into an EL-34 Based Amplifier, and the Citations were just what I was looking for. They are rated at 50 Watt @ 8 Ohm (Ultralinear) and 25 Watt @ 8 Ohm (Triode), a perfect match for the efficient SDA's.

http://vasnyinc.com/pages/c2.php

These little Jewels have have transformed my 2-Channel set up, I can't explain just how good these Amps sound, that EL34 Tone is Intoxicating. Detailed, yet smooth is the picture being painted now. The sound I've been chasing for years, is finally here.

I have a Quad of Genalex Gold Lion KT-77's on tap now, and the presentation is as Emotional as I've ever experienced in my place. At this moment, I could not be happier.

The Citations are deceiving, as they weigh in at 31 lbs. each. They sport some very good Transformers that are dead quite, not a hint of Tranny Hum.

mjzdn5eh7wa6.jpg

bwjubypg84g6.jpg

eb3vhm6v7o4r.jpg

Comments

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    Attaboy!!
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Hey George, looking forward to rolling in those Shuguang Treasures!
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,165
    Nice! It looks like the stock tubes are Shuguang EL34B's? Great tube IMHO. Can't wait to hear your impressions about the Shuguang Teasures. I thought about buying them but I was worried that the black paint would cover up the nice tube glow.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Glad I could help you buy them. Sweet!
  • Mike Reeter
    Nice! It looks like the stock tubes are Shuguang EL34B's? Great tube IMHO. Can't wait to hear your impressions about the Shuguang Teasures. I thought about buying them but I was worried that the black paint would cover up the nice tube glow.

I have some Gold Lion KT-77's in them now. Also have a Quad of EL34 SED SVETLANA Winged C's I've yet to roll in.

I'm not sure what the stock tubes are, but they do look very close to the Shuguang EL34B's. They sound VERY good for "Stockers".

vt6mb6bp7hu6.jpg
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Glad I could help you buy them. Sweet!

Many thanks Russ, all financial help is appreciated :)
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    Simply beautiful!!
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    That is a beautiful setup - nothing like the sound of EL34's, can't argue with that, all delicious and liquid, approaching magic, the sonic equivalent of twilight for photographers. Congrats!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    vt6mb6bp7hu6.jpg
    That's a really cool picture. The grey top section of the tube captured your reflection. You look like you're trapped inside the tube, like a genie in a bottle.

• Mike Reeter
    Hermitism wrote: »
    vt6mb6bp7hu6.jpg
    That's a really cool picture. The grey top section of the tube captured your reflection. You look like you're trapped inside the tube, like a genie in a bottle.

LOL, now if I could just find Barbara Eden from back in the day :p

• george daniel
    zuul wrote: »
    i'm so jealous. congrats.

my anthem amp 1 is EL34 based... i don't know what kind of music you listen to but after rolling some tubes in and out over the years i've found that as far as "new" tubes go svetlana hard blue tubes are great for the majesty of rock. guitar feedback is such that it sounds like there's a marshall stack in your room. matching quads for those are affordable.

i still aspire to get some NOS german power tubes for it some day... but for now i settle for having fancy NOS preamp tubes in it.

but yeah... those monoblocks are killer. enjoy!

Have you done the cap upgrade on that anthem?
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Nice Mike! Really nice . . . but now you've piqued my curiosity!

Signed,
    The Perpetually Enabled
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Mike Reeter
    i'm so jealous. congrats.

my anthem amp 1 is EL34 based... i don't know what kind of music you listen to but after rolling some tubes in and out over the years i've found that as far as "new" tubes go svetlana hard blue tubes are great for the majesty of rock. guitar feedback is such that it sounds like there's a marshall stack in your room. matching quads for those are affordable.

i still aspire to get some NOS german power tubes for it some day... but for now i settle for having fancy NOS preamp tubes in it.

but yeah... those monoblocks are killer. enjoy!

Yeah, those nos European Power Tubes are getting outa sight! Thanks for rec on the Hard Blue Tubes, I'll check them out.

• Mike Reeter
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Nice Mike! Really nice . . . but now you've piqued my curiosity!

Signed,
    The Perpetually Enabled

Glenn, If an interested party would call Steve @ VAS Audio directly, they might be surprised at the price of admission. Just sayin...
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    That is one very fine looking set up. I like the attention to symmetrics to; very well done.
  • george daniel
    I guess that I am just dumb and slow,,but these are based off the old he tube amps ,many of which are still around,, good sounds eh?
    Congrats!!
  • Mike Reeter
    edited April 2018
    I guess that I am just dumb and slow,,but these are based off the old he tube amps ,many of which are still around,, good sounds eh?
    Congrats!!

Well, that's the story George. Old Harman Kardon Citation design, split in two (mono's)

They are built offshore, but to exacting specs, with good components. All Point-Point hand wired, etc. Tube Retified as well.

Change out one capacitor and they'll accept the KT-66/KT-88 family. And yes, they sound Real Good ;)

• Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Very nice Mike. Looks like I need to make another trip up to your place.
    Ride safe and see you tomorrow.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Nice Mike. Are those custom stands that you made for the amps?
  • Mike Reeter
    edited April 2018
    Legender wrote: »
    Very nice Mike. Looks like I need to make another trip up to your place.
    Ride safe and see you tomorrow.

Doors always open. Safe travels to you as well.

Post edited by Mike Reeter on
  • Mike Reeter
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Nice Mike. Are those custom stands that you made for the amps?

Yes, I like too keep things off the floor!
  • Mike Reeter
    TEAforONE wrote: »
    Simply beautiful!!
    MrBuhl wrote: »
    That is a beautiful setup - nothing like the sound of EL34's, can't argue with that, all delicious and liquid, approaching magic, the sonic equivalent of twilight for photographers. Congrats!
    DSkip wrote: »
    Awesome man! The el34 is second only to the 845 for me.

Your system is definitely show-worthy.
    i'm so jealous. congrats

those monoblocks are killer. enjoy!
    That is one very fine looking set up. I like the attention to symmetrics to; very well done.

Thanks everyone for all the Positive comments. I just wanted to gush a little about these stellar little amps!
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Nice looking room Mr. Mike!!!