PSW505 light on rear not switching from red to green

Hi - My subwoofer PSW505 randomly stopped switching from standby to on mode. The sub does not turn green even if manually put on the On mode. There is distorted sound if played at a loud volume. On low volume there is No sound.

Any help much appreciated.

Best Answer

Answers

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. In all likelihood the bass amplifier needs to be replaced or repaired. Best to contact Polk's CS department at: 1-800-377-7655 select option 1 and they'll help. Have your unit's serial number and date and place of purchase handy when you call.
    Regards, Ken
  • Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. In all likelihood the bass amplifier needs to be replaced or repaired. Best to contact Polk's CS department at: 1-800-377-7655 select option 1 and they'll help. Have your unit's serial number and date and place of purchase handy when you call.
    Regards, Ken

Hi Kenneth - Unfortunately i am currently in India and Polk cannot ship a replacement to India. So support from Polk seems like a no go. I am technically sound so probably I can troubleshoot. The Relay switch no longer makes that click sound when it turns on so I think most probably its a power related issue.

Any items I should check first?

Thanks any help much appreciated.
  • [Deleted User]
    Hello,
    Let me try and get the amplifier's schematic and I'll send it to you.
    Regards, Ken
  • Hello,
    Regards, Ken

Many Thanks Kenneth, Kim did get in touch with me. Appreciate the brilliant support and responsiveness I would not expect any less from a brilliant brand Polk.

Cheers!
  • longindo
    longindo Posts: 1
    hi kenneth
    i have exactly the same problem as above and i'm in Malawi where polk can't ship a replacement. would appreciate the tech support.
  • [Deleted User]
    Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. I'll send your email address to Kim at Polk and I'm sure he can help.
    Regards, Ken
  • Hello I have the 505 and noticed when I came home hearing noise coming from sub as if it is blown I checked woofer doesn't seem to be blown can I purchase a replacement woofer
  • Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. Contact Polk's CS department at: 1-800-377-7655 select option 1 and they'll help.
    Regards, Ken
  • First time calling for service took care of my issue gave order number shipping out replace right away that's good service
  • I'm glad they were able to help so quickly.
  • How do I check on order for shipping status for replacement amp for 505 sub
  • If you haven't received an email with the tracking number give them a call at 1-800-377-7655 select option 1. Tomorrow morning.
  • I have the same model, a PSW505, last week it began losing audio, I ran it through several sources, I was only able to get faint audio with the speaker in. Fuse is ok, and connections seems ok when I took the plate off. Couldn't get my fingers all the way through the baffling to feel the connection to the speaker, but I gave it a gentle tug and it seems secure. The only think out of sorts on the board looks like some of reddish-molasses colored screw adhesive has tracked a little on the board (doesn't seem like it would have broken anything) The consensus seems to be my board is shot. Is it worth trying to troubleshoot more as a novice or should I just replace the board?
    ps previous to this, no buzzing or distortion... it just stopped.
  • Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. The best thing to do is contact Polk's CS department at: 1-800-377-7655 select option 1, with the long weekend they won't be back next Tuesday, I imagine. They will ask about the date and place of purchase.
    Regards, Ken
  • joeelectronic
    joeelectronic Posts: 1
    edited February 2018
    I encountered the same problem with "PSW505 light on rear not switching from red to green". It also makes a low frequency noise while in standby mode. It is out of warranty, anyone knows what to look for on the amplifier board? Thanks.
  • Unless it's a burned resistor or leaky capacitor there's not much to actually look for on a circuit board. Most likely a component has failed but still looks okay from the outside. Polk can offer very reasonable repairs, certainly worth contacting them at 1-800-377-7655 select option 1.
  • surge
    surge Posts: 1
    I just started to have the same problem. The light in the rear when switched on turns yellow now instead of green and makes some crakle sounds
  • [Deleted User]
    Hello,
    The place to begin is with Polk at: 1-800-377-7655 select option 1 and have serial number and date of purchase handy when calling.
  • Today my PSW505 went on the fritz as well. Initially, it was sending out low muddy notes not in sync with the rest of the audio. I noticed the light was red on the back of the unit. I actually have an extra Paradigm sub I hooked up to the LFE using the same RCA cable from the wall and it worked fine. The Polk sub will start red, flash to green, stay green and work for a while, then flash back and forth quickly while losing signal, then go back to red and lose all signal. Pretty sure it’s out of warranty, but also relatively confident I could fix it if anyone had an idea of where the problem lies?
  • Thank you this forum ,for this post. Todat my PSW505, gone bad while watching Missions Impossible Fallout. Flickering and cracking sound. Now watching without sub.

Was not expecting this issues with Polk when first purchased.

How I can get this resolved?
    Thanks

• My PSW505 started doing the same. Seems to be stuck in standby. The red LED light stays on no matter what I do. I would be much appreciated if I could get this problem solved. Thanks...
  • Hello,
    You'll want to contact Polk CS at: 1-800-377-7655 select option 1 and have the sub's serial number available when you call.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    For Those who care.....

Check for low voltage on the 7815 regulator off to the side of the amp board. Mine was bad reading 12.8 volts out. The capacitors go bad in these bash amps and put excessive draw on the 15 volt positive regulator. Replace the bad capacitors then upgrade the 1.5 amp l7815. I work on servo amps for a living and am a bit disappointed with the amp used in this sub. CS was no help even though i have over a grand into this polk stuff. RTI8, RTI4, CSI5, PSW505.

Have a nice day.

Nice tidbit of info there, thanks for posting it. Unfortunately that may be only valuable to those of a DIY nature, others would have to take it to a shop and the cost would outweigh the value of the sub. So unless your the handy DIY type, your best bet is to forgetaboutit and move on to another brand of subwoofers.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • I was given a Psw505 that does not work. The power led stays red and there is no sound. Any ideas? I can’t find a schematic and I’ve been away from doing this for a while.
  • dsenela
    dsenela Posts: 1
    For Those who care.....

Check for low voltage on the 7815 regulator off to the side of the amp board. Mine was bad reading 12.8 volts out. The capacitors go bad in these bash amps and put excessive draw on the 15 volt positive regulator. Replace the bad capacitors then upgrade the 1.5 amp l7815. I work on servo amps for a living and am a bit disappointed with the amp used in this sub. CS was no help even though i have over a grand into this polk stuff. RTI8, RTI4, CSI5, PSW505.

Have a nice day.

Thanks a million for this very useful info. Mine went on a fritz too. Persistent red light with constant crackling sound. Any chance in knowing which specific capacitors you replaced on the amp board?
  • dudaindc
    dudaindc Posts: 6
    Hello,
    Regards, Ken

Any chance I can get a copy as well? I have the "non-Bash version" of the plate amp.
    The power supply works just fine, and I managed to confirm that signal is present at the output of the pre-amp board. So I know I have a bad power output board.
    Thanks!
  • dudaindc
    dudaindc Posts: 6

Thanks a million for this very useful info. Mine went on a fritz too. Persistent red light with constant crackling sound. Any chance in knowing which specific capacitors you replaced on the amp board?

For the Bash amps, I always replace ALL electrolytic caps in the power output board.
    The ones close to the power regulators, use 105C rated caps.
    Since the regulators run really hot, I also bend their terminals so that they are as far as possible from caps.
  • kimkid254
    kimkid254 Posts: 1
    Hi guys , my polk audio sub PSW505 seems to be stuck on standy mode and when it does work , it some times produces a crackling noise .....am in Kenya so support from Polk is not an option for me , Can anyone share the amps schematic?